Fixing Bird Logos

Most of these are just recolorizations that may be more accurate to reality but have little color contrast and don’t factor in that teams have color palettes for aesthetic reasons. If teams with animal nicknames actually cared about realistic colors, then almost every team nicknamed after a mammal would be brown or gray. No thanks. 

The only gripe of the author’s that I do agree with is how yellow beaks became the norm for a lot of cardinal logos out there, especially for NFL Arizona and MLB St. Louis since yellow isn’t in either teams’ color schemes beyond the beak. It seems that most schools nicknamed Cardinals were inspired by those two pro logos rather than actual photos with red beaks.

FWIW, the St. Louis Cardinals have had red beaked bird logos a few times in their history. The most recent season was 1998. I thought the article might also discuss the size of the birds on the bat, as they have become way too big after their last uniform update in 2013. spacer.png

This reminds me of Neil Degrasse Tyson telling you how that movie you enjoyed was actually terrible because they got the night’s sky from 200 years in the future wrong. 

Its fine if it’s just for a giggle, and I hope that’s all it is. 

Also so as an aside, what is it with people and birds? I understand I’m in absolutely no position to criticize as I’m posting on a forum that’s essentially a support group for people with an unhealthy obsession over sports logos, but hobbyists and laymen who are super into ornithology, I just don’t get why so many have such a fascination over birds specifically. 

3 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

FWIW, the St. Louis Cardinals have had red beaked bird logos a few times in their history. The most recent season was 1998. I thought the article might also discuss the size of the birds on the bat, as they have become way too big after their last uniform update in 2013. spacer.png

Honestly the thing that needed changed from that logo wasn't the beaks it was those eeeeeeeeeeyes. Glad they're different now. Birds with red beaks and Goa'uld symbiotes from Stargate in their heads.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

4 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

And while cardinals' beaks may not be yellow, neither are baseball bats!

CK3ZP8E.jpg

On 6/26/2019 at 9:57 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

A bird expert sets out to update inaccurate bird logos.  His journey is below.  Might be worth a look in you're trying to kill 5-10 min at work.

https://deadspin.com/lets-fix-all-the-bird-logos-in-pro-sports-1835815252

See, the fact that they didn't just switch the AZ Cards to a desert cardinal makes me question if this guy actually knows enough about birds to be doing this in the first place.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2019 at 5:57 PM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

A bird expert sets out to update inaccurate bird logos.  His journey is below.  Might be worth a look in you're trying to kill 5-10 min at work.

https://deadspin.com/lets-fix-all-the-bird-logos-in-pro-sports-1835815252

The Penguins and Blue Jays fixed versions actually look pretty darn good to me.

Why... why did he do the Mighty Ducks one?

It’s not an actual duck. It’s a mask for a duck. I didn’t need to be recolored to be a duck. Are we going to more accurately paint Jason Voorhees’ mask to look more human? You can make the same argument for the Seahawks, in that it’s not an actual seahawk (osprey, whatever) but a local native art representation of a seahawk.

As @Chromatic said, this is some Neil Degrasse Tyson sort-of nonsense.

Sorry that the birds representing sports teams are represented in the sports team’s colors. Should we let him know that Rams aren’t blue? Bears aren’t orange? Bucks/Deer aren’t green? Hurricanes aren’t red?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived