QueenCitySwarm

Charlotte Very Much in Play for 30th MLS Team

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

Will they though?

They're going to use whatever magic cooling technology Qatar pretended to have.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

It's too hot in the summer to sit outside and watch soccer in the desert. Full stop.

I was at an aviators game this year. 96F at 7pm and was actually quite comfortable since the stadium was built to sit in the shade. A well designed stadium can handle it. And just only play night games. 

11 hours ago, Quillz said:

I don't understand why people are so against Vegas having pro teams. It's the fastest growing city in America, well over a million people already, that entire Vegas-Phoenix corridor is growing and can soon form a natural rivalry. If they have the population, the money, the space, why can't they have teams?

Vegas doesn't deserve this many top level sports teams because it's going to have to be funded by tax payers, either directly like the Raiders or indirectly through added "infrastructure" taxes with fancy names, and Nevada is flat broke and has a public school system on par with Mississippi. I grew up in the state and can tell you from firsthand experience that they don't have the capabilities or resources to handle the type of growth they're experiencing. 

Also, they don't have any water. None of this is sustainable. 

12 hours ago, DG_Now said:

It's too hot in the summer to sit outside and watch soccer in the desert. Full stop.

I am not sure about Vegas, but this argument for Arizona doesn’t make much sense to me. They have funding, they have fans, and it really is a great community for the sport. I willingly went to a game two weeks ago that probably topped out at mid 90s, and cooled way down by the end. Very enjoyable. This can be paired with their pitch for a new PRIVATELY FUNDED stadium that has been claimed to be designed to optimized for the 1/4 of the season that might hit that 90-100 range. Do not know the extent of truth behind the claims, but it seems realistic.  Also should be acknowledged that the desert cools dramatically around the time of a prime time game, and if that isn’t good enough they can just front and back load home games so fans, that are very willing to watch games in the summer, are saved from the 3 months that could range anywhere from 80 to 105 on average.

I'm hoping that Tampa Bay might get in on the action, if Stu sells the Rowdies in preparation for his attempts to break the Rays' lease.

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

I guess I could eventually see some sort of highly limited pro-rel where it's MLS Gold and MLS Silver, 20 and 20, but no movement beyond that. Less a soccer pyramid and more a soccer danish.

I doubt any sort of pro/rel system will ever be adopted by MLS, and if it does, it won't come for a least 20 or more years. The league needs to be settled into its maximum number of franchises before it can happen. No way someone's going to pony up nine figures in franchise fees only to get relegated. And possibly, by that time, enough USL mainstays would have upgraded their infrastructure so they'd at least have venues suitable for the top flight. 

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm hoping that Tampa Bay might get in on the action, if Stu sells the Rowdies in preparation for his attempts to break the Rays' lease.

MLS needs a team in Tampa Bay called the Rowdies. Some think pro-rel is the answer, but having a team named the freaking Rowdies is what we need to put this sport over the top once and for all in America. The only way to prove me wrong is by putting the Rowdies in MLS and getting MLS's executives to tell me I'm wrong even after they've been suffocated from all the cash the Rowdies would bring.

21 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Neither Vegas nor Phoenix should be considered for an MLS franchise unless they're planning on building a dome.

The Las Vegas Major League Soccer expansion bid being financed by Boston-based hedge fund manager Seth Klarman calls for a covered soccer stadium. The structure, as envisioned by architectural firm Populous, would feature a translucent fabric roof that would create an outdoor feel to the facility, while giving fans a climate-controlled indoor venue.

13 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I am against it having an NHL team, mainly because there's no such thing as ice there.

I would never have guessed that the Golden Knights played their home games on a synthetic-surfaced rink. Does T-Mobile Arena employ a high-density polyethylene surface, or one comprised of ultra-high molecular-weight polyethylene? 😉

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

The Las Vegas Major League Soccer expansion bid being financed by Boston-based hedge fund manager Seth Klarman calls for a covered soccer stadium. The structure, as envisioned by architectural firm Populous, would feature a translucent fabric roof that would create an outdoor feel to the facility, while giving fans a climate-controlled indoor venue.

For all of that, you can just put a franchise in a city that doesn't require a climate-controlled outdoor venue.

I'm not against Vegas having indoor sports, but the outdoor ones require concessions and technologies we shouldn't be making.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:53 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

While I think that 40-60,000 a game is a little excessive, I wouldn't be surprised if the number is closer to 30-40,000. Playing in downtown BoA Stadium would certainly help, with people showing up to the game, enticing others to do the same. As for the retrofitting plans, it could be like Seattle's, where there's a roof-like structure over the fans, making it louder. Either way, I'm very excited and hoping that this turns out well for Charlotte.

I'm not sure that the attendance projection is what Tepper is going to wow them with. Rather, they'll focus on that they've received 60 deposits for suites at $100K each, meanwhile most SSS in MLS average 30 suites.  He's selling total revenue.  Plus, BoA Stadium is adding "bunker" suites in the west end zone which don't even have a view of the playing field. 

3 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I am not sure about Vegas, but this argument for Arizona doesn’t make much sense to me. They have funding, they have fans, and it really is a great community for the sport. I willingly went to a game two weeks ago that probably topped out at mid 90s, and cooled way down by the end. Very enjoyable. This can be paired with their pitch for a new PRIVATELY FUNDED stadium that has been claimed to be designed to optimized for the 1/4 of the season that might hit that 90-100 range. Do not know the extent of truth behind the claims, but it seems realistic.  Also should be acknowledged that the desert cools dramatically around the time of a prime time game, and if that isn’t good enough they can just front and back load home games so fans, that are very willing to watch games in the summer, are saved from the 3 months that could range anywhere from 80 to 105 on average.

Heh.

No. It doesn't. In most places on earth, this may be true, but the Sonoran Desert is a totally different beast where the temperature at night actually sometimes RISES. I lived in Phoenix right in the dead center of four separate summers (USL/MLS mid season, in other words) and I can tell you firsthand that the heat there is absolutely relentless. The desert floor only cools off in a 24 hour period when there's a monsoon rolling through. The day I moved to Phoenix was towards the end of July. I left Riverside County at 3 PM and it was around 105 degrees. I got to Phoenix about 3 AM (made a few stops along the way) and it was actually hotter. At 3 AM. 

I remember going to ASU football games with an 8 PM or later kickoff where it was still nearly 110 degrees out, and people were absolutely dropping like flies. 

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

For all of that, you can just put a franchise in a city that doesn't require a climate-controlled outdoor venue.

So, why no wailing and gnashing of teeth over the construction of facilities such as AT&T Stadium, BC Place, Chase Field, Ford Field, Lucas Oil Stadium, Marlins Park, Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, Miller Park, Minute Maid Park, NRG Stadium, Rogers Centre, State Farm Stadium, T-Mobile Park, Tropicana Field, or U.S. Bank Stadium? Why not hold Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, and the National Football League to only siting franchises in cities where games can be played in open-air ballparks and stadiums - without the need and/or desire for fixed or retractable roofs to protect athletes and attendees from cold, heat, and/or precipitation - 100% of the time?

Frankly, the argument against constructing climate-controlled stadiums to play host to franchises competing in sports normally contested in open-air stadiums went the way of the dodo when the Colt .45s became the Astros and moved from Colt Stadium to the Astrodome.

Now, if such ballparks and stadiums are going to be built, better that their construction is paid for by deep-pocketed team owners, rather than by government entities. Of course, the owners of the teams should be footing-the-bill regardless of whether we're talking about a climate-controlled or open-air facility.      

50 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Heh.

No. It doesn't. In most places on earth, this may be true, but the Sonoran Desert is a totally different beast where the temperature at night actually sometimes RISES. I lived in Phoenix right in the dead center of four separate summers (USL/MLS mid season, in other words) and I can tell you firsthand that the heat there is absolutely relentless. The desert floor only cools off in a 24 hour period when there's a monsoon rolling through. The day I moved to Phoenix was towards the end of July. I left Riverside County at 3 PM and it was around 105 degrees. I got to Phoenix about 3 AM (made a few stops along the way) and it was actually hotter. At 3 AM. 

I remember going to ASU football games with an 8 PM or later kickoff where it was still nearly 110 degrees out, and people were absolutely dropping like flies. 

I live in Chandler, Arizona? I’m just talking about personal experience when going to Rising and ASU games. I have not experienced that myself, but I can believe it certainly for Sun Devil Stadium. The whole thing is basically a frying pan on the burner. No shade and very little thought given to the fans.

1 minute ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I live in Chandler, Arizona? I’m just talking about personal experience when going to Rising and ASU games. I have not experienced that myself, but I can believe it certainly for Sun Devil Stadium. The whole thing is basically a frying pan on the burner. No shade and very little thought given to the fans.

Well if the fans were literally sun devils then they would enjoy watching a football team playing in a frying pan on a burner.

On 7/15/2019 at 4:38 PM, dfwabel said:

I'm not sure that the attendance projection is what Tepper is going to wow them with. Rather, they'll focus on that they've received 60 deposits for suites at $100K each, meanwhile most SSS in MLS average 30 suites.  He's selling total revenue.  Plus, BoA Stadium is adding "bunker" suites in the west end zone which don't even have a view of the playing field. 

Total revenue is still a very valid reason for MLS to place a team in Charlotte, especially if that revenue will be in the top levels, like Atlanta or Seattle. Clearly Charlotte has both the business and fan interest required, and then some. PSL owners for the Panthers were asked about season tickets for a potential MLS team, and I believe that they sold plenty of them. I honestly fail to see how Charlotte doesn't meet the requirements for an MLS team, with a stadium plan, super rich owner, and both business and fan commitment.

St. Louis, Charlotte (WAT) bids make presentations to MLS in push for expansion slots

This might just be my expansion PTSD, but this feels like Sacramento is about to get jumped once again. 

I'll take this back if all's well that ends well, but I'm :censored:ing DONE with this stupid second rate league if that happens yet again. 

6 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

St. Louis, Charlotte (WAT) bids make presentations to MLS in push for expansion slots

This might just be my expansion PTSD, but this feels like Sacramento is about to get jumped once again. 

I'll take this back if all's well that ends well, but I'm :censored:ing DONE with this stupid second rate league if that happens yet again. 

I think you’re mistaken, Sacramento will still be playing in the second rate league if it happens again! Haha 

Jokes aside, that be a low blow for the Sacramento fan base again. I’m all about new markets with a lot of interest and fans, but there should be a commitment for the clubs who are legitimate and have been working towards the top league for many years now to some extent. I get it is a business, but that leapfrog would be a slap in the face.

2 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I think you’re mistaken, Sacramento will still be playing in the second rate league if it happens again! Haha 

Jokes aside, that be a low blow for the Sacramento fan base again. I’m all about new markets with a lot of interest and fans, but there should be a commitment for the clubs who are legitimate and have been working towards the top league for many years now to some extent. I get it is a business, but that leapfrog would be a slap in the face.

Honestly? The more I've seen of the American soccer structure, the more I like what the USL has to offer. I'm to the point where I don't even know if I actually like MLS, and part of our potential "promotion" somewhat scares me because of that. I, along with the entire city, will be ROYALLY pissed if we get jerked around again, and I would NEVER watch another MLS match again (Not hard, considering I have zero interest in it as it is). But part of me would be somewhat OK with that because I really enjoy the league we're in and it's been fun to see it grow. MLS almost feels too sterile and overly corporate. That would be at least acceptable if the on-field product was really strong, but it isn't. In some cases, it feels like it's just barely a notch above total :censored:. 

I don't think USL will ever have the chops to compete with MLS, and that's not really the overall goal. That being said, what exactly is MLS doing to win over new fans? Shiny, new, expensive buildings can really only take you so far. 

Sigh. I'm just so frustrated with this whole process. I'm already tired of MLS and we haven't even gotten a team yet. We're in, like, year eight of our "five year plan", and it's killing some of the fanfare around here.