Fantasy Football: Global Relocations (Uniforms added 11/15)

WideRight

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The owner has made his decision.  It will be the Berlin Brewers, but with a greater emphasis on Black than on red.   So, here are the new Berlin Brewers, the first non-USA team in the 34 year history of the Continental Fantasy Football League.

spacer.png

I am thinking about doing a fantasy run of a European league.  Not sure all the cities that would be in it, but so far thinking of going with:

London Werewolves

Berlin Barons

Barcelona Angels (Angels is the same in English and Catalan, so a good dual language option)

Stockholm Stags

and then looking at:

Milan

Rome

Paris

Amsterdam

Frankfurt

Munich

Vienna

Dublin

Manchester

Madrid

Not sure if this will come to fruition, but if you have good nickname options, especially ones that have a natural link to the city or which work in both English and the national language, I would love to hear them. 

Name suggestions:

(Can’t think of one for Milan)

Rome Wolves (Reference to the she-wolf from the founding of Rome myth)

Paris Roosters (Reference to the French national animal)

Holland Millers (Reference to Holland’s famous windmills)

Frankfurt Galaxy (Remember the old WFL team?)

Bavarian Checkers (Reference to the iconic Bavarian flag)

Vienna Eagles (Reference to the Austrian national animal)

Dublin Saints (Reference to Saint Patrick)

Manchester Machine (Reference to Manchester’s industrial roots)

Madrid Monarchs (I just thought it was good alliteration)

spacer.png

RxrX5RD.png

Amsterdam Mariners

- Tribute to the WLAF/NFLE Admirals

Frankfurt Sorcerers

- Drawn from the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" poem written by Frankfurt native Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Dublin Druids

- Makes perfect sense in this market.

Manchester Maulers

- Reference to the city's industrial history.

Milan Vipers

- From the novel The Viper of Milan.

Stockholm Aesir

- Drawn from Viking/Norse mythology. The pantheon of gods to which Thor belonged.

Madrid Almogovares

- Warrior class that was prevalent in Spain during the tail end of the Reconquista.

Paris Musketeers

- Might as well.

Scottish Claymores

- Right thing to do!

• 2 months later...

A second team in our 34 year old fantasy football league is relocating to Europe.  One of the founding franchises, and the only one never to relocate or be renamed, has decided that he wants to jump on the bandwagon that the Berlin Brewers began.  

He is relocating to Stockholm and liked the idea of a "Thor-themed" team.  So, the name is not locked in yet, could be Thunder, Thunderbolts, Thunder Gods, or Hammers, but for now that is what I am working with.  Here is my first crack at a Thor-themed logo, using Mjolnir as the focus.  Yes, there is a lot of inspiration from the Berlin Thunder of the NFLE, but I think it has enough distinction in the changes I made (shape of hammer, eliminate curved aspects of the logo, relocation and emphasis on lightning) to stand apart from the NFLE team.  

The main logo uses a shield format, which just feels right for a European team, while the helmet will use only the Mjolnir-lightning image.  The colors are a darker variation on the Swedish flag.  I am still waiting to see what the team owner says, but I thought I would seek feedback from this great board first.   Uniforms to come soon. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

A second team in our 34 year old fantasy football league is relocating to Europe.  One of the founding franchises, and the only one never to relocate or be renamed, has decided that he wants to jump on the bandwagon that the Berlin Brewers began.  

He is relocating to Stockholm and liked the idea of a "Thor-themed" team.  So, the name is not locked in yet, could be Thunder, Thunderbolts, Thunder Gods, or Hammers, but for now that is what I am working with.  Here is my first crack at a Thor-themed logo, using Mjolnir as the focus.  Yes, there is a lot of inspiration from the Berlin Thunder of the NFLE, but I think it has enough distinction in the changes I made (shape of hammer, eliminate curved aspects of the logo, relocation and emphasis on lightning) to stand apart from the NFLE team.  

The main logo uses a shield format, which just feels right for a European team, while the helmet will use only the Mjolnir-lightning image.  The colors are a darker variation on the Swedish flag.  I am still waiting to see what the team owner says, but I thought I would seek feedback from this great board first.   Uniforms to come soon. 

spacer.png

Vote for Thunder Gods as the name. That really rounds out the theme and could give some more options for secondary logos and such.

Next up on the European tour, Edinburgh, Scotland.  Decided to not use Highlanders as the name, since Edinburgh is not really in the Highlands, but went with something truly Scottish, the tartan plaids used to identify all of the clans in Scotland.  Opted for the Black Watch plaid, the first military plaid in use.and the colors (deep navy, royal and kelly green) come from that tartan pattern.  Having trouble deciding if they should go with a more static "shield" based logo or if the team would take inspiration from a certain NFL team.  Which do you think Edinburgh should go with?

1. Tartan Shield with Monograph

2. Tartan Tarin, the angry Scotsman. (All props to both the original NFL logo and the redux made by Chris Basten.  This logo utilizes both as its base.)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived