Ark

Players on the wrong team, but the right uniform

Recommended Posts

Probably because my age as well but Rangers and Kings look right to me for Gretzky. Blues the outlier, but recognize the Oilers as a big part, but not usually my first thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alonzo Mourning on the New Jersey Nets.

spacer.png

 

It was weird seeing him not in a Heat or Hornets jersey, but the look was just right.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ark said:

 

I think Gretzky looks best with the Rangers

 

wayne-gretzky-york-3113720-o.jpg

 

Since I really came into my hockey fandom during his tenure with the Rangers, I always associate Gretzky with them first. Plus, I used to play this game all the time.
Wayne_Gretzky_s_3D_Hockey_98_USA.PNG?v=1

 

Another hockey one, Peter Forsberg as a Flyer. 
8896dcc3-bccf-4a81-a2ea-0758ef4bf051?fit

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 1:00 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

If the thread is “player on the wrong team but in a better looking uniform”, then I’ll say Bryce Harper with the Phillies:

  

spacer.png

 

 

 

 

Well, with a 13 year contract, it's eventually going to be the right team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

98674c40da116e987aca6b8a825a0ca6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Quillz said:

98674c40da116e987aca6b8a825a0ca6.jpg

Well if we're gonna use scenarios that never existed, then everybody photoshopped to be in any uniform is fair game. Kobe never actually suited up for the Hornets, only drafted and traded to the Lakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, cwilz305 said:

Alonzo Mourning on the New Jersey Nets.

spacer.png

 

It was weird seeing him not in a Heat or Hornets jersey, but the look was just right.

 

 

I feel the same way about Dikembe Mutombo's season in New Jersey.

 

dikembe-mutombo-of-the-new-jersey-nets-s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 12:33 PM, StrongXStyle said:

When Rob Beck, a closer for the Giants in the early 90s, was with the Cubs for a season. It looked like the right uniform for him. But it can also be said for some Giants who sign with the Cubs also like Dusty Baker. 

Image result for rob beck

That’s now his uniform for eternity. 

 

That was the picture they used on the program at Rod Beck's funeral Thursday, the day they buried him in full Cubs uniform.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2007-07-01-0707010090-story,amp.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking a little bit more about this topic, and I think Nolan Ryan with the Rangers is a pretty prime example. He played longer with the Angels and Astros, but his 5,000th strikeout, 300th win, last no hitters, the Robin Ventura fight, and his HOF plaque all make the Rangers a very strong association in my mind, and I’m sure many others. Plus there’s the whole “Texan Legend” thing and from a purely aesthetic standpoint, that Rangers look fit him very well. I mean, the guy looked like a Texas Ranger. As far any possible criteria for the topic, it seems to check off just about all the boxes.

 

spacer.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New+York+Yankees+Photo+Day+t3TH7IwUphll.

 

I'll always think of him as that bearded guy on the Red Sox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Thinking a little bit more about this topic, and I think Nolan Ryan with the Rangers is a pretty prime example. He played longer with the Angels and Astros, but his 5,000th strikeout, 300th win, last no hitters, the Robin Ventura fight, and his HOF plaque all make the Rangers a very strong association in my mind, and I’m sure many others. Plus there’s the whole “Texan Legend” thing and from a purely aesthetic standpoint, that Rangers look fit him very well. I mean, the guy looked like a Texas Ranger. As far any possible criteria for the topic, it seems to check off just about all the boxes.

 

spacer.png

 

 

First player to come to mind with this topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hall of Fame edition, Roy Halladay and Mike Mussina

 

Although IMO these actually are the right teams.

 

2614236_AP_461598551776.jpg?w=1280&r=16:

 

120935377.jpg.0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys are gonna disagree heavily with this one given I seem to be the only person here who likes this uniform but........

 

 

14418760.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 10:13 AM, B-mer said:

Probably because my age as well but Rangers and Kings look right to me for Gretzky. Blues the outlier, but recognize the Oilers as a big part, but not usually my first thought

 

Gretzky's team is obviously the Oilers.  My first year watching hockey on UHF was when his Oilers were beating the Flyers in the SCF in 85 and 87.  That being said, his "right" uniform is the LA Kings.  That was the biggest non-Hershel Walker trade I can remember from that time, and he was on every mag in a LA Kings uniform.  That style of Kings jersey was basically for the Gretzky era - whether they were already planning to change or not - doesn't matter.  I'd wager that in the US, he's way more famous as a King than an Oiler, if for no other reason than most Americans probably couldn't tell you where or what Edmonton is.

 

On 7/8/2019 at 1:29 PM, cwilz305 said:

Alonzo Mourning on the New Jersey Nets.

spacer.png

 

It was weird seeing him not in a Heat or Hornets jersey, but the look was just right.

 

 

This is just silly.

 

On 7/8/2019 at 4:02 PM, TalktoChuck said:

Another hockey one, Peter Forsberg as a Flyer. 
8896dcc3-bccf-4a81-a2ea-0758ef4bf051?fit

 

 

This is a weird one, and probably an unpopular opinion, but I kind of agree.  He's obviously an Avalanche (see why non-plural names blow?) but maybe since he was drafted by the Flyers and talked about so much as the one that got away, it just seemed natural when he finally put on that sweater.  He clearly wasn't the same player that they drafted and traded, as his skills had declined by then, but it felt 'right'.

 

On 7/10/2019 at 10:26 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

Thinking a little bit more about this topic, and I think Nolan Ryan with the Rangers is a pretty prime example. He played longer with the Angels and Astros, but his 5,000th strikeout, 300th win, last no hitters, the Robin Ventura fight, and his HOF plaque all make the Rangers a very strong association in my mind, and I’m sure many others. Plus there’s the whole “Texan Legend” thing and from a purely aesthetic standpoint, that Rangers look fit him very well. I mean, the guy looked like a Texas Ranger. As far any possible criteria for the topic, it seems to check off just about all the boxes.

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

Nolan Ryan is a very strange case.  What is his team?  You could argue for three, maybe four.  I always remember him from the Astros, when he and Mike Scott were the dominating 1-2 in their rotation.  But his most famous photos - even if just due to the era and the nature of media at the time - were in that Rangers uniform.  In any case, regardless of his right team, that's his right uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png

 

This one isn't totally wrong to me, but I know it is for many. Chelios is an interesting case: 7 seasons with Montreal, and 8+ with Chicago (65 games the year he was trades), and 9+ with Detroit (10 regular season games after the trade). Which of the latter two is the "right" one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about Shaq?

 

Titles with the Heat and Lakers. He burst on the scene with the Magic, though. 

 

And arguably some good (and some bad) uniforms with the Cavs, Celtics and Suns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 12:45 PM, GMW79 said:

spacer.png

 

This one isn't totally wrong to me, but I know it is for many. Chelios is an interesting case: 7 seasons with Montreal, and 8+ with Chicago (65 games the year he was trades), and 9+ with Detroit (10 regular season games after the trade). Which of the latter two is the "right" one?

I always thought of Chelios as a Red Wing. I didn't pay any attention to hockey during the earlier years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.