The NBA is moving away from the term "owner"

O.C.D

I had to look it up...

I guess this means that "Holmer" and "Clarkie" run the team?  That explains a lot.  I've never heard of Dave Scott - I'm kind of surprised that Comcast Spectacor still owns the team, rather than it just being Comcast now that Snider is gone.  Looks like they use "governer" as well, despite being an overwhelmingly white team in an overwhelmingly white league.

Chairman & CEO of Comcast Spectacor, Governor Dave Scott
President, Business Operations Philadelphia Flyers & Wells Fargo Center, Alternate Governor Valerie Camillo
President Paul Holmgren
Senior Vice President Bob Clarke
Alternate Governor Phil Weinberg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I had to look it up...

I guess this means that "Holmer" and "Clarkie" run the team?  That explains a lot.  I've never heard of Dave Scott - I'm kind of surprised that Comcast Spectacor still owns the team, rather than it just being Comcast now that Snider is gone.  Looks like they use "governer" as well, despite being an overwhelmingly white team in an overwhelmingly white league.

Chairman & CEO of Comcast Spectacor, Governor Dave Scott
President, Business Operations Philadelphia Flyers & Wells Fargo Center, Alternate Governor Valerie Camillo
President Paul Holmgren
Senior Vice President Bob Clarke
Alternate Governor Phil Weinberg

But remember, when there's "ownership meetings" in the NHL, it's the Board of Governors.

LvZYtbZ.png

So there you have it.  For the first time in modern history, the NHL was a leader and trendsetter on something.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So there you have it.  For the first time in modern history, the NHL was a leader and trendsetter on something.  

Other than creating the NBA to fill stadium dates. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/26/2019 at 7:17 PM, Wings said:

Millionaires being paid by Billionaires. They're all :censored:ing wealthy. Next. 

"LeBron is rich. The man signing his checks is wealthy." --Chris Rock

And I'd say he's right. Athletes are rich, very few are wealthy. Many, many athletes go broke after retiring. Wealth is generational. Plenty of people are rich, very few have real wealth.

Indeed.  

And as if earning what you’re worth means you can’t have any concerns ever, or you lose your rights to speak out. 

As we’ve sadly seen all too clearly, an NBA paycheck can’t insulate an African-American player from the same daily issues faced by every single African-American in our country. Ask Sterling Brown if he’s too rich to care. 

On 6/25/2019 at 8:03 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

First, it's not for me to tell black people what should and shouldn't offend them.  I think any reasonable person, regardless of color, would understand the meaning behind the word from a business standpoint and be able to separate it from implying that they're slaves, however, I've heard the term used in certain contexts that have made me uncomfortable, specifically a time on SportsCenter where they were talking about a player and flat out said "he's going to have to explain himself to his owner" (don't recall exact player, but it was an NFL player that did something bad.)  Obviously, they meant his "team's" owner - there was no intent to offend, but just the fact that the term could very easily come up in that context probably makes this a smart move.

Also - why are pro sports the only area where the term "owner" is used at all?  You don't hear about the "owner" of Staples, the "owner" of PetSmart, etc. (intentionally selected private companies.)  Is it because it's a "franchise" deal? 

EDIT: also, in case anyone hasn't noticed, race relations and sensitivity / consideration are at their lowest point in a looooong time, so I don't have any issue with him making this gesture, whether truly necessary or not.  

Sums up pretty much how I feel (I think I saw that SportsCenter episode too).

I'll add that the term "owner" really does sound archaic and kind of silly in the context of pro sports. We're not talking about the guy who owns your local Dairy Queen.

Where was Adam Silver when we needed him in the 1860s to rename them "executive vice presidents of agricultural internship operations"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

43 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Where was Adam Silver when we needed him in the 1860s to rename them "executive vice presidents of agricultural internship operations"

I don't like this part of your schtick. It seems needlessly mean spirited.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 6/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, DG_Now said:

There are a whole lot of snowflakes who complain about other people they think are snowflakes. We need a term for it.

Projection is a psychology term that basically means "people who accuse others of doing the things that they themselves do." I took AP psychology (and no other AP classes), not to brag about how smart I am as a 30 year-old college student, so you should probably just accept that I'm right.

Archived