2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

33 minutes ago, Buc said:

Firstly and notably, their bye week comes in week 11. (Seriously though, the NFL gets to get a handle on all these weird resolv scattered-all-over-the-place bye weeks.)

This part made me think of the pre-Texans Bye System, which was designed by sadists.

There's no reason to do it the way they do it now, but it's better now than it was then. During the 99, 00, and 01 seasons before the Texans joined the league, but after the Browns returned we had an odd number of teams so someone had to take a bye every week. Most of the time there'd be 3 teams taking the week off together, but in some weeks it'd be just one. That means somebody got a bye Week 1 and someone got a bye Week 17, which meant they had to play football for 16 consecutive weeks. The league could've easily stuck 3 teams with that misfortune on both ends of the schedule, but instead opted to saddle just one hapless sad sack franchise with the honor and in my research it's definitely clear they targeted teams who they didn't think it would make a difference one way or the other.

Check this out

99 Week 1 Bye Chargers, Week 17 Bye Browns 

00 Week 1 Bengals, Week 17 Browns

01 Week 1 Cardinals, Week 17 Chargers

coincidence they chose teams who probably weren't going to be in the mix at the end of the season or they wouldn't lose a key media market by not having them on Week 1? Not a chance. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

This part made me think of the pre-Texans Bye System, which was designed by sadists.

There's no reason to do it the way they do it now, but it's better now than it was then. During the 99, 00, and 01 seasons before the Texans joined the league, but after the Browns returned we had an odd number of teams so someone had to take a bye every week. Most of the time there'd be 3 teams taking the week off together, but in some weeks it'd be just one. That means somebody got a bye Week 1 and someone got a bye Week 17, which meant they had to play football for 16 consecutive weeks. The league could've easily stuck 3 teams with that misfortune on both ends of the schedule, but instead opted to saddle just one hapless sad sack franchise with the honor and in my research it's definitely clear they targeted teams who they didn't think it would make a difference one way or the other.

Check this out

99 Week 1 Bye Chargers, Week 17 Bye Browns 

00 Week 1 Bengals, Week 17 Browns

01 Week 1 Cardinals, Week 17 Chargers

coincidence they chose teams who probably weren't going to be in the mix at the end of the season or they wouldn't lose a key media market by not having them on Week 1? Not a chance. 

I've long thought it'd be worth the NFL exploring having the entire league taking a week off during week 9...all teams on bye at the same time. Yeah they'd have to figure out the logistics of making it work with the Monday and Thursday night games (or they could just 86 the whole Thursday night thing altogether), but if nothing else that'd at least level out the competitive [dis]advantages of having a bye too early or too late. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The system I came up with went thus:

Weeks 7-8: six teams off

Week 9: eight teams off

Weeks 10-11: six teams off

No team would play a Thursday game without a bye week preceding it, and there wouldn't be any Thursday games between the kickoff game and Week 7, nor after Thanksgiving. Some of those games could become Saturday games as soon as possible (the league should consider lobbying for an amendment to the Sports Broadcasting Act that would let them play Saturdays all through December in the name of increased player safety by getting rid of those Thursdays. At that point you're only competing with the refurbishedofficefurniture.com Bowl anyway).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, Buc said:

I've long thought it'd be worth the NFL exploring having the entire league taking a week off during week 9...all teams on bye at the same time. Yeah they'd have to figure out the logistics of making it work with the Monday and Thursday night games (or they could just 86 the whole Thursday night thing altogether), but if nothing else that'd at least level out the competitive [dis]advantages of having a bye too early or too late. 

I'd do this - make the season 16 games over 18 weeks so every team gets two bye weeks. No way they'd shut everyone down for a whole weekend because of TV, but for competitive balance reasons I suggest having the entire AFC sit weeks 6 and 13 and the entire NFC sit weeks 7 and 14. That means that the most consecutive weeks you play a football game in the season is 6. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 minutes ago, Buc said:

That idea makes sense and that's why the NFL will never implement it. That and the networks/advertisers would throw the tantrum to end all tantrums if they even thought anout implementing such a thing.

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Wasn't there a period where they had two bye weeks a season and everyone thought it was terrible for some reason?

According to Wikipedia there was two bye weeks during the 1993 season. I'm too young to remember that or how people felt about it. People probably hated it because it was "sissy" or something. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I normally think the Pats always have an easy street schedule, and in playing the AFC East, they generally do.

However, I just looked up 2019 for them and it's not really that simple. They play both New York teams next, but then:

vs Cleveland

at Baltimore

Bye

at Philly

vs Dallas

at Houston

vs KC

Of those, only Cleveland is trash. A 3-3 split may not be likely, but it is possible, especially since the Pats haven't played a good offense yet.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I normally think the Pats always have an easy street schedule, and in playing the AFC East, they generally do.

However, I just looked up 2019 for them and it's not really that simple. They play both New York teams next, but then:

vs Cleveland

at Baltimore

Bye

at Philly

vs Dallas

at Houston

vs KC

Of those, only Cleveland is trash. A 3-3 split may not be likely, but it is possible, especially since the Pats haven't played a good offense yet.

Baltimore, could be a loss, since Belichick seems to have trouble with mobile QBs. 

Philly, depends on how healthy they are. 

Dallas, will be interesting, could be a rare home upset for NE. But I doubt it. 

Houston, (if they're legit for once LOL), on the road could also be another upset. 

KC, definitely could be a loss. Both their games have been ridiculously close. 

I know it will never happen, but I think New England's main home uniform should be the Color Rush uniform. Or at least the jersey. Looks a lot better to me than their normal set. Maybe because it reminds me of their 90s uniforms? 

2 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Brady really hasn't looked great these past few games (stat-padding TDs aside). Really don't know if it's on him, or that offensive line being........not very good. 

Also, If Gordon is hurt, expect a whole lot of Pats fans screaming to bring AB back (if they aren't already). 

Right now, Brady not playing well doesn't matter.  It's the defense.  It might matter in the playoffs.

Archived