Teams that ignore their 90s identity

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm just sitting here, hoping for either of the Winter Classic jerseys to be the base of a new identity.

Speaking of popular '90s throwbacks that should be a bit more "in vogue,"

andre_tippett_1993_09_12.jpg

Aside from the shoulder numbers, this is the best the Patriots have ever looked.

This one would look better with a red facemask . . . and I'm saying this as someone who loves grey facemasks.

55 minutes ago, Ark said:

More like these for the Patriots

wire-1763874-1511252132-497_634x928.jpg

PIT98120604.jpg

Nope.  I can never get past the MASSIVE shoulder logos.

My perfect marriage of the two --

1.  Use the numbers from the second set.

2.  Swap the TV numbers and the shoulder logo.

3.  Reduce the size of the logo to the size on the first set.

4.  Use the helmet from the second set.

5.  Flip a coin to decide which pants stripes to use (I lean toward the second set, but the first set is a nice unique touch).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm just sitting here, hoping for either of the Winter Classic jerseys to be the base of a new identity.

Speaking of popular '90s throwbacks that should be a bit more "in vogue,"

andre_tippett_1993_09_12.jpg

Aside from the shoulder numbers, this is the best the Patriots have ever looked.

Those are still my favorite pant stripes of all time.  Cannot believe they ditched them so fast. 

This was a great uniform and I'd love for them to make a throwback.  It'd be neat to see Tom Brady in it.

Curious to see how it would translate to current templates.

pats-jags.jpg?w=420&h=236

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

47 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This was a great uniform and I'd love for them to make a throwback.  It'd be neat to see Tom Brady in it.

I literally just bought a blank Adidas Authentic jersey from this era just to stitch Brady’s name & numbers on... would be so easy considering the the exact helmet carried over... so long as they don’t shrink the shoulder logos like Dallas did recreating the 90’s alt.

17 hours ago, MBurmy said:

This was the first thing that popped in my mind...the Cavs love to feature EVERY throwback of theirs (including some recolored fauxbacks)...EXCEPT for these:

spacer.png

spacer.png

That is the ugliest uniform I ever saw in my entire life. Just plain ugly. I am glad those were burned in 2003-2004.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Curious to see how it would translate to current templates.

pats-jags.jpg?w=420&h=236

They would have to shrink shoulder Elvis there to make it work. Plus make the T.V. numbers slightly smaller so that the Nike swoosh could fit. I like those Patriots uniforms.

Oh, and

See the source imageWhat's wrong with these Suns uniforms? They look bad ass!

On the Patriots, the 1994 set, basically a hybrid of the 1993 and 1995 Uniforms, is underrated and forgotten. It has the Pants and Facemask from the Latter, while having the Jersey from the Previous, but fixing the TV Numbers.

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

4 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

They would have to shrink shoulder Elvis there to make it work. Plus make the T.V. numbers slightly smaller so that the Nike swoosh could fit. I like those Patriots uniforms.

Since TV#s aren't a requirement anymore (at least for throwbacks), they could just lose them altogether to make it work.

Also... those Suns uniforms would look just fine today.  I don't really associate them as a '90s design, because I really think they would look good in the '00s, '10s, '20s, etc.

22 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

On the Patriots, the 1994 set, basically a hybrid of the 1993 and 1995 Uniforms, is underrated and forgotten. It has the Pants and Facemask from the Latter, while having the Jersey from the Previous, but fixing the TV Numbers.

spacer.png

That was a really good set.  100x better than the red-numbered version, and a uniform that they could have worn for a long time, however, since they did introduce those Apex uniforms, that's what the Patriots of that era are associated with, and the one that would make the most sense to throwback to.  The giant-Elvis set is my favorite Patriots uniform, but the 'hybrid' one is also a great one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Since TV#s aren't a requirement anymore (at least for throwbacks), they could just lose them altogether to make it work.

Also... those Suns uniforms would look just fine today.  I don't really associate them as a '90s design, because I really think they would look good in the '00s, '10s, '20s, etc.

That was a really good set.  100x better than the red-numbered version, and a uniform that they could have worn for a long time, however, since they did introduce those Apex uniforms, that's what the Patriots of that era are associated with, and the one that would make the most sense to throwback to.  The giant-Elvis set is my favorite Patriots uniform, but the 'hybrid' one is also a great one.

I could see the Phoenix Suns wearing that today. The s**t they have on right now looks like it was a downgrade from the Barkley era uniforms. So was the ones before the new design.

I think the Patriots should throwback to their 1994 look.

I'm not sure what the word is, because it's certainly not "classic" or "timeless", but that Suns jersey like "classic from this day on", or "timeless from this day on".

It may have been doable in the 70s or 80s, but wouldn't have fit in well with "classic" uniforms from way back when (as opposed to something like the Bulls, Celtics, Lakers, current Sixers, etc.), but from the moment it debuted until... well, still going, it fits in just fine.  "Modern classic" maybe?

Blue/gold or red/black goathead should come back as a third jersey for the Sabres 100%.

That said, it should also accompany a return to royal and blue and dropping silver on the primaries. 

I love the goathead as a third, but shouldn't come back as the primary.

Besides the b sword. That should be a shoulder patch on all the jerseys. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I remember seeing the goathead jersey in a sporting goods store (before the season had started, so it hadn't hit the ice) and I thought it was the coolest jersey ever... but I had no idea what team it was for.  There was no internet, so I figured there was expansion and I didn't know - but I still wasn't sure the team name.  It didn't immediately look like a buffalo to me... but I didn't know exactly what it was, just that in person, it looked bad ass. 

Then when I saw it was for the Sabres, I got a little ticked, because while I wasn't a big fan of their previous set - I think it looked "old" even by that era's standards - I hated that they changed their color scheme.

So yeah - great uniform - just not for the Sabres.  IMO the alts from that era really sucked, but the primaries - especially the white - were really good.

Those Patriots uniforms SCREAM 90s. Huge, loud and in your face.

”We made this Flying Elvis logo and damnit WE WANT YOU TO KNOW!!!!” Each uniform change the Patriots did in the 90s, he got bigger. Any more changes that decade and he would’ve eaten the entire uniform. Would’ve looked like an NFL Europe team. 

XM4KeeA.png

On 7/3/2019 at 9:43 AM, MBurmy said:

This was the first thing that popped in my mind...the Cavs love to feature EVERY throwback of theirs (including some recolored fauxbacks)...EXCEPT for these:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well, this statement will become false this upcoming season...

I only just realized this now (since I'm working on a project that uses this font), but those Cavs wordmarks are totally a variant/modified version of City. They've angled the serifs and added inlays (while also adjusting some numerals to fit more with the bold version), but the basic guts of the font are City.

City.gif

City is a good font for sports design, since it has a distinctive flair and can feature all sorts of effects (bevels, inlays, shadows, multiple outlines, etc.). I like it more than Agency, that's for sure.

I always liked the Giant Elvis Patriots uniforms. 

I'm honestly surprised they haven't done any kind of throwback to them at all. Since with the Helmet rule, it is the only one they could do.

Would like to see Brady in it just one (Gronk would have been cool too wearing Coates Number) 

I guess either Belichick or Kraft just don't like them. 

11 hours ago, simtek34 said:

spacer.png

If they used this, but had the "3D" effect of the Giant Elvis jerseys I think that would be a perfect throwback. 

Also Side note, I always LOVED the Red Numbers on the White Elvis Jerseys.

PIT98120604.jpg

14 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Blue/gold or red/black goathead should come back as a third jersey for the Sabres 100%.

That said, it should also accompany a return to royal and blue and dropping silver on the primaries. 

I love the goathead as a third, but shouldn't come back as the primary.

Besides the b sword. That should be a shoulder patch on all the jerseys. 

Honestly, the Blue/Yellow Sabres is what I like. The Black/Red ones sucked in my opinion.

Archived