QueenCitySwarm

Charlotte Very Much in Play for 30th MLS Team

17 hours ago, Maroon said:

Although my biased self can’t agree, I’m actually really excited for Sacramento. Definitely deserving of an MLS team and their fan support eclipses St Louis and a number of already existent MLS clubs. I was ecstatic when the MLS announcement avoided the two cities being in direct competition.

Yup. This is exactly where I’m at with it. Sacramento has grown absolutely sick of having to compete with other equally deserving cities for a shot to just field a team. Nashville, Cincinnati, and now it would’ve been St. Louis, too? That’s too much. Now we can ride into this last month without stressing that we’re gonna get the shaft again and worry about if we have to compete for that final spot with Charlotte (who has a TON of money), Phoenix (who is my favorite non Republic USL squad), and Vegas (Kiss my ass, Vegas). People involved with Republic are already starting to lose it from stress, and I honestly don’t think they could handle another year of getting this close and being ultimately told that they have to wait even longer.

Now if the damn MLS All Star Game would just hurry up and get here already so we can get the announcement, I’d really appreciate that! 

10 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Yup. This is exactly where I’m at with it. Sacramento has grown absolutely sick of having to compete with other equally deserving cities for a shot to just field a team. Nashville, Cincinnati, and now it would’ve been St. Louis, too? That’s too much. Now we can ride into this last month without stressing that we’re gonna get the shaft again and worry about if we have to compete for that final spot with Charlotte (who has a TON of money), Phoenix (who is my favorite non Republic USL squad), and Vegas (Kiss my ass, Vegas). People involved with Republic are already starting to lose it from stress, and I honestly don’t think they could handle another year of getting this close and being ultimately told that they have to wait even longer.

Now if the damn MLS All Star Game would just hurry up and get here already so we can get the announcement, I’d really appreciate that! 

The greatest rivalry in sports is the users of this site vs. the existence of the city of Las Vegas.

Vegas is fine for certain things, but absolutely not for summer outdoor sports. Neither Vegas nor Phoenix should be considered for an MLS franchise unless they're planning on building a dome. If Qatar is a disaster for outdoor soccer, so too are our desert cities.

4 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I certainly hope that MLS expands beyond 30, and both Charlotte & San Diego are included.

tumblr_lmm5tdgBHJ1qazkdco1_500.gif?13239

4 hours ago, Wings said:

As @Gothamite has said in the past, MLS will go to 40. 

Oh man, that sounds a bit too much. I'm personally hoping eventually the US Soccer system will go to pro/reg (currently extremely unlikely) so we don't have to worry about things like getting selected for expansion, and your city's representation in the top flight depends on your play. I'd love to see some club like Forward Madison make to MLS, but I personally doubt it's for that exact scenario that MLS wants to keep it franchise-based.

I guess I could eventually see some sort of highly limited pro-rel where it's MLS Gold and MLS Silver, 20 and 20, but no movement beyond that. Less a soccer pyramid and more a soccer danish.

50 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I guess I could eventually see some sort of highly limited pro-rel where it's MLS Gold and MLS Silver, 20 and 20, but no movement beyond that. Less a soccer pyramid and more a soccer danish.

Yeah, reading that MLB pro/rel thread really changed my mind. I guess if the MLS is going to expand to be so large, a limited pro/rel system would work, since the teams would still get big league bucks, but the excitement of pro/rel would still be there. I guess I just really like the idea where if you do poorly enough, you just don't get a shot at the big time, whereas a lower-level team on a run could make it all the way. Something romantic about it, you know?

It would just be marginal markets like Madison, Austin, and Grand Rapids taking turns playing with the top half and the bottom half. 

A 40 team MLS would be a bit of an overreach, especially if they end up having 8 more teams than the Big 4.

9 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

The greatest rivalry in sports is the users of this site vs. the existence of the city of Las Vegas.

I don't understand why people are so against Vegas having pro teams. It's the fastest growing city in America, well over a million people already, that entire Vegas-Phoenix corridor is growing and can soon form a natural rivalry. If they have the population, the money, the space, why can't they have teams?

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I would think 40 teams would be divided into two conferences of 20, likely along geographic lines. And as I've personally suggested before, that allows you to have an, ahem, "proper" 38-game round robin schedule and then you could have the winners of each conference play for the overall league championship. And if you're concerned about not having much interaction between the two conferences (you know, not having LA teams playing NY teams, for instance), that problem can be mildly addressed through how preseason friendlies are scheduled, and more directly addressed by rigging the US Open Cup so that all-MLS games are between inter-conference opponents, at least for however long that might be necessary. 

The biggest problem with my ideal here is that this is North America, so do you really see MLS doing away with a playoff system? The biggest complaint that pops up over in Europe is the lack of drama that rather easily can develop when the league champion has more-or-less run away with the league. As much as I don't like a playoff system in this scenario, it would also be unrealistic to expect MLS to do away with it, I'm afraid.

15 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I don't understand why people are so against Vegas having pro teams.

I'm against Vegas having anything.

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

I'm against Vegas having anything.

Why though?

48 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I don't understand why people are so against Vegas having pro teams. It's the fastest growing city in America, well over a million people already, that entire Vegas-Phoenix corridor is growing and can soon form a natural rivalry. If they have the population, the money, the space, why can't they have teams?

It's too hot in the summer to sit outside and watch soccer in the desert. Full stop.

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

I don't understand why people are so against Vegas having pro teams.

I am against it having an NHL team, mainly because there's no such thing as ice there. Also, for that league to have teams in Las Vegas and Phoenix, as well as in Texas and Florida, instead of in Canadian cities such as Quebec City, Hamilton, and Saskatoon, is insulting.

I wouldn't object if Major League Baseball went there. (I hope they'd play outdoors; baseball in the heat is wonderful.) And I assume that the NFL will do very well there, as the Raiders' L.A. fans will come pouring in to supplement the locals 

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

It's the fastest growing city in America, well over a million people already

Which is a problem in its own right. That is simply the wrong place for a city of such size, as there is barely enough water to sustain Las Vegas as it currently is (even with the herculean efforts the city makes in the area of recycling). If growth continues as projected, then that city is going to hit some hard limits very soon.

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That is simply the wrong place for a city of such size, as there is barely enough water to sustain Las Vegas as it currently is

Same problem with LA. Which is why Owens Lake disappeared by 1924.

21 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

It's too hot in the summer to sit outside and watch soccer in the desert. Full stop.

What if they build a domed stadium?

4 minutes ago, Quillz said:

What if they build a domed stadium?

Will they though?

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

Will they though?

I don't know. But given the location it seems like something that would be considered.