Teams that ignore their 90s identity

The inspiration for this topic is the Buffalo Sabres, who are NOT ignoring their 90s identity.

ERXZDfX.png

Many teams wear throwbacks of identities they started using in the 80s or before, but sadly it seems a lot more rare for teams to wear throwbacks of identities they started using in the 90s.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

80s nostalgia is high right now. In about 5-10 years, I'm sure you'll start to see more 90s throwbacks. It hasn't been that long since the 90s, so just give it some time and then teams will start rolling them out. 

@Ark

You see 90s nostalgia pop up where it was notable, I think. The Raptors embrace 90s throwbacks, as an example. As do the Hornets. And the Coyotes.

The Canucks are throwing back to their early/mid 90s look this upcoming season. As are the Rockets. And the Sabres are, to an extent. The Ducks have as well. 

So I think it’s incorrect to say 90s throwbacks get no love. They certainly do. 

Give it 5-10 years ... you’ll see more 90s throwbacks. Jazz mountain jerseys, Rocket pajamas, Hawks gut bird, etc. if people want it ... people will sell it.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I agree with Ice Cap - I don't think the '90s are ignored as much as the OP thinks.  Add the Devil Rays, the Cowboys with their double-star unis, T-wolves, and I'm sure a few others.  We also hear about the Sixers waterfall throwbacks every year, though I'll believe them when I actually see them (I have been seeing more merch with that design lately, fwiw.)

It's certainly not at the level of the '80s throwbacks, but it's also not nothing, and certainly gaining momentum.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Ark said:

ERXZDfX.png

I had no idea they were going to acknowledge the red and black years, good on them for that.  Wouldn't mind seeing the black jerseys return for a special event as a one-off.

14 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I had no idea they were going to acknowledge the red and black years, good on them for that.  Wouldn't mind seeing the black jerseys return for a special event as a one-off.

I don’t think the Sabres have ever had a uni set where the white jersey wasn’t superior over the colored version.

28 minutes ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Pistons.

What is teal?

The Pistons have no reason to reference the teal years. Though I did see teal Grant Hill throwbacks on sale in Tampa. If they're selling them in Tampa they're probably selling them in Detroit.

The Pistons' teal look falls into the category of 90s unis that didn't really leave that much of an impact. Remember, not every 80s, 70s, 60s, etc... uniform gets featured as a throwback. Only the ones that represented noteworthy teams or were otherwise memorable looks. The Raptors made a statement with their 90s look that stuck with people. It didn't age well, and the team was right to drop it. Still, it's remembered fondly. Compare that with the Pistons' teal, which was a huge departure from the traditional look. And represented some awful basketball between two championship eras where the team wore their traditional colours.

In that context? It's not hard to see why one look has nostalgic value and gets an on-court throwback while the other doesn't.

Just now, Bomba Tomba said:

Back on topic: Bucks and purple

I could see the Bucks throwing back to the purple set for a game or two. The problem is that their current identity is still new-ish, and so they may be trying to promote that above all else.

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

I could see the Bucks throwing back to the purple set for a game or two. The problem is that their current identity is still new-ish, and so they may be trying to promote that above all else.

Speaking from experience, the Bucks' purple period is well-represented in Milwaukee with plenty of retro gear. It's probably the second most popular set behind the current look and just in front of the later Irish Rainbow. It helps that the last period of relevance for the Bucks prior to the current one was the purple/green/silver/black squad led by Ray Allen. 

4 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Warriors. Even the home jersey they wore at the last regular season game at the Oracle were of the 2000s variety instead of the late 90s one.

More people are nostalgic for “We Believe” than they are for “Latrell Sprewell attempts to assault PJ Carlesimo.” That and the 1997-2002 set is nowhere near as good-looking as the 2002-10 uniform package.

y4b0eg7itey1fu1vt9279gh0n.gif>0fuux96ff0zunjmxgugw2ewhd.gif

The original Basketball Sentai Warrioranger set took things a little too far and they have little success to justify the adoption. Compare that to the Run-TMC set that was around in the ‘90s and remains very popular.

20160427__sjm-richmond-0428-011.jpg?w=50

Archived