2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So happy to see Isaac Bruce finally get into the HOF. People forget that he was second all-time in receiving yards when he retired in 2009. Hopefully Torry Holt will be joining him in Canton soon, I think he's the last core member left from the Greatest Show on Turf era who is not in yet.

Overall, I like this 2020 class. Edgerrin James is sort of forgotten as one of the best RBs of his era. Troy Polamalu as a first-ballot HOFer was a no-brainer. Steve Hutchinson was probably the best guard in football for a decade. And Steve Atwater's induction is long overdue, I'm glad to see him finally get in.

44 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Edgerrin James is sort of forgotten

Then he shouldn't be a HOFer.  The NFL HOF is a joke - they should call it the "Hall of Guys With Great Stats That Helped Fantasy Football Owners".  He was never the best player on his own team, was never the best RB in the league (first-team All Pro only once), was never the guy that other teams game planned against, only made 4 Pro Bowls (and everyone makes the Pro Bowl), and as you said, was kind of forgotten.

Really great player, and a HOFer by the super-low standards of the NFL HOF, but (along with many others), shouldn't be in the same HOF as the true all-time greats of the game.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

26 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Then he shouldn't be a HOFer.  The NFL HOF is a joke - they should call it the "Hall of Guys With Great Stats That Helped Fantasy Football Owners".  He was never the best player on his own team, was never the best RB in the league (first-team All Pro only once), was never the guy that other teams game planned against, only made 4 Pro Bowls (and everyone makes the Pro Bowl), and as you said, was kind of forgotten.

Really great player, and a HOFer by the super-low standards of the NFL HOF, but (along with many others), shouldn't be in the same HOF as the true all-time greats of the game.

Well said. I could not agree more.  

BB52Big.jpg

See, I go back and forth on that because yeah, we're up to 4 members of a crew with 1 Super Bowl championship to their name, and seriously pushing for a fifth one, and is that a little much or not?  I figure the "not" argument boils down to how much the GSOT forced the league to change (teams getting faster across the board, greater emphasis on offense over the last two decades), but I don't know, I honestly don't know.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't disagree with this. And you're right about the seemingly lower standards that have been set. Based on stats alone, if Edgerrin James can get in, then apparently so should Shaun Alexander, Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams Steven Jackson, etc.. But on the flip side of that, Eli Manning is probably going into the HOF having been a fairly above average QB throughout most of his career, but he won two Super Bowls so...

It's tough to strike a balance between statistics, how valuable a player was to his team and championships.

21 minutes ago, rams80 said:

See, I go back and forth on that because yeah, we're up to 4 members of a crew with 1 Super Bowl championship to their name, and seriously pushing for a fifth one, and is that a little much or not?  I figure the "not" argument boils down to how much the GSOT forced the league to change (teams getting faster across the board, greater emphasis on offense over the last two decades), but I don't know, I honestly don't know.

I'm probably biased because Holt was one of my favorite players to watch in the 2000s. I don't think he should be excluded off that list of Warner, Faulk, Bruce and Pace. I was shocked when Warner got in because I thought he didn't play long enough. But if he can get in, then so should a guy who was a perennial top 10 WR for almost a decade despite playing on some bad Rams teams during the late 00's.

Am I the only one that Polamalu wasn’t a 1st ballot HOFer. He was great but had far too short of a career and Only really had a couple of good years while the rest he was injured or voted into the pro bowl on just rep. He has less tackles than Devin McCourty while playing 2 more years, only 12 sacks, 32 interceptions, 14 forced fumbles, tj watt has more forced fumbles than him. There is not a single star of his that he is in the top 100 for, most are barely in the top 200. That just isn’t a first ballot HOFer to me.

Number of ballots shouldn't matter.  If it was up to me, you'd get one chance at the HOF, and that's it.  It's that simple - you're a HOFer or you're not.  Don't restrict the number of votes someone can cast - if 25 guys get in that year, then so be it.  The reality is, if we restrict it to one ballot, there will never be more than 3 or maybe 4 potential HOFers ever year.  Some years there will be zero.

Maybe have some kind of oversight committee or some other level that just keeps things on the level, but even that shouldn't be necessary.

IMO, Eli Manning is a no-doubt HOFer, despite being relatively mediocre.  He won two Super Bowl MVPs, meaning he shined on the biggest stage in front of millions.  Everyone knows Eli Manning, either for love or hate.  He's a major part of one of the NFL's cornerstone franchise's history.  He's a perfect example of why a HOF shouldn't just be for the 'best players'.  Eli Manning was never even the best QB in his own division - but IMO he's the only HOFer out of all of them (McNabb, Vick, Romo, etc.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Number of ballots shouldn't matter.  If it was up to me, you'd get one chance at the HOF, and that's it.  It's that simple - you're a HOFer or you're not.  Don't restrict the number of votes someone can cast - if 25 guys get in that year, then so be it.  The reality is, if we restrict it to one ballot, there will never be more than 3 or maybe 4 potential HOFers ever year.  Some years there will be zero.

Maybe have some kind of oversight committee or some other level that just keeps things on the level, but even that shouldn't be necessary.

IMO, Eli Manning is a no-doubt HOFer, despite being relatively mediocre.  He won two Super Bowl MVPs, meaning he shined on the biggest stage in front of millions.  Everyone knows Eli Manning, either for love or hate.  He's a major part of one of the NFL's cornerstone franchise's history.  He's a perfect example of why a HOF shouldn't just be for the 'best players'.  Eli Manning was never even the best QB in his own division - but IMO he's the only HOFer out of all of them (McNabb, Vick, Romo, etc.)

I just don’t think a HOF an can have a .500 record and lead the league in interceptions 3x. He made the playoffs only 6 times, 4 of those in 1 and done’s. He can have his 2 games in the HOF as a display but his career shouldn’t because of 2 bright spots in a sea of mediocrity to just plain bad.

25 minutes ago, dont care said:

I just don’t think a HOF an can have a .500 record and lead the league in interceptions 3x. He made the playoffs only 6 times, 4 of those in 1 and done’s. He can have his 2 games in the HOF as a display but his career shouldn’t because of 2 bright spots in a sea of mediocrity to just plain bad.

That's fair, I just see the purpose of the HOF differently.  That's why there's more than one voter.

What the heck happened with the coin toss?  Looked like the Chiefs almost botched it.

Also - why do they need to have a player call heads or tails?  Why not just have a coin with each team's logo on it, and whenever side lands up is the winner.  It's not like the ref has the skill to rig what side it falls on (though I wouldn't put it past the NFL to figure out a way for that to happen.)

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What the heck happened with the coin toss?  Looked like the Chiefs almost botched it.

Also - why do they need to have a player call heads or tails?  Why not just have a coin with each team's logo on it, and whenever side lands up is the winner.  It's not like the ref has the skill to rig what side it falls on (though I wouldn't put it past the NFL to figure out a way for that to happen.)

Because the “away” team has to call it, and to change rules for one game each year really makes no point. Also then they can’t sell commemorative Super Bowl coins.

1 minute ago, dont care said:

Because the “away” team has to call it, and to change rules for one game each year really makes no point. Also then they can’t sell commemorative Super Bowl coins.

I mean in general, not just for the SB.

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

I mean in general, not just for the SB.

Then they have to make a coin for every game. There just isn’t a point of changing something that has been the same way for 50+ years that has little impact on the game, and only one instance of a player calling both things during the toss.

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Actually you get a slight advantage depending on which side is up when it's flipped. Not much but like 51-49 percent. 

Archived