Teams that pull off generic colors

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

This, generic font, logo, color, uniforms, and mediocre play too. All around generic

It's the Shasta cola of sports teams. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 6/27/2019 at 8:10 PM, Jimmy Lethal said:

Red and blue thematically fit a team named for American independence. Not so much boats and car parts. Honestly, if the Pistons wanted a color scheme that fits the name, they'd go for a really drab, early '00s-esque look. I'm thinking black, navy, and Vegas gold.

Outside of a regrettable 5 years in the late 90s and 2000-2001, and the foray into navy, gray, and black in recent years for dreadful alternates, the Pistons have been a red and blue team for their entire history. Followers/fans of the team are just fine with this scheme; if anything, we want them to bring back the old red alternates.

This question can be interpreted in so many ways that I'm gonna choose my own: what teams pull off elite looks while wearing commonplace color schemes? Here's my take, league by league:

NFL - Bills, Colts, Raiders, Giants, Bears, Packers, Vikings - would also include Steelers except I feel that their multicolored helmet logo plays a huge part in their look. Chiefs' color scheme isn't really that common.

MLB - Yankees, Tigers, Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers, Athletics, White Sox

NBA - 76ers and Celtics both come to mind, but the Association has such a watered-down look nowadays that it's often hard to tell what a team's actual colors are.

NHL - Red Wings, Canadiens, Flyers, Maple Leafs, Penguins, Rangers

The Reds' team color is red. And, in the 1970s, they looked awesome:

5942707242_7abbaf0e02_b.jpg

It's actually kind of incredible they took a simple design like that and morphed it into this garbage:

197486-ken_griffey_jr__picture_1.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 6/28/2019 at 12:04 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

I can’t imagine a team named the Orange not wearing, well, orange. That was a great change.

"Orange" as a color wasn't even given a name until the early modern era. It used to just be referred to as red or saffron. Had some historic club been named Orange in, say, the 1400s, they'd be wearing red uniforms. Then someone saw the fruit and decided it made its own distinct color.

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2019 at 7:18 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Navy Blue and White: NY Yankees, Penn State

Black and White: White Sox

Red and Navy Blue: Red Sox

Red White and Navy Blue: Nationals

Red White and Royal Blue: Bills

Royal Blue and White: Dodgers

Green and White: NY Jets

I think the Colts do Royal Blue and White better than the Dodgers (I'm biased) simply because there is a little bit of red on the Dodger uniform.

spacer.png

On 6/29/2019 at 7:51 PM, DG_Now said:

It's actually kind of incredible they took a simple design like that and morphed it into this garbage:

197486-ken_griffey_jr__picture_1.jpg

This is actually a good look in a vacuum. The problem is the Reds destroyed the integrity of their brand for it.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, Echo said:

Syracuse used to wear pink and pea green.

One of my brothers-in-law is a Syracuse University graduate. He once did a deep dive into the archives at Syracuse in order to find out what the story was regarding SU's use of pink and green as the school's athletic colors. This is what he says he was able to find out.

Apparently, "rose pink and pea green" were adopted as colors to identify the university - as a whole - in 1872. At that time Syracuse University didn't compete in intercollegiate athletics. Rather, association football - soccer - and boating were contested intramurally between classes, while baseball games were played against local amateur and professional teams.  It is doubtful that uniforms of any color were procured by the university for the inter-class soccer and boating competitions. There's an outside chance that pink and green uniforms might have been purchased for the team representing Syracuse in the baseball games.

In any event, by 1873 Syracuse's colors had been changed to "rose tint and azure" and they would remain as such through 1889. It was in the fall of 1873 that Syracuse played its first intercollegiate baseball game, apparently losing to Hamilton College. Over the next 17 years, intercollegiate athletic competitions - particularly, track meets and baseball games - were entered into against opponents that included Cornell, Hamilton, Hobart, Lafayette, Lehigh, Madison (present day Colgate), Penn, Rochester, RPI, and Union. In 1889, Syracuse played its first game of intercollegiate American football against Rochester.

In 1890, Syracuse University adopted orange as the school's official color. Soon thereafter, men's athletic teams became known as the Orange or Orangemen. It was also in 1890 that Syracuse joined the State Intercollegiate Football Association along with Colgate (renamed as such that year), Hamilton, Rochester, and Union.

Archived