2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If we still see the same issues in a bigger stadium, it pretty much proves the NFL needed to tell Spanos to fix his issues in San Diego instead of getting the heck out out of Dodge. Instead, they were thinking of 16 weeks of home games in Los Angeles would get them more cash. Shouldn't the Rams and Raiders leaving in 1994 have told them having a team in LA wasn't that important, let alone 2? The Rams are doing well but at least they had a fan base that wasn't already over the age of 70 from the last time when they played there.

Supposedly the Chargers' PSLs at the new stadium are selling like :censored:, so it's going to be even more embarrassing than the soccer stadium.

At this point, the NFL really should make the Spanos family sell the team (like they did with Jerry Richardson) and find a buyer who's willing to bring them back to San Diego. The LA Chargers experiment is a failure and it needs to stop for the sake of the franchise.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I don’t see the NFL forcing the Spanos’ to sell just because he makes stupid business decisions. It would take something like serious sexual assault and racism allegations to force it. I want the spanos’ to sell as much as anyone and have them brought back to their rightful home in SD, but I just don’t see the NFL forcing it.

12 minutes ago, dont care said:

I don’t see the NFL forcing the Spanos’ to sell just because he makes stupid business decisions. It would take something like serious sexual assault and racism allegations to force it. I want the spanos’ to sell as much as anyone and have them brought back to their rightful home in SD, but I just don’t see the NFL forcing it.

It's not just "stupid business decisions." The Spanos family made plenty of those in San Diego and nobody other than Chargers fans cared.

This is a different situation. The LA Chargers experiment is a farce that embarrasses the league every week. The optics of that soccer stadium being filled with the other team's fans for every "home" game are terrible. Just think of how bad it's going to look when they're playing in a half-empty SoFi Stadium in front of the other team's fans. They've even found a way to NOT increase their franchise's value after moving to a larger market.

At this point, it's obvious that the relocation isn't sustainable. The problem is that the Spanos family doesn't want San Diego and vice versa. The league's going to have to do something, whether it's an ownership change or giving an expansion team to San Diego.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

It's not just "stupid business decisions." The Spanos family made plenty of those in San Diego and nobody other than Chargers fans cared.

This is a different situation. The LA Chargers experiment is a farce that embarrasses the league every week. The optics of that soccer stadium being filled with the other team's fans for every "home" game are terrible. Just think of how bad it's going to look when they're playing in a half-empty SoFi Stadium in front of the other team's fans. They've even found a way to NOT increase their franchise's value after moving to a larger market.

At this point, it's obvious that the relocation isn't sustainable. The problem is that the Spanos family doesn't want San Diego and vice versa. The league's going to have to do something, whether it's an ownership change or giving an expansion team to San Diego.

I just don’t see the NFL forcing the spanos to sell without any violation of the leagues bylaws. It would be unprecedented for the league.

14 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Picture of the Chargers' home crowd today...

spacer.png

I think there's no such thing as a true home game these days. Heinz Field had whole lot of Buffalo fans in the seats last night. When the Bills got those two late interceptions, the crowd sounded like the game was being played in Buffalo. Obviously, it's worse at some stadiums than others (See Chargers, LA) but most games seem to have at least a 70-30 mix of home and road fans. I can't remember who they were playing earlier this season, but there was a Cowboys home game in which the vast majority of the crowd were fans of the opposing team. If it's happening in the frontrunner capitols of Dallas and Pittsburgh, it's probably happening everywhere. There's lots of money to be made in selling tickets to out of market fans. (except for hockey in Nashville, apparently) I've heard that a lot of season ticket holders cover the cost of their tickets by selling half their games to opposing fans. It's the world we live in. 

BB52Big.jpg

23 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Only thing that would get the league to force them into selling, is if the franchise started losing (and I mean hemorrhaging) money. 

That would take at least a decade since the league makes serious bank from TV deals. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If we still see the same issues in a bigger stadium

We will

Shouldn't the Rams and Raiders leaving in 1994 have told them having a team in LA wasn't that important, let alone 2?

How so? The league didn't want the Rams to move. It was important enough for them to try to block it, but Frontiere was going to take them to court over it, and they already lost the Raiders case. I think there were still seven or eight owners who voted against it. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

How so? The league didn't want the Rams to move. It was important enough for them to try to block it, but Frontiere was going to take them to court over it, and they already lost the Raiders case. I think there were still seven or eight owners who voted against it. 

I think the biggest issue was that LA had the ability to pretty much pick which games it would see prior to the Rams and Chargers moving back. Now they are subject to restrictions because they have two teams that are in town now. In New York, it was a marriage of convenience between the Jets and Giants when both teams were in the Meadowlands, and now are both at MetLife, but it's not very convenient for the LA teams because the Chargers needed a partner to make things work in LA and when the NFL went with the Rams plan that left them (NFL) to force the two teams into the same stadium because the Chargers had burned the bridges between themselves and San Diego.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Maybe New York shouldn't have football teams, that way the biggest city can get the best games and people who moved to New York from such less important cities as Kansas City, Buffalo, and Chicago can watch their favorite teams, and we all know it's really a baseball town anyway. Maybe Montreal shouldn't have the Canadiens; the most avid hockey fans in North America will watch the NHL whether they have a team or not, which can't be said for Houston.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I think there's no such thing as a true home game these days. Heinz Field had whole lot of Buffalo fans in the seats last night. When the Bills got those two late interceptions, the crowd sounded like the game was being played in Buffalo. Obviously, it's worse at some stadiums than others (See Chargers, LA) but most games seem to have at least a 70-30 mix of home and road fans. I can't remember who they were playing earlier this season, but there was a Cowboys home game in which the vast majority of the crowd were fans of the opposing team. If it's happening in the frontrunner capitols of Dallas and Pittsburgh, it's probably happening everywhere. There's lots of money to be made in selling tickets to out of market fans. (except for hockey in Nashville, apparently) I've heard that a lot of season ticket holders cover the cost of their tickets by selling half their games to opposing fans. It's the world we live in. 

We can add Washington to the list of towns that get run over by opposing fans, as it was all cheers for the Eagles yesterday.

I have a friend who used to have Memphis Grizzlies season tickets and he'd usually make his money back when the Warriors or Lakers came to town.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Maybe New York shouldn't have football teams, that way the biggest city can get the best games and people who moved to New York from such less important cities as Kansas City, Buffalo, and Chicago can watch their favorite teams, and we all know it's really a baseball town anyway. Maybe Montreal shouldn't have the Canadiens; the most avid hockey fans in North America will watch the NHL whether they have a team or not, which can't be said for Houston.

It just appears that Los Angeles residents didn't really show up like the NFL expected them to do , like in other markets that have NFL teams. I think LA looked at who was brought in, and when the Raiders weren't one of them turned their backs and went back to what they were doing before the Rams and Chargers arrived. Granted they'll probably go visit the new stadium and enjoy it better than they did the Coliseum and Stubhub/Dignity Sports Park and we'll see more of a hometown presence. That may even lead to more fans coming on board as a result for both teams. But for the last 3 years the change in scenery hasn't helped the Chargers as much as it was hoped, though I think it helped the Rams reconnect with the fans that were left behind previously. Now to see how they both will be dressed next year. I almost want to see the Chargers try powder blue lids to stand out from everyone else in the league but I have a feeling they'll keep the white helmets.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:
1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Couldn't stay away from the weed, could you?

It's better than opiates.

Having experienced both, I can tell you that opiates are better...wait, you meant better in a health sense and not which one has the better buzz, didn't you?

Yeah, you're right. Et8fsRk.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Archived