Fantasy Football: Global Relocations (Uniforms added 11/15)

WideRight

Well, the relocations continue to come.  So far we have had Oakland relocate to Berlin, Orlando relocate to Stockholm, Louisville is planning to relocate to Aberdeen in Scotland (I am working on the logo), our Memphis franchise has announced plans to relocate to Zagreb in Croatia (I am working with him to pick a nickname before I do designs) and my very own franchise, in Charlotte, has decided to relocate, but not so far from home.  

Starting with the 2020 season, the newest franchise will head up north and become our league's first Canadian franchise.  Here they are... the Toronto Tundra. 

My apologies to Chris Creamer, and all the Canucks, but I had to go with a cheesy tagline, at least this once.  I promise it will not be an ongoing thing.  

spacer.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost see the Maritimes and Southern Ontario in those front two legs and now am wildly curious if a map of Canada could be turned into something resembling a polar bear. Not sure "Tundra" works for temperate Toronto, though I suppose the Packers give the word "tundra" football-specific associations.

rATMcmK.png

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Love the colors for Toronto.

Do you have an alignment of the current teams?

We are debating between keeping our 3 divisions of 4 teams format or moving to a 2x6 alignment.  I favor the former. 

3 hours ago, Whittier S said:

I almost see the Maritimes and Southern Ontario in those front two legs and now am wildly curious if a map of Canada could be turned into something resembling a polar bear. Not sure "Tundra" works for temperate Toronto, though I suppose the Packers give the word "tundra" football-specific associations.

I know that calling Toronto "Tundra" is not really accurate, but I really wanted to capture the whole "Great White North" theme without moving my team to Yellowknife.  If Green Bay and Buffalo can be Tundra, why not Toronto?

The front paw that's lifted up is pretty bad. I'd match it to the rest of the body with the white and blue shadows. Otherwise the colors are fantastic! 

I'd also ditch the caribou if you're going to go with the polar bear theme. It confuses the identity a little bit. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I see your Charlotte franchise is relocation, and I can't say I like that prospect. Every team has been great so far, awesome work!

Yeah, it's a whole revolution in the league.  Oakland started it last year by moving to Berlin and something just snapped.   So 34 years of history and team identities are going away as most of the longstanding teams in the league are jumping on the bandwagon.  I had been considering leaving Charlotte for a long time (I visited the city and, well, meh) but this triggered me to do it as well and I have had that Tundra identity on the backburner for a while.  So, here is our league right now:

Oakland (33 seasons) --->  Berlin in 2019

Orlando (34 seasons) ---> Stockholm in 2020

Charlotte (33 seasons) ---> Toronto in 2020

Memphis (26 seasons)----> Zagreb in 2020

Hartford (26 seasons) ---> TBD in 2020

Kansas (20 seasons) ---> Amsterdam or Athens in 2020

Louisville (20 seasons) ---> Aberdeen in 2020

Not sure if this will continue.  We only have LA, Albuquerque, Salt Lake, Las Vegas and San Antonio left in the USA. 

And we are seriously considering renaming the league from the CFFL (Continental Fantasy Football League) to a name we used during one ill-fated attempt to play fantasy World League back in the early 90's...

The WAFFLE  (World American Fantasy Football League Experience)

That league did waffle, didn't it?

If Hartford goes to Europe, and the other American teams don't leave the continent, you very conveniently have six teams in North America and six in Europe.

rATMcmK.png

Well, folks, the relocation wave has finished up.  We have 6 European Teams and 6 North American teams in our league now.  So, as a recap, here are the 7 new franchises in our league:

1. 2019: Oakland Terrors become the Berlin Brewers  (They started this whole mess!!!)

spacer.png

2.  2020: The Orlando Panthers become the Stockholm Thunder.  Mjolnir logo with Swedish colors. 

spacer.png

3. 2020: My Charlotte Knights will head north to be the Toronto Tundra.  

spacer.png

4. 2020:  The Louisville Kings will head to Scotland to become the Aberdeen Highlanders.  You will notice aspects of the Toronto Argonauts and of NJIT's Highlander logo in this one, so not purely original, a Frankenstein of ideas. 

spacer.png

5. The Memphis Rebels will head to Croatia to become the Zagreb Dragons.  Several influences here, not the least of which is the flame from the dragon logo from D&D. 

spacer.png

6. 2020:  The Kansas Twisters keep their Aqua-Orange-Navy (Dolphins colors) as the Athens Olympians.

spacer.png

7. And the Hartford Hawks adopt an identity Oakland declined, the WereWolves of London. 

spacer.png

That is a lot of change for 1 year.  Here is what the league will likely look like in 2020:

European Division:  Aberdeen, Athens, Berlin, London, Stockholm, Zagreb

American Division: Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, Toronto

This is all fantastic, and has made me reconsider how we do some things in our 13 year (so not nearly as old) fantasy football league. For one, we just have team names, no "locations," and when this spurred me to ask where people thought of their team being located I got very... joking answers (Springfield from the Simpsons and a local shopping mall were two responses I received).

My only qualm with the final relocation logos, though, is that I adored your Edinburgh tartan shield logo, and it's highly disappointing to me that it's not actually going to be used.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

On 11/12/2019 at 11:41 PM, NiagaraConcepts said:

Aberdeen, Athens and Zagreb are awesome!

Will there be more relocated teams in the future?

Possibly, but considering that we had 7 of 12 franchises move this year, and most of them have been in the same city for at least 20 years, I don't know if the wave will hit any of the remaining teams.  

Got the uniform sheets ready to go.  I will do a couple per day (both new and old teams).  First up, Aberdeen and Athens. 

And just a forewarning, those of you familiar with some of my other sets will see that I am recycling some elements for these teams.  Why waste ideas I like?

Aberdeen-- Tough to decide between Red and Green as the primary, so I use both. 

Athens-- This franchise has played as the Jacksonville Hurricanes, Columbus Pride, Columbus Navigators, Kansas Twisters and now the Athens Olympians, but the one consistent aspect of their identity has been the Dolphins-inspired Aqua, Orange and White design. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Two more of the new European teams, Berlin (our first transfer and the only one currently playing) and London. 

Berlin:  Lot's of German flag reference in the design.  

London:  Minor update to add a bit more of the blue.  Since this is no longer the relocation of the Oakland Terrors (Raiders colors) but now the Hartford Hawks, I don't feel the need to keep to a more black/grey design.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Adding Stockholm and Zagreb to finish out the new European teams. 

Stockholm--- Hard not to look a lot like the Chargers with the lightning/thunder motif.  The secondary logo is not mine.  Got it from Shutterstock, but wanted a goat to symbolize Thor's goats (they pull his cart across the heavens) and this one was too good. 

Zagreb-- It's an intriguing color scheme.  Decided to emphasize the orange over the green.  A lot of features started with my Seattle Dragons XFL Concept.   

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived