MLB to SkyDome

CC97

Word 'round the stadium is that Major League Baseball has ordered the SkyDome to get rid of the Astro Turf surface for the 2005 season after receiving complaints from the player's union, and after inspecting the field themselves.

I suppose it's almost a certainty now that the almost 40 year AstroTurf era is coming to an end as the Blue Jays will more than likely be using FieldTurf in 2005.

Last MLB game on AstroTurf: October 3, 2004 - New York Yankees at Toronto Blue Jays.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Good! Once I found out about Field Turf, I hoped and prayed that the Jays would rid themselves of that ugly, nearly-flourescent green crap they're playing on now.

Is there any word if the Jays will keep the base cutouts or if they'll switch to a full infield ala Tampa Bay? My guess would be that they keep the cutouts, but one never knows...

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Is there any word if the Jays will keep the base cutouts or if they'll switch to a full infield ala Tampa Bay? My guess would be that they keep the cutouts, but one never knows...

Cutouts for sure... there's too many events at the Dome to have to keep taking the dirt out and putting it back in.

---

Chris Creamer

I would prefer the cutouts if I were an infielder. I wonder if they are using their own surface or share one with the Argos, which I think is unlikely.

I don't think that'll happen... they have been using seperate surfaces since at least 1997.

---

Chris Creamer

Cutouts for sure... there's too many events at the Dome to have to keep taking the dirt out and putting it back in.

Good news.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Cool. That's what I thought.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

Im glad! I went to a Blue Jays game against the Orioles a few years ago on vacation and the turf reminded me of the Reds playing on turf at Cinergy Field. (Not something you wouldnt want to remember)

Signature intentionally left blank

And I before I forget, the turf at SkyDome has always been a problem during afternoon games in July and August when the roof is open. It gets waaaaay too "spongy" and the ball takes unpredictable bounces. Hell, it even does that when the roof is closed. And most people say the difference between playing on natural grass and Field Turf is negligible. Welcome, shredded Firestones!

Wagner Athletic Group

Crapsto Turf will linger on for a little while at colleges, and from experience some grass fields are nearly as bad as the fake stuff due to being dirt with loose grass over it. But in the bigtime, Crapstoturf is dead. And the celebration begins ^_^

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Exhibition Stadium was astroturf too, because, if I recall my very little CFL knowledge, Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium is the only grass field in the CFL until the CFL in America experiment which was after the Jays and Argos move to SkyDome. If MLB is cheap, they could move the Field Turf from Montreal to Toronto as a gift. :D

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived