QCS

Charlotte Very Much in Play for 30th MLS Team

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

St. Louis, Charlotte (WAT) bids make presentations to MLS in push for expansion slots

 

 

This might just be my expansion PTSD, but this feels like Sacramento is about to get jumped once again. 

 

 

I'll take this back if all's well that ends well, but I'm :censored:ing DONE with this stupid second rate league if that happens yet again. 

I wouldn't say this means that Sacramento's been jumped, since they still have a scheduled meeting in Orlando, right? The article said the meetings were only about "updates" from St. Louis & Charlotte, that doesn't mean either will jump Sacramento.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something to be said for making your pitch (lol) feel inevitable, but there's also something about putting a car before a horse.

 

MLS expansion is fine, but I really wish some markets like Philly, Boston, Denver and even the Red Bulls could have a do-over on their stadiums. Not the stadiums per se, but the locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're going to end up in a weird place where MLS is still a minor-league concern in the top 10 markets in the States (bar Atlanta) but is a smash hit in the Seatles and Charlottes and Cincys of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Digby said:

We're going to end up in a weird place where MLS is still a minor-league concern in the top 10 markets in the States (bar Atlanta) but is a smash hit in the Seatles and Charlottes and Cincys of the world.

 

Right?

 

The Sounders came in a year after the Sonics left, so their timing was actually perfect. And the only summer sport they really compete with is the Mariners, who have been impressively terrible for the entirety of the Sounders' MLS run.

 

That said, a competitive M's team would definitely be a higher draw than the Sounders, which we saw when both teams got off to a hot start this season. However, Sounders still reliably get 30-40k a game.

 

I don't know how you do that with the Revolution in Foxboro; I'd wager that you can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

 

Right?

 

The Sounders came in a year after the Sonics left, so their timing was actually perfect. And the only summer sport they really compete with is the Mariners, who have been impressively terrible for the entirety of the Sounders' MLS run.

 

That said, a competitive M's team would definitely be a higher draw than the Sounders, which we saw when both teams got off to a hot start this season. However, Sounders still reliably get 30-40k a game.

 

I don't know how you do that with the Revolution in Foxboro; I'd wager that you can't.

 

Oh I've long felt that way about the Revs. Besides all the obvious challenges to building an SSS in Boston, how do you make it all pencil out when the team won't ever pass the Big Four teams in its market?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Digby said:

 

Oh I've long felt that way about the Revs. Besides all the obvious challenges to building an SSS in Boston, how do you make it all pencil out when the team won't ever pass the Big Four teams in its market?

 

In fairness to Boston (and I'm generally not fair to Boston!), they've had unprecedented success among their big four franchises over the last decade. The Revs have never really had a chance to fill in any gaps among the Boston spring, summer, fall or winter sports scene; there hasn't been that need since the late 90s!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Waffles said:
No team yet, but they have a kit sponsor...

 

 

And now the kit sponsor has a video:

 

It seems like the Panthers people are really just manufacturing the appearance of momentum (and as @DG_Now points out, inevitability) out of nowhere, and it might be working? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DG_Now said:

MLS expansion is fine, but I really wish some markets like Philly, Boston, Denver and even the Red Bulls could have a do-over on their stadiums. Not the stadiums per se, but the locations.

There has to be at least one alternate universe where Red Bull Arena is located in Brooklyn on the plot of land we know as the Barclays Center.... NYCFC still comes into existence 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 12:40 PM, Digby said:

We're going to end up in a weird place where MLS is still a minor-league concern in the top 10 markets in the States (bar Atlanta) but is a smash hit in the Seatles and Charlottes and Cincys of the world.

I have no problem with this.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:27 PM, Waffles said:

 

And now the kit sponsor has a video:

 

It seems like the Panthers people are really just manufacturing the appearance of momentum (and as @DG_Now points out, inevitability) out of nowhere, and it might be working? 

It does seem like the kit sponsor is putting the cart before the horse here, but there has to be actual momentum, right? Like Tepper has actually met with MLS officials and this isn't all just one big scheme to make it seem like Charlotte is inevitable, right? I may be losing my mind here...

 

In all seriousness, I do think it's pretty much a done deal in regards to expansion, it's just a matter of when the announcement is and play starts. If the MLS wanted, the Carolina team could start in 2020, since we wouldn't have to wait for a stadium at all, it'd just require some major effort by Tepper and Glick to get the team up and running in a few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm presuming they're in no way connected to the Independence...?  Meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mockba said:

I'm presuming they're in no way connected to the Independence...?  Meh.

 

No. Totally different ownership groups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 9:04 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

It does seem like the kit sponsor is putting the cart before the horse here, but there has to be actual momentum, right?

If anything its a major step towards getting an MLS Club. It shows MLS that there are sponsors supporting the club to MLS. Cincinnati partnered with Mercy Health during their expansion bid and I believe Sacramento Republic signed with UC Davis Health back in 2017. Not sure if that deal still stands at this time or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dilbert said:

If anything its a major step towards getting an MLS Club. It shows MLS that there are sponsors supporting the club to MLS. Cincinnati partnered with Mercy Health during their expansion bid and I believe Sacramento Republic signed with UC Davis Health back in 2017. Not sure if that deal still stands at this time or not.

Okay, that's good. I wasn't sure if this was a little premature, but it seems like making kit sponsor agreements before the team starts is somewhat common nowadays. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dilbert said:

If anything its a major step towards getting an MLS Club. It shows MLS that there are sponsors supporting the club to MLS. Cincinnati partnered with Mercy Health during their expansion bid and I believe Sacramento Republic signed with UC Davis Health back in 2017. Not sure if that deal still stands at this time or not.

 

It sure does

 

Quote

Sacramento Republic FC and UC Davis Health have formalized a partnership establishing healthcare provider as the founding jersey or "kit" sponsor for Republic FC’s Major League Soccer club. The agreement is believed to be the first-ever binding jersey sponsorship secured prior to a team earning formal entry to MLS.

 

I know there's at least one other group (Hard Rock) trying to get the kit sponsorship long term, but they may end up getting the naming rights to the stadium instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 8:04 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

It does seem like the kit sponsor is putting the cart before the horse here ....

 

Not at all. MLS is specifically asking expansion candidates to show they have corporate support and can sell jersey/stadium sponsorship deals. This just seems like Charlotte is getting ahead of the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

 

It sure does

 

 

I know there's at least one other group (Hard Rock) trying to get the kit sponsorship long term, but they may end up getting the naming rights to the stadium instead. 

Interesting.  I'd have thought that Sutter Health (based in Sacramento and most recent kit, and other things sponsor of the San Jose Earthquakes) would want to get in the kit sponsorship if Republic get into MLS.  Would make sense for them in a couple of reasons one of which being their "rivalry" with UCD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 10:55 AM, Bucfan56 said:

 

It sure does

 

 

I know there's at least one other group (Hard Rock) trying to get the kit sponsorship long term, but they may end up getting the naming rights to the stadium instead. 

It could also be a kit sponsor. Beginning next season teams can have a sponsor on the shoulders as well as on the front of the kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tp49 said:

Interesting.  I'd have thought that Sutter Health (based in Sacramento and most recent kit, and other things sponsor of the San Jose Earthquakes) would want to get in the kit sponsorship if Republic get into MLS.  Would make sense for them in a couple of reasons one of which being their "rivalry" with UCD.

 

I don't know the full details behind exactly how our sponsorship partners operate, but I believe that UCD actually approached us about a partnership during the first Sacramento Soccer Day in 2013. Part of it was because whoever was in charge at Davis had a pretty vested interest in soccer (The city of Davis has a pretty strong soccer history, and UCD always has a fairly competitive program I think), but I think another part of it was indeed to gain a foothold before other competitors (In this case, Sutter) could. 

 

 

 

 

OH! Another bit of information I've been given, somewhat cryptically.

 

August 18th. 

 

Not sure what exactly that's supposed to mean, but I've been told that August 18th is a day that's probably advisable to keep free if you're a fan of Sacramento based soccer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

 

I don't know the full details behind exactly how our sponsorship partners operate, but I believe that UCD actually approached us about a partnership during the first Sacramento Soccer Day in 2013. Part of it was because whoever was in charge at Davis had a pretty vested interest in soccer (The city of Davis has a pretty strong soccer history, and UCD always has a fairly competitive program I think), but I think another part of it was indeed to gain a foothold before other competitors (In this case, Sutter) could. 

 

 

 

 

OH! Another bit of information I've been given, somewhat cryptically.

 

August 18th. 

 

Not sure what exactly that's supposed to mean, but I've been told that August 18th is a day that's probably advisable to keep free if you're a fan of Sacramento based soccer.  

 

I think we'll know something if there are tweets on August 17th that say "MLS Commissioner Don Garber is in Sacramento for a huge announcement."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.