Uni Watch / SI Design Challenge: Let's Update the Cincinnati Bengals’ Uniform

Maybe I'm biased because my high school uniforms were basically the 80s Bengals with "RIVERSIDE" scrawled across the chest (though our helmets were plain black with an orange Clemson paw), but chalk me up as another who thinks they got it right the first time.

I suppose if they truly couldn't replicate that look on a modern template, then going with tiger-striped collars and cuffs might do the trick. I seem to recall some college team doing that in the late 90s or early 2000s. I wanted to say it was Clemson, but I can't seem to find any photographic evidence to confirm this.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

So Uniwatch is with SI, now?  Who knew? (Probably all of you...)

I don't necessarily agree that it's the most polarizing helmet in the league...well, maybe it is because how many helmets are truly polarizing?  But I actually think it's generally well-liked.  It was definitely polarizing when it first came out, but I'm not sure that it is now.

To me, there is no way any of these designs will top the original 1981(?) design.  That was perfect...the update with the tiger on the sleeves was still a great uniform, but I thought the sleeve logo was overkill and the black stripes on the pants/shoulder became fewer and thicker...I liked it better before.

Paul Lucas is “polarizing” enough that I for one didn’t really care enough to figure out where he went. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

8 hours ago, NicDB said:

Maybe I'm biased because my high school uniforms were basically the 80s Bengals with "RIVERSIDE" scrawled across the chest (though our helmets were plain black with an orange Clemson paw), but chalk me up as another who thinks they got it right the first time.

I suppose if they truly couldn't replicate that look on a modern template, then going with tiger-striped collars and cuffs might do the trick. I seem to recall some college team doing that in the late 90s or early 2000s. I wanted to say it was Clemson, but I can't seem to find any photographic evidence to confirm this.

Yup! When they were with Russell Athletic they did that. 

Image result for clemson tigers football 1998

From 1998 I believe.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Here is a design I uploaded about a year ago.  I replaced the current number font with the one used by UCONN for several years.  I also got rid of the jersey side stripes but kept a bit of the white on the pants stripe.  Not too different from the current, but still an improvement (I believe). 

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Here is a design I uploaded about a year ago.  I replaced the current number font with the one used by UCONN for several years.  I also got rid of the jersey side stripes but kept a bit of the white on the pants stripe.  Not too different from the current, but still an improvement (I believe). 

spacer.png

That white over black look is fantastic. Love just the sleeves in orange rather than the whole top of the jersey like the current white ones. Plus the orange socks balance it out so nicely.

16 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

An improvement for sure.

Love the socks.  And I love that they use a stripe "motif" as opposed to trying to be full full tiger feet. I think white socks (think of the 1980s pants) with these stripes would look great.

No change to the helmet: Pass. (the helmet is only graded on a pass/fail...pass for keeping; fail for messing with) 

Number font is an improvement.  But I find the stripes at the bottom to be gratuitous.  

I am not a fan of the white collars on the orange and black jerseys.  They really stick out; plus, seeing the black stripes move from the orange shoulder to the white collar reminds me of the terrible pants transition they currently have.  What you have on the shoulders would look great on the pants (though with the socks, that might be overkill, so maybe your approach is better). So the pants are fine, though the leaping tiger (facing forward on both sides) would look better than the B.

The thing I am going back-and-forth on is the shoulders.  Given current jersey cuts, this might be the best solution.  The biggest problem they pose is the transition to the collar and, therefore, the color of the collar vs. the jersey.  Maybe they should not blend into the collar?

Is that a "B" on sone sleeve?  Or is the "B" on the left of each sleeve and the swoosh on the right?  Either way, I think that might be overkill with the shoulder stripes right above.

This is pretty solid overall though.

Thanks for the feedback. I have some branding experience but I've never really designed uniforms before. I agree, now that you mention it, that the white collars don't quite work. I just wanted to work some white in there somehow. I originally had the sleeves in white, but that was a bit excessive. AS far as the numbers, it struck me that not many teams in the league do anything special with their numbers, aside from maybe Seattle or Minnesota, so I wanted to work in some unique element. And then I  thought it could be cool to simplify the pants and then repeat the striping on the socks, providing a nice balance with more subtle striping details.

7 minutes ago, AndrewG70 said:

The biggest issue I have with the Bengals’ uniforms is that they resemble those of the Browns too closely. By simply eliminating the orange, to me it makes a huge difference.

spacer.png

As much as I want to say 'but tigers are orange', there's that voice that chimes in and says 'but Lions aren't Honolulu blue'.

It's where I sit.

12 minutes ago, AndrewG70 said:

The biggest issue I have with the Bengals’ uniforms is that they resemble those of the Browns too closely. By simply eliminating the orange, to me it makes a huge difference.

spacer.png

Of course the similarity is deliberate as an irate and disgruntled Paul Brown deliberately tried to create a 2nd Browns franchise in Cincinnati to snub his nose at the Browns for letting him go.  But, that was decades ago.  I could see less orange in the Cincy uniform, but when you are 50+ years into a franchise, it is doubtful they would drop it entirely.  They aren't the Detroit Pistons after all (teal? really?)

14 minutes ago, AndrewG70 said:

spacer.png

They're not the Zebras.

If only we had a forum where people could post their concepts and receive feedback on them.  If only.

I think people are trying too hard to adapt the classic look to modern templates.  The Patriots and Panthers and Texans show us that shoulder inserts can still work, so not much adjusting is needed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

39 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If only we had a forum where people could post their concepts and receive feedback on them.  If only.

I've tried to own that line, but I guess this particular thread is an exception.

You still get the like, of course!

It's where I sit.

As much as I love the Bengals helmet, there was one concept that I remember seeing that was actually really cool. It was the same pattern, but had a white gradient at the bottom. I thought it was one these boards but I can’t find it...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

14 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

That white over black look is fantastic. Love just the sleeves in orange rather than the whole top of the jersey like the current white ones. Plus the orange socks balance it out so nicely.

The biggest thing that bugs me about the current uniform is the reversing of the tiger stripes. It makes no sense for them to be orange on black. You’ve fixed that here. Well done.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

19 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Yup! When they were with Russell Athletic they did that. 

Image result for clemson tigers football 1998

From 1998 I believe.

Thank you!

Seriously, thank you. I thought I had some Mandella Effect going on. 😁

For a complete, fresh, bold, approach for the Bengals, I believe it has to start with a completely new helmet logo.  Drop the tiger stripes....perhaps a logo of the upper torso of a forward facing, thrusting, leaping tiger with front leg extended and sharp claws.  Not the full bodied tiger. (think Jacksonville's prototype logo which was never used).  Also think Nashville Preaditors logo.  Ears of tiger laid back.  Back of logo fades around back of helmet.  Glaring eyes.  Orange and white logo on a black helmet.  Tiger stripes only on logo itself.  Just a few idea thoughts.

2 hours ago, seahawk9 said:

For a complete, fresh, bold, approach for the Bengals, I believe it has to start with a completely new helmet logo.  Drop the tiger stripes....perhaps a logo of the upper torso of a forward facing, thrusting, leaping tiger with front leg extended and sharp claws.  Not the full bodied tiger. (think Jacksonville's prototype logo which was never used).  Also think Nashville Preaditors logo.  Ears of tiger laid back.  Back of logo fades around back of helmet.  Glaring eyes.  Orange and white logo on a black helmet.  Tiger stripes only on logo itself.  Just a few idea thoughts.

Why would you give up your best and most recognizable visual asset? That’s brand suicide.

Two of their division rivals wear black helmets as well, which makes that take even more puzzling.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 6/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, NFLfan10 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I have some branding experience but I've never really designed uniforms before. I agree, now that you mention it, that the white collars don't quite work. I just wanted to work some white in there somehow. I originally had the sleeves in white, but that was a bit excessive. AS far as the numbers, it struck me that not many teams in the league do anything special with their numbers, aside from maybe Seattle or Minnesota, so I wanted to work in some unique element. And then I  thought it could be cool to simplify the pants and then repeat the striping on the socks, providing a nice balance with more subtle striping details.

I'm not a big fan of the stripe-yoke as it stands today. I feel like your concept just shrunk it and it's still there but can't really be seen. I'd move it to the sleeve caps. Pants stripe also doesn't look right to me when it doesn't have the tiger pattern. 

I like the little stripes at the bottom of the numbers though. The team could pull that off if they considerably toned down their current dress-up look, which I I get was what you were trying to do.

On 6/29/2019 at 4:51 AM, NicDB said:

Thank you!

Seriously, thank you. I thought I had some Mandella Effect going on. 😁

No worries, I just remember when they moved over to Nike, that was the first thing to disappear, then the tiger paws were placed on the sleeves because the new cut, "Couldn't support the logo and the numbers". 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived