2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

Being rich and famous should not make you above the law/rules.

When you're famous they let you do it [threaten to hit a front-office guy]

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

This.

He’s a byproduct of how absolutely :censored:ty this league is, not the cause. 

Right. The Pats are a garbage franchise run by garbage people and I don't wish them any success. However, they're the best at exploiting the sport and the Raiders are great at punching themselves in the dick. So here we are.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Football as a sport makes it impossible  to have a guaranteed title but even if it was I still rather watch the NFL then the mess that the NBA has become under Adam Silver and the constant and contradictory modifications to the game with baseball. North American sports as a whole at this point are just in a  :censored:ty state right now. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

People need to realize that pro athletes who get paid millions of dollars in salary/millions more in sponsorship deals aren't on the same level as the rest of us. So please stop with the "I would be written up if I were late to work, why shouldn't AB get fined for skipping practice?" crap.

On the other hand, admiral's right. Going to the Patriots to be a cog in the machine isn't a great victory for player agency.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Get paid and get out of the bloodsport before you lose your mind completely. 

This is what matters most. Oakland took away his guaranteed money and was guaranteed to lose.

Why fault the guy for getting paid and having the best chance to win? It's the best of all possible scenarios.

If you're not winning you better be getting paid. If neither, then you should GTFO. If you made it to the NFL, I bet there's some community relations work you can be doing for you alma mater that pays better than having scrambled eggs for brains.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

20 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

This is what matters most. Oakland took away his guaranteed money and was guaranteed to lose.

Why fault the guy for getting paid and having the best chance to win? It's the best of all possible scenarios.

If you're not winning you better be getting paid. If neither, then you should GTFO. If you made it to the NFL, I bet there's some community relations work you can be doing for you alma mater that pays better than having scrambled eggs for brains.

34 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

People need to realize that pro athletes who get paid millions of dollars in salary/millions more in sponsorship deals aren't on the same level as the rest of us. So please stop with the "I would be written up if I were late to work, why shouldn't AB get fined for skipping practice?" crap.

I fully understand the reasons why things are this way, however it still doesn't make it right. Just because things are a certain way doesn't mean they should be. Are they going to change? most likely not. But I'm not gonna sit here and act like he's owed or somehow earned this.

NSFCvyu.png

6 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

I fully understand the reasons why things are this way, however it still doesn't make it right.

Having millions of dollars in the bank, being a celebrity, and going to work with other celebrities and millionaires where your bosses are billionaires puts you in a different world than most people.

All of this makes me wonder... Why didn't the Steelers just trade him to New England to begin with? Cut out the middle man that is Oakland and have him be a Patriot, because it seems like to me that was his plan all along.

This feels like a mirror image of l'affaire shoved-a-dude from the NBA Finals next door, where a great deal of idiocy could have been avoided at multiple junctures if the parties in the wrong had the sense or pride to de-escalate a conflict.

Of course, when the Warriors investor shoved Lowry, there was a nationwide crapping of the pants that a man would ever dare to lay a hand on another man, especially a white man on a Black Body™, and this was an atrocity that required the shovin' guy to be expelled from the league. I guess at some point Antonio Brown threatened to lay out Mike Mayock, which, even though he didn't, probably should be taken somewhat seriously to the extent that it would not end terribly well for Mike Mayock if Brown had made good on it. I think if you're horrified by one, you have to be horrified by the other.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

All of this makes me wonder... Why didn't the Steelers just trade him to New England to begin with? Cut out the middle man that is Oakland and have him be a Patriot, because it seems like to me that was his plan all along.

Kind of reminds me of what the Giants did  with OBJ. Patriots made an offer for him, Giants chose to extend him instead, then ended up trading him anyway. Making that extension pretty much pointless.  like they did it more as an excuse not  to trade him to NE. 

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Of course, when the Warriors investor shoved Lowry, there was a nationwide crapping of the pants that a man would ever dare to lay a hand on another man, especially a white man on a Black Body™, and this was an atrocity that required the shovin' guy to be expelled from the league. I guess at some point Antonio Brown threatened to lay out Mike Mayock, which, even though he didn't, probably should be taken somewhat seriously to the extent that it would not end terribly well for Mike Mayock if Brown had made good on it. I think if you're horrified by one, you have to be horrified by the other.

You can just @ me.

Good thing Antonio Brown didn't hit Mayock. The difference is Kyle Lowry wasn't unnecessarily needling fancypants in the courtsides for the entirety of the NBA Finals, trying his best to provoke a reaction in a show of unnecessary dominance. As it stands, it looks there's something in the Bay Area water that requires pro sports executives to be overly aggressive douches.

Also, why discount race in these interactions?

6 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Yeah, this is why I don’t :censored: with the NFL anymore. 

Well, the fact that you are commenting here means you do. 

Haven't checked back here in a while, but I wasn’t happy at the idea of AB coming to New England, and then he actually did, and now with the Mcginest Gronk rumors, I’m really pumped. We’ll see what today brings.

1 hour ago, JWhiz96 said:

I fully understand the reasons why things are this way, however it still doesn't make it right. Just because things are a certain way doesn't mean they should be. Are they going to change? most likely not. But I'm not gonna sit here and act like he's owed or somehow earned this.

Not sure you do.  If you're a 9-5 accountant, your employer has the leverage, and can do whatever they want to you.  What are you going to do?  Move to another firm for an insignificant amount of more money and go through the same?  If you own the patent for some sweet accounting program that you invented, and it's making your firm 10s of milions of dollars, and it's your patent that you can take with you elsewhere, wouldn't you demand what you feel you deserve?  Of course you would.  That does make it right.

While I'm 99% for the players in all contract disputes, I disagree with DG's POV on this one about how the Raiders did this to themselves and AB is the victim.  Ezekial Elliot held out for money (with 2 years remaining) and got it without being... well, crazy, and without posting private messages and phone convos.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Having millions of dollars in the bank, being a celebrity, and going to work with other celebrities and millionaires where your bosses are billionaires puts you in a different world than most people.

It totally does, and I laugh out loud whenever someone compares it to their 9-5.  If you're making $15M/year, you can drop your pants and crap on the floor if you want and your supervisor will clean it up.  If you're making $75K in an office, you better not even say the F word if you want to keep that job.  It's about leverage, and when you're one of the top 10 in the whole world at what you do, that gives you a lot more leverage than being one of 30 million accountants out there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Because the fans would have burned the stadium down and executed the Steelers' decision makers for that.  Trading one of your best players to one of your big rivals? C'mon man!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived