2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

12 minutes ago, Buc said:

That's a pretty in-depth analysis from someone who's professed to quit paying attention to his team! Lol (just playin', man...I know how that goes. And btw, my rant wasn't directed toward the Bengals in particular, but the league as a whole.)

That's interesting that the Bengals tend to favor SEC and tOSU guys...at least on one level it's pretty smart from a marketing standpoint. (Tony Dungy had a penchant for this in Tampa Bay as well; he stayed picking both UF and FSU guys for a lot of his time down there.) Now am I to assume the reason the Bengals don't have a scouting department is because the owner's too frugal to pay for one, or is there something else to that?

Oh I still pay attention to the Bengals, I just don't watch any other NFL games. My NFL season is ending at 4 pm this Sunday. 

They have two full-time scouts, which might as well be zero, and it's all because Mike Brown and Kids cut costs wherever they can. I don't know if it's actually team policy that they prefer SEC and OSU guys, but they sure do end up with a lot of them. The joke with the Bengals in draft circles was they always went chalk and drafted the consensus best player available any time they were on the clock, which is probably why a lot of SEC guys ended up Bengals. This strategy actually worked for a while and built a team that made the playoffs 6 times from 2009-2015. When they started to go off-board with picks like Cedric Ogbuehi, John Ross, and Billy Price is when they started to miss badly and led to their current predicament. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Oh I still pay attention to the Bengals, I just don't watch any other NFL games. My NFL season is ending at 4 pm this Sunday. 

They have two full-time scouts, which might as well be zero, and it's all because Mike Brown and Kids cut costs wherever they can. I don't know if it's actually team policy that they prefer SEC and OSU guys, but they sure do end up with a lot of them. The joke with the Bengals in draft circles was they always went chalk and drafted the consensus best player available any time they were on the clock, which is probably why a lot of SEC guys ended up Bengals. This strategy actually worked for a while and built a team that made the playoffs 6 times from 2009-2015. When they started to go off-board with picks like Cedric Ogbuehi, John Ross, and Billy Price is when they started to miss badly and led to their current predicament. 

This.

In 2011, they had two scouts and two "managers".  In 2012, they has six in the scouting department, last year, there were 10 total. I also believe they don't typically fly to games to scout and stay within a driving distance too. They are also one of the dozen or so teams who also use National Football Scouting service, the folks who run the Combine as a 3rd party service they pay to be a part of.

Pats player admits to concussion flopping. As a tactic, that seems highly problematic. Will the NFL do anything about it? LOL of course not.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bengals/status/1209142117546618881

One of the craziest things I’ve ever seen in sports. Now watch this and imagine me flipping out with each successive step towards losing the number one pick. It felt like watching the 2015 playoff game all over again where the outcome was assured until an absurdly improbable series of events unfolded before my terrified eyes. Thankfully they didn’t fully blow this one. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Wings said:

This Seahawks-49ers game is the MASH Unit bowl on both sides. Who's going to be left standing after this one? I think the Saints win the NFC based on them not having as many injuries as the other two. 

I didn’t realize how bad the Seahawks were until I heard they were signing beast mode back again.

As I understand it, @Dolphins Dynasty, the first tiebreaker in the order of picks in the NFL Draft is strength of schedule.  If two or more teams had the same record in the previous season, then the team whose opponents had the lowest collective winning percentage (i.e. the team with the weakest schedule) picks first among the teams with that particular record.

6 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Is there a reason the Dolphins are currently behind the Giants in the draft order? They beat us... Do they not go by head-to-head? Or is it based on the schedule somehow?

First tiebreaker is Strength of Schedule.  Worse SoS gets the higher selection.

Subsequent tie break order is: Worse division record, Worse conference record, Worse interconference record, coin toss

The Vikings are clearly a one-and-done.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So based on that playoff thingy, if the Eagles beat the Giants, they'll get either the... Seahawks or 49ers?  Godsdammit - I was hoping for the Vikings, because Kurt Cousins is trash when it matters.  Doesn't seem like there's any scenario in which the Vikings get the 5 seed now.

Seattle laid an egg when they played here earlier in the season (yet still won, because the Eagles laid a bigger one) but Russell Wilson can single handedly beat any team.  I haven't seen the 49ers all season, but from what I've read, they'd likely murder the Eagles and have their backups playing by the start of the 4th quarter.

*sigh* screw you, Minnesota.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Big Dick Nick" Foles is a local legend for his teammates revealing that he's packing a legit foot longer, but was this ESPN graphic a slight rib?  Probably just the shading, but it looks like they tried to do some justice to the legend.

Screen_Shot_2019_12_22_at_11.16.18_PM.pn

https://deadspin.com/allegedly-enormous-donged-eagles-qb-leads-team-to-super-1822718664

https://www.phillyvoice.com/how-did-big-dick-nick-foles-get-his-provocative-nickname-origin-connor-barwin-eagles-super-bowl/

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/22/2019 at 7:06 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Well yeah, but I'd still feel some anger. Like, I know a team can get hot at the right time. But, all I want is consistency.

Is that too much to ask?

My retort to Packers fans complaining about "ugly wins" is that no one remembers how ugly they won back in 2010 when they won the Super Bowl.

Not that it didn't feel good to FINALLY vanquish an opponent of some discernable quality last night.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:22 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Playing players who were in street clothes last week?  They've started guys this year that were in street clothes the previous week - not even on a practice squad.  I don't see how they keep this up against Dallas.  They needed to come out exactly like they did, and not make any mistakes.  Unfortunately (for the Eagles), they've made a few, and rather than potentially being up 17-0, only 10-3.  That's a big deal, and will bite them.

... and they just put another starter on IR, and signed a TE who was literally in street clothes (not even practice squad) who will likely see significant playing time in a do-or-die game this Sunday, because Zach Ertz has a broken rib and might try to play, but apparently it's the rib that's the most painful (though I'd think they're all painful.)

They'll get absolutely fustigated in the first round, whether SF or SEA - but it'll still be fun.

Probably just trying to sign him to lock him down for next season. Surely he can be put on the exempt list into next season, and then if he’s still suspended they won’t be paying him money then and come back 4-6 weeks healthier than the rest of the league.

Archived