Teams that ignore their 90s identity

7 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

I always liked the Giant Elvis Patriots uniforms. 

I'm honestly surprised they haven't done any kind of throwback to them at all. Since with the Helmet rule, it is the only one they could do.

Would like to see Brady in it just one (Gronk would have been cool too wearing Coates Number) 

I guess either Belichick or Kraft just don't like them. 

If they used this, but had the "3D" effect of the Giant Elvis jerseys I think that would be a perfect throwback. 

Also Side note, I always LOVED the Red Numbers on the White Elvis Jerseys.

PIT98120604.jpg

That was a fresh new start for the Patriots. Their 1995-1999 unis were growing on me until the navy blue ones in 2000 reared in!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, simtek34 said:

On the Patriots, the 1994 set, basically a hybrid of the 1993 and 1995 Uniforms, is underrated and forgotten. It has the Pants and Facemask from the Latter, while having the Jersey from the Previous, but fixing the TV Numbers.

spacer.png

I think I'd forgotten about this one.  It's a solid mix of the other two . . . and better overall than both of them.

9 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

If they used this, but had the "3D" effect of the Giant Elvis jerseys I think that would be a perfect throwback. 

This is pretty much my description from above.

That said, it would be a fauxback instead of a throwback since that combination never existed.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Im kind of tired of this whole throwback crazed era. It kinda jumped the shark if you ask me. This whole decade has been weirdly hyper-nostalgic as whole.

It feels like in the 20th century we aesthetically peaked as a society and now we’re just always trying to recapture it

On 7/8/2019 at 4:12 PM, McGlinchey23 said:

Im kind of tired of this whole throwback crazed era. It kinda jumped the shark if you ask me. This whole decade has been weirdly hyper-nostalgic as whole.

It feels like in the 20th century we aesthetically peaked as a society and now we’re just always trying to recapture it

Nah, that’s not it at all. Think about it. What happened in the mid/late 90s that differentiated it and the years after from everything that came before? Merchandise. 

It’s around this period that you start to see pro sports realize and play into the idea that they can merchandise the hell out of their brands. Not to say it didn’t exist before. You could get hats and t-shirts and other knack, maybe even a jersey if you knew the right outlets. The mid/late 90s though? That’s when merchandise really took off. 

It’s no surprise that this coincided with the widespread rise of the alternate jersey. Once merchandising exploded in the mid/late 90s? Jerseys became products. And why have only two products to sell when you could have three? And why have three when you could have four?

That’s why our era seems to have been getting increasingly throwback-crazy since then. It’s not because we peaked and we’re all desperately clawing for the good times. I’d hardly call the mid-90s peak anything in terms of sports aesthetics, aside from “peak garish.” 

No, it’s because as merchandising became a bigger and bigger revenue stream? Teams needed more product. More identities to sell. So you come up with a new alternate every few years, but throwbacks? Ready made designs you don’t need to come up with. With built in nostalgic or vintage appeal. 

Of course teams would lean into it. Why wouldn’t they? You’re leaving money on the table if you don’t do a few throwback nights a season. 

On 7/8/2019 at 4:12 PM, McGlinchey23 said:

How so? Look at all the Beautiful Retro Throwback Baseball Parks. I'm sorry give me that OLD TIME Feel yet Modern PNC Park over that Cigarette Ashtray Cookie Cutter (Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Veterans Stadium in Philly, River Front Stadium in Cincinnati, Busch Stadium in St. Louis and (even though it was a Dome) the Astrodome in Houston) Three Rivers Stadium every day of the week!  You mean you would rather have the puke '90s Ford Mustang instead of the NEW / RETRO(ish) Modern Ford Mustang? Got punchy with the keys, accidently hit enter...LOL!

As far as Uniforms, sometimes the Retro Look looks better than the Current look! As a Pens fan, HATED that pos pigen logo (laundry list of reasons), QUIT buying Pens merchandise because of that logo, many older Pens fans like myself felt betrayed by then owner howard ass hat baldwin and yearned for the Skating Penguin to come back

On 7/1/2019 at 8:13 PM, Ark said:

This is the same bad argument Penguins fans use. Uniforms are about looks. Full stop.

Which reminds me,

mario-lemieux-3.jpg

636511738375475775-331473.JPG?width=534&

800px-Mario_Lemieux_2001.jpg

And this logo in general

penguins4.jpg

My Eyes kill that pos pigeon  KILL IT!!   There is more to the Long Time Fans disliking that logo / uniform set than just the looks of it

When someone calls that logo the pigeon or robo penguin you know they are very biased and aren't even being truthful.

It looks a lot more like an actual penguin than the Skating Penguin logo does.

1000x-1.jpg

Just now, Ark said:

When someone calls that logo the pigeon or robo penguin you know they are very biased and aren't even being truthful.

Almost like opinions are opinions and not truths.

1 minute ago, Ark said:

It looks a lot more like an actual penguin than the Skating Penguin logo.

Cool. The cartoon penguin's a more fun logo.

Now I already answered why the Penguins have no need to throwback to the robo-penguin look. It doesn't represent anything worth remembering.

There's no question the so-called "robo-penguin" shouldn't replace the logo associated with five Stanley Cups.  But why it can't be used on an alternate is beyond comprehension.  It's the same basic concept as the primary logo, only done in a more realistic style and would be a far better option than simply removing the triangle from the cartoon penguin.

11 minutes ago, Ark said:

1000x-1.jpg

100%.  It's a beautiful logo that happened to show up at the wrong time.  Anything that replaced the logo that was just seen with two Stanley Cups was going to be unfairly crapped on.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:14 PM, Ark said:

More like these for the Patriots

wire-1763874-1511252132-497_634x928.jpg

PIT98120604.jpg

I'd be happy if my Patriots would just wear silver pants with the white jersey on their current set, like they used to with the '90s era set.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

5 hours ago, Fitzy0220 said:

How so? Look at all the Beautiful Retro Throwback Baseball Parks. I'm sorry give me that OLD TIME Feel yet Modern PNC Park over that Cigarette Ashtray Cookie Cutter (Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Veterans Stadium in Philly, River Front Stadium in Cincinnati, Busch Stadium in St. Louis and (even though it was a Dome) the Astrodome in Houston) Three Rivers Stadium every day of the week!  You mean you would rather have the puke '90s Ford Mustang instead of the NEW / RETRO(ish) Modern Ford Mustang? Got punchy with the keys, accidently hit enter...LOL!

As far as Uniforms, sometimes the Retro Look looks better than the Current look! As a Pens fan, HATED that pos pigen logo (laundry list of reasons), QUIT buying Pens merchandise because of that logo, many older Pens fans like myself felt betrayed by then owner howard ass hat baldwin and yearned for the Skating Penguin to come back

I guess thats the problem I have. I usually like the throwback look better than whatever the team wears currently. But if everyone likes the throwback look so damn much, just make it your uniform or tweak it if you want. My issue is more with muddled identities and not the throwback uniforms themselves.

And plus the overwhelming feeling on this site (which is the most intensely avid group of sports uniform fans in the world) that every teams best look is something that they established for themselves in the 20th century.

Also take the most relevant sports uniform journalist, Paul Lukas, and he too would say that almost any teams best look was sometime in the 1960s.

Then again, maybe Im overthinking it, since pro sports really came into its own in the 20th century, and I suppose its only natural for them to do that while establishing their looks.

15 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

why have only two products to sell when you could have three? And why have three when you could have four?

This is exactly it. Some alternates were great, others were lazy, but they were all money grabs. Its certainly no coincidence that team identities went crazy right when teams started monetizing their jerseys.

It's probably me but I am not a big fan of propanda based images especially if it's based in Canada...

"points to Toronto Raptors"

Especially this We the North Bull :censored:.

They forgot that they are based on DINOSAURS and DINOSAURS are cool.

5 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

I don't get how the robo penguin era gets crapped on so much, especially since they went with one of the ugliest shades of tan/gold right after it for too long.

There is so much more to it than just the actual look of the pos pigeon! Slimy behind closed doors crap that eventually forced the Pens into 2nd Bankruptcy! People say the two aren’t related HOWEVER the 2nd Bankruptcy STARTED with the logo / uniform change!

Think of it as the Minnesota North Stars REBRANDING as just the STARS  (Complete Uniform / Logo Overhaul) foreshadowing the impeding move to Dallas!

Pigeon logo LOOKED CORPORATE (could be used as a Bank Logo or the Logo for the Penguin Exhibt at the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium

Even the guy / Firm hired to create the new pigeon logo thought it was bad juju to mess with the Skating Penguin 

12 hours ago, Ark said:

1000x-1.jpg

Does the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Cartoon Leprechaun LOOK LIKE A REAL LEPRECHAUN? Have you ever seen a REAL Leprechaun to know that it’s Authentic in Looks?  I’ll have to find it, Pittsburgh Press (tells you how many years ago this was) Quote from Mario Lemieux HIMSELF calling it a Hummingbird when referring to the new modern logo

It’s a Sports Logo, Nothing More Nothing Less

22 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

the 2nd Bankruptcy STARTED with the logo / uniform change!

This is just false. The same events would have transpired whether they changed uniforms or not. What you're talking about is a coincidence.

And now your argument is that it's too "corporate", whatever that means. That is probably worse than saying it's a pigeon because it has no meaning. Basically you're implying that any logo that isn't cartoony can be considered "corporate". Well a lot of companies have cartoony mascots. Seems to me that the Skating Penguin would fit right in with Ronald McDonald, Grimace, and the Hamburglar. I guess that means it has to go because it's too corporate!

Archived