2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It just appears that Los Angeles residents didn't really show up like the NFL expected them to do

What did the NFL expect, exactly? The NHL has done more to keep its abandoned markets on the line than the NFL did for Los Angeles. As we discussed after an article in the relocation thread, the league gave the market no Super Bowls, no Pro Bowls, not even preseason games. They spent more time and money chasing down Dusseldorf in the early 2000s than they did for Market #2. With that in mind, I'd say the Rams have done about as well as you would expect them to: they have a decent-sized fanbase, but the damage to the market combined with the sheer size of the L.A. Coliseum means there are lots of road fans. It's the Chargers that have screwed the whole thing up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Having experienced both, I can tell you that opiates are better...wait, you meant better in a health sense and not which one has the better buzz, didn't you?

Yeah, you're right. Et8fsRk.jpg

If I had ongoing pain issues, I'd rather be treated with marijuana or CBD. Opiates can make you feel great, but they're scarily addictive and I get nervous whenever I'm prescribed them. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

57 minutes ago, the admiral said:

What did the NFL expect, exactly? The NHL has done more to keep its abandoned markets on the line than the NFL did for Los Angeles. As we discussed after an article in the relocation thread, the league gave the market no Super Bowls, no Pro Bowls, not even preseason games. They spent more time and money chasing down Dusseldorf in the early 2000s than they did for Market #2. With that in mind, I'd say the Rams have done about as well as you would expect them to: they have a decent-sized fanbase, but the damage to the market combined with the sheer size of the L.A. Coliseum means there are lots of road fans. It's the Chargers that have screwed the whole thing up.

I'd blame the league and the Chargers. I think the Rams would have been better off if they were the only LA team.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

When there was talk of the NFL returning to LA, people said that Angelinos might have some reverence for the Rams but by and large wouldn't be bothered to waste an entire Sunday driving to the Coliseum because there are way better things to do.

Maybe the new stadium solves some of those problems. But, fundamentally, the issue is the market has more entertainment options than any other market in the US, even New York. If you like sports, there are two basketball teams, two baseball teams, two hockey teams, two soccer teams, major college football and basketball, and more that I'm forgetting. Plus the beach. And cocaine. And movies and theater. And Disneyland and Universal.

If you're in a smaller market like Seattle, there's stuff to do on a Sunday, but NFL football is an obvious regional draw not in competition with anything else. In LA, it's a different story. And something talked to death before the Rams and Chargers moved "home."

At the same time, it's cathartic to watch billionaires and millionaires lose their money. So eff 'em.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This seems like as good a time to say something on the matter.

I've been a Chargers fan as long as I remember caring about NFL football. I inherited that fandom from my dad and uncle. Now though? The teams I rooted for at the peak of my fandom are all but gone, and they moved out of a city that had loyally supported them for over 50 years. Philip Rivers is the last remnant of anything I actually have connections to as a fan. Combine that with the indefensible LA move and Dean's overall uselessness? I'm about done.

So yeah. I'll be dropping my Chargers fandom once Rivers moves on. Going to try being a Bucs fan for a bit. They've strangely grown on me in the three years I've been in Tampa.

@Buc, @Bucfan56... I assume there's room on this dilapidated bandwagon 😄

59 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

If I had ongoing pain issues, I'd rather be treated with marijuana or CBD. Opiates can make you feel great, but they're scarily addictive and I get nervous whenever I'm prescribed them. 

Opiates are a real problem here in Ohio. We have 16 year old kids that are hooked on Fentanyl. Fentanyl is a pain drug for terminal cancer patients. I guess it's a patch and people have taken to putting the patch in their mouths and chewing it to get the drugs faster which has led to a lot of overdoses and deaths. Smoke weed, it's harmless and you won't be knocking off gas stations to buy your next bag. 

BB52Big.jpg

Opiods are a problem everywhere. It's like the worst representations of the 80s crack epidemic, but not focused on urban cities but instead on everyone with limited economic opportunity throughout the United States. Or professional athletes restricted from more responsible pain management options.

It's terrifying. It's a pretty straight line from opiod abuse to homelessness and worse.

Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee seem to be the epicenter of the epidemic. Four states make a pretty big epicenter. But it's everywhere to some extent and it all started with legal prescription drugs.

I've resolved not to take anything stronger than ibuprofen. I don't even trust myself to drink, I can't get hooked on pills. Point is, let football players use cannabis, omg who cares.

I swear every time Drew Brees is up to break a record, it’s a prime time game against a defense that’s somehow more desperate to see it happen than the announcing crew. 

Anyhow, congrats to him. Don’t quite understand how the Saints are locked into the 3 seed, but hoping it sorts out. 

PJU85JF.png

21 minutes ago, alxy8s said:

Anyhow, congrats to him. Don’t quite understand how the Saints are locked into the 3 seed, but hoping it sorts out. 

Under the tiebreaker system, New Orleans would be the first team out of the current three way tie because of conference record (They're 8-3 compared to Seattle and Green Bay at 8-2). Then, you go to the two team tiebreaker. Seattle and Green Bay didn't play each other this season, so you go to the next tiebreaker: Common games.

The Seahawks are 4-0 against Carolina, Minnesota, Philadelphia and San Francisco while the Packers are 2-2.

New Orleans isn't locked to the 3 seed, though. They need a Green Bay loss to retake the top seed (Remember, they went up to Seattle and won up there in Week 3)

29 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Point is, let football players use cannabis, omg who cares.

Exactly. I've never understood why the NFL is fine with pumping players full of Vicodin to get them through a game but it has a real problem with a "drug" that is as harmless as weed is. "Your knee hurts? Here, take these painkillers and go get a shot to get it numbed up so you can play today. Wait, you smoked a joint? Sorry, that's a 4 game suspension." F-ing moron of a league. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Exactly. I've never understood why the NFL is fine with pumping players full of Vicodin to get them through a game but it has a real problem with a "drug" that is as harmless as weed is. "Your knee hurts? Here, take these painkillers and go get a shot to get it numbed up so you can play today. Wait, you smoked a joint? Sorry, that's a 4 game suspension." F-ing moron of a league. 

Paternalism. And the worst parts of the war on drugs.

With a marijuana test, can you tell how long it was since it was used?

Meaning, can you tell if a dude is smoking on his day off or at night, and not in the locker room right before a game or during halftime?

I know the chances of that happening are extremely low, but would pose a pretty clear safety risk if happened. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Meaning, can you tell if a dude is smoking on his day off or at night, and not in the locker room right before a game or during halftime?

I know the chances of that happening are extremely low, but would pose a pretty clear safety risk if happened. 

Regardless of whatever ethical concerns are there, let's be honest: Josh Gordon is pretty flipping stupid to not put down the bong during football season. Yes, he's an addict (even though weed is apparently not addictive?) but he actually needs to follow through on getting himself help. Otherwise, I find any sympathy towards him thoroughly wasted.

There are ways to test for it, yes--but its actually one particular substance in general that the tests look for, and it can stay in one's system for up to seven days. (This is kind of a lightning rod issue in the trucking biz these days.)

Now, not that any of this is likely to make a dent, but let me help clear something up about that seven-leafed controversial plant--which may actually help make @infrared41's point above depending on what viewpoint he takes on that.

Naturally-occurring, organically-grown marijuana is perfectly fine. It has trace amounts of THC in it--the main substance they look for--but nowhere near enough to cause an addiction.  Weed on the other hand--or kush, ganja, wood, dank, hydro, Mary Jane, Pittsburgh Courier or whatever else you wanna call it--is the lab- or street-engineered stuff that's laced with THC (along with some other stuff, depending on who's selling it) and so often crossbred with a bunch of other stuff. That's what'll end up getting ya.

Not that I'm a cannabis expert or anything like that, just throwing that out there for what it's worth.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm pretty sure Gordon's admitted to smoking weed and drinking before games.

IUe6Hvh.png

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don’t know what the CBA allows for, but the only way the time frame can be narrowed that specifically would require the player showing up high to/during a game and being subjected to a breath test on the spot. 

I’m assuming that the random tests they do are urinalyses, which wouldn’t be nearly that accurate. 

PJU85JF.png

31 minutes ago, Buc said:

Naturally-occurring, organically-grown marijuana is perfectly fine. It has trace amounts of THC in it--the main substance they look for--but nowhere near enough to cause an addiction.  Weed on the other hand--or kush, ganja, wood, dank, hydro, Mary Jane, Pittsburgh Courier or whatever else you wanna call it--is the lab- or street-engineered stuff that's laced with THC (along with some other stuff, depending on who's selling it) and so often crossbred with a bunch of other stuff. That's what'll end up getting ya.

Yeah, the joke has been that the old hippies were smoking much weaker stuff fifty years ago and would be knocked on their asses by what's around today.

Archived