PittsburghSucks

2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

Yeah, I'm sure not everyone feels that way, it's just an observation. I live on the other side of the country, but I still hear a lot of random people talking about hating the Seahawks.  Hard to call it jealousy. There are other teams with the same level of "pretty good-ness" that don't seem to get the same treatment.

53 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think one theory is that you can't fairly compare teams across divisions because of the division schedule.  For example, team A might finish second in their division with an 15-1 record by going 5-1 against their crappy division (splitting with the champion), while another team could win their division at 13-3, going 3-3 in their divisional games because their division is very strong (assuming each team were to win all their non-divisional games and not play each other).  They're just giving teams the benefit of the doubt and saying "if you win the division, you host any team that doesn't."

Another theory is that week 17 games can be farces, with teams resting players and not trying.  Mathematically there could be a situation where two teams from the same division could have already clinched a playoff spot, but due to records, neither would host a game.  What's the incentive to play hard for the division title?

I tend to agree with the first paragraph.

Yes, we've known all year that the NFC East champ would be inferior to the other division champs and one wild card team (no playoff team is inferior to the freaking Vikings).  And, therefore, that they'd be hosting a better team.  The optics of that kinda stink.  But in football, schedule integrity isn't possible.  You could have that number 4 division winner with one less  win than the #5 after playing the tougher inter-conference division, and a tougher intra-conference schedule.  At that point, who's to say that the wild card team is actually better?  Yes, I think Seattle is better than Philly this year (and most of us do), but I think the rule sets up to favor the other potential scenario...and that's OK.  After all, that wild card team will always have been unable to beat out a team in its own division (albeit, sometimes by tiebreaker).

This year's scenario isn't ideal, but I think it's appropriate.

9 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, I'm sure not everyone feels that way, it's just an observation. I live on the other side of the country, but I still hear a lot of random people talking about hating the Seahawks.  Hard to call it jealousy. There are other teams with the same level of "pretty good-ness" that don't seem to get the same treatment.

I think it goes back to Richard Sherman and the Legion of Boom, which doesn't even exist anymore.  But I think Pete Carroll plays a role as well.

Saints over Chiefs as Drew Brees retires as a 2 time champ. Andy Reid will suffer brain malfunction during the game as usual. 

I think this is the year the Chiefs win it all. The defense is solid, the offense is still powerful and the special teams unit is the best in the NFL. Also, the Chiefs are the only team Lamar Jackson has faced more than once and not beaten. 

spacer.png

Basically this but red. And somehow cramming more people in. 

As for the NFC, I'm going with New Orleans. 

Edited by Red Comet

49ers over the Ravens. I've been waiting for SF to trip all year and they haven't, outside of a bananas finish against Atlanta.

Baltimore has been mostly toying with the rest of the AFC this year. I don't see the Pats winning two on the road in the playoffs; not this year (I am an idiot, I know).

49ers over Ravens would be the most gratifying, Patriots over Seahawks feels most likely, funny that both of these would be recent rematches. Parity league!

I've been short changing the Niners all season, as well (I guess it's a bias that I can't shake), but I think that New Orleans would beat them. My heart really wants to go with Baltimore but my mind cannot ever count out New England. 

The Patriots are still the champs until someone beats them.  For now, I am picking them to go to the Super Bowl for the 4th straight year. 

Sadly, the NFL will be the one league where we won't have a first time champion like we did with the Blues in the NHL, Nats in MLB and Raptors in the NBA.  But 3 for 4 first time champions in a year isn't bad. 

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The Patriots are still the champs until someone beats them.  For now, I am picking them to go to the Super Bowl for the 4th straight year. 

Sadly, the NFL will be the one league where we won't have a first time champion like we did with the Blues in the NHL, Nats in MLB and Raptors in the NBA.  But 3 for 4 first time champions in a year isn't bad. 

That said, the Patriots have never won the Super Bowl in a year where they didn't have the bye.

I'll go detail, because why not

AFC:

Bills over texans

Pats over Titans

Bills over Ravens

Chiefs over Pats

Bills over Chiefs

NFC

Saints over Vikings

Eagles over Seahawks

Eagles over 49ers

Packers over Saints

Packers over Eagles

Super Bowl:

Packers over Bills(and I will be sad over the fact that the bills STILL did not win a super bowl) 

The Patriots will, of course, ruin the Super Bowl again. Brady will barely squeak out a win against the Niners while putting up 2015 Peyton-esque numbers. The media will never stop talking about how he won his seventh ring against his hometown team. The Niners will go right back to mediocrity for the foreseeable future after losing. Patriots fans will spend the offseason whining that nobody believed in their 12-4 team.

I would predict an LA team losing in the championship, like they always do, but Rams & Chargers are DOA this season. 

So I just now saw the schedule and both AFC games are on Saturday and both NFC games are on Sunday. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I miss the old playoff schedule pre-2014 when NBC would get both wild card Saturday games and you could rely on CBS and FOX having the rest of the games after that. I feel like the Patriots should be playing Sunday at 1:00pm and the Saints should be playing Saturday night.

Maybe these Vikings can conjure up the 87 team that upset the Saints & 49ers before losing in the NFC Championship Game. Ok, probably not.

The SBLIICPE lost two more players for the season, including their best remaining lineman and one of their street-clothes receivers, meaning they will have to bring yet another guy in either off the street or practice squad - and that person will play meaningful snaps in a goddam playoff game!  I’d love to see stats, but this might be the most injured team in the history of the league. 

Wentz is the first guy to ever throw for 4K yards without any receiver having even 500 because he’s throwing to guys no better than anyone posting here. 

If they beat the Seahawks without losing Wentz, punch the ticket to the Super Bowl. Maybe god is behind them after all. 

Ron Rivera is the new coach for the Redskins. 

Personally, I thought he'd be a perfect fit for Dallas. But Jerry is a dumbass who would rather satisfy his own ego then do anything to help his team.  

AFC:

Texans over Bills

Pats over Titans

Ravens over Texans

Pats over Chiefs

Ravens over Pats

NFC

Saints over Vikings

Seahawks over Eagles

49ers over Seahawks

Saints over Packers

Saints over 49ers