PittsburghSucks

2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

After the Packers won last night, my first thought was that I could see the Chiefs and Packers getting all the calls next week because a rematch of Super Bowl I would be too perfect in the NFL's 100th season. That said, I do wonder why a league that all but ignores its history prior to January of 1967 would bother with celebrating that ignored history. Anyway, I don't like seeing the Buckeyes or Packers get all the calls, but it's not like I'm looking to give back those calls either. It's not fair, but it is what it is. No point in denying it. 

Exactly.  If you at all have your eyes open, you can't deny that a roughing the passer call on a hit on Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers may not be a roughing the passer call with, say, Jacoby Brissett. (In fact, a ref once straight up told Cam Newton he hadn't earned that call yet.) And if there's equal contact between a star wide receiver and a nobody DB, that call is going to go in the favor of the star WR. It works the same with certain teams.  I'm not saying the refs are told to do this, or even that they're even necessarily consciously aware they're doing it, but blueblood franchises like New England, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay generally come out ahead... especially when it's a borderline "could go either way" type call. And, again, it just isn't me as a crybaby Viking fan saying this... I have one of those teams. If it's a borderline call on a play between Ohio State and Rutgers, my Buckeye is going to get that call, because some part of the ref's brain is thinking "well, of course he caught it... he's the OSU player". That Packers/Lions call earlier this season was egregious, and a total bailout in just the sort of situation that we're discussing here.

Fair? No.  But don't make it worse but claiming you can't see it just because it's one of your teams. Or, even worse, try to claim the refs (or NFL if you're a Patriot fan) is out to get you by cherry picking an occasional call that got screwed up.

I mean, there’s no doubt Star QB’s like Brady, Rothlisberger, & Rodgers get the benefit with the Refs, especially when it comes to roughing calls. 

The NFL would absolutely hate to have one of their golden geese injured. Think of all the revenue they would lose showing a Patriots game without Brady! 

1 hour ago, AustinFomBoston said:

I mean, there’s no doubt Star QB’s like Brady, Rothlisberger, & Rodgers get the benefit with the Refs, especially when it comes to roughing calls. 

The NFL would absolutely hate to have one of their golden geese injured. Think of all the revenue they would lose showing a Patriots game without Brady! 

I'm not sure, but I think all the ad revenue is already in place when the NFL season starts. But lower ratings for a Pats game or five without Brady could have an effect on local TV and Radio ad rates in the following season. Either way, you make a good point.

On a side note. This will give everyone an idea of how big a cash cow the NFL really is. When I was working in TV in Syracuse, we carried SU Football and Basketball. A 30 second local spot for those broadcasts cost around 100 bucks. To get that same 30 seconds on MNF or TNF, an advertiser had to pay 800 to 1000 dollars per spot and there was a minimum buy of 2 or 3 spots. That was in 1994. I can't imagine what those same NFL spots cost today. 

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

blueblood franchises like New England, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay generally come out ahead... especially when it's a borderline "could go either way" type call.

I'd throw Dallas in there too. Except when the Cowboys play the Packers. You know you've got it good when your team is getting calls that screw the Cowboys.

45 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I'd throw Dallas in there too. Except when the Cowboys play the Packers. You know you've got it good when your team is getting calls that screw the Cowboys.

And they seem to.  That's the one game that should be called entirely fairly. But Green Bay almost gets better treatment vs. Dallas than they do vs. lower-profile teams.

I remember when Pittsburgh won those two Super Bowls (Vs. Seattle and Arizona) and seemed to get every close call.  We knew that wouldn't happen vs. Green Bay.  And I think that one was called pretty fairly.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

it just isn't me as a crybaby Viking fan saying this...

I agree.  Putting forth conspiracy theories, the levels of which would make Alex Jones blush, goes far beyond a mere "crybaby Vikings fan." 😎

3 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Green Bay almost gets better treatment vs. Dallas 

And I really don't get it. Like you said, it should a fairly called game, but it rarely is. The Packers have gotten some ridiculous calls against the Cowboys. If anything, I'd expect the Cowboys to get at least some of the calls against the Packers. The Packers are a "national" team, but aren't the Cowboys the national team? 

1 minute ago, NicDB said:
3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

it just isn't me as a crybaby Viking fan saying this...

I agree.  Putting forth conspiracy theories the levels of which would make Alex Jones blush goes far beyond a mere "crybaby Vikings fan."

Alex Jones? That's not fair. oldschool made some good points. I'm willing to admit that the Packers get some calls. oldschool readily admits that our Ohio State Buckeyes get calls. It's not like he's saying every Packers (or Buckeyes) game is rigged or that the officials are in cahoots to make sure the Packers (or Buckeyes) win. I don't think he's gone off the reservation with this. 

4 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I agree.  Putting forth conspiracy theories, the levels of which would make Alex Jones blush, goes far beyond a mere "crybaby Vikings fan." 😎

Yeah, OK, keep your head firmly in the sand if it makes you feel better, despite a couple Packer fans in this very thread agreeing with me.

But if you want to talk about ridiculous conspiracy theories, you're the one who put forth the notion that a few roughing the QB calls against well known headhunter Clay Mathews was somehow proof that the NFL had something against their Cash cow franchise in Green Bay. 🙄

Of course the Packers get calls.  Every close game has its breaks, sometimes the Packers get them.  Other times they don't.  And the sheer amount of times Clay Matthews has been flagged at the worst possible time is more than proof enough of the latter. 

That's not to say I necessarily think the refs were out to get Clay, either.  But anyone who could say with a straight face that Aaron Rodgers gets special treatment, yet conveniently ignores the flip side of that coin has zero credibility with me.

All this conspiracy talk won't matter after that 49ers defense murders Rodgers on Sunday. The Niners are actually healthier now than they were in the regular season drubbing of the Packers. 

I want the Montana Bowl. And I want the Chiefs to avenge all the love, anger and sorrow (and money) that the good people have expended on them for the last :censored:ing half of a century.

Yes, I curse a lot. You would too if you were a Chiefs fan. And not just some bandwagoner when Mahomes looked like the Undefeated of the Midwest last year, I mean, thinking that a team helmed by Damon Huard can totally beat a Colts team that has a crap defense. Bob Stewart? Nah, he won't make a difference at all!

No no no, I was BORN into this fandom! Like, one of my first memories is the mother:censored:ing Lin Elliot game kind of memory.

I mean BORN and RAISED. Not even a KU fan. By God, that would dull the pain. No, I mean, MIZ-ZOU. Pain is sustenance at this point.

Last edit: I'd be lying if I said this wasn't my mood towards Derrick Henry and the Tennessee so-called Titans right now:

Edited by Red Comet
Perhaps more accurate video regarding Patrick Mahomes. I'll stop editing when I feel like it.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:42 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Fill me in because I don't know anything about him other than he coached Penn State for a couple of seasons - why is he a scumbag?  And is he a bigger one than Andy Reid?

He is basically the defacto GM as well as coach and they won't hire one this off-season as he screwed up the hiring process last season. They have just 1 pick in the next 120 picks in the upcoming draft.

anyone but Green Bay.

more specifically, go AFC.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:13 AM, Jimmy Lethal said:

anyone but Green Bay.

more specifically, go AFC.

Anyone but KC.  Andy Reid does not deserve the accolades that come with winning a super bowl.  I originally wanted him to blow it on the big stage, but I'd rather not take the risk of the league favoring the Chiefs in that game, so even though it would rob the Super Bowl of its credibility, I'm the biggest Titans fan in the world right now.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Anyone but KC.  Andy Reid does not deserve the accolades that come with winning a super bowl.  I originally wanted him to blow it on the big stage, but I'd rather not take the risk of the league favoring the Chiefs in that game, so even though it would rob the Super Bowl of its credibility, I'm the biggest Titans fan in the world right now.

Just have Andy Reid do his best Spade Cooley* impression and die of a heart attack afterwards. He doesn't get to enjoy it and the spirits of his sons get to condemn him to Hell where he has to have a demon (in the form of McNabb) puke on him for ages.

*I doubt many people know who this guy was. His story and his crimes are pretty brutal.

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Just have Andy Reid do his best Spade Cooley* impression and die of a heart attack afterwards. He doesn't get to enjoy it and the spirits of his sons get to condemn him to Hell where he has to have a demon (in the form of McNabb) puke on him for ages.

*I doubt many people know who this guy was. His story and his crimes are pretty brutal.

Yeah but if he died, you'd hear nothing for weeks except what a great man he was, how his 'smile lit up a room', how much he cared for others, and all the other cliche lies they say about anyone when they die.  I soooo want them to lose because they are either out of time outs, or take one just so they can get the FG unit on to attempt a winning FG, and then get a delay of game after the timeout.

Alright, I'll be ignorant: What makes Andy Reid a scumbag? I don't follow the Chiefs and I've never cared about the Eagles enough to have knowledge on their past players/coaches. Is this about his deceased son?

30 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Alright, I'll be ignorant: What makes Andy Reid a scumbag? I don't follow the Chiefs and I've never cared about the Eagles enough to have knowledge on their past players/coaches. Is this about his deceased son?

Quite a few articles over the last 13 years.  Two of his kids were jailed while in Philadelphia (2007).  The judge who sentenced them to jail likened the coach's home to "a drug emporium".

2007 LA Times

2007 NY Times

2012 ESPN

Then the KC radio host who questioned Reid's handling of the Tyreek Hill situation last summer.  The host subsequently issued an apology buy was fired

He wasn't wrong with his quotes:

“Discipline is not his thing. It did not work out particularly well in his family life” and “he is not good at fixing people, he is not good at discipline. ”

Edited by dfwabel
Link/Quote added