2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Wings said:

Raiders to suspend Antonio Brown after tiff with GM Mike Mayock on Wednesday.

Putting the GM's ego over the production of talented players is a great way to ensure you'll always lose.

On the other hand, Vegas is going to be printing money for Mark Davis and the NFL, so winning doesn't really matter anyway.

Did anyone watch Hard Knocks? I got through most of two episodes -- what a snooze.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Putting the GM's ego over the production of talented players is a great way to ensure you'll always lose.

On the other hand, Vegas is going to be printing money for Mark Davis and the NFL, so winning doesn't really matter anyway.

Did anyone watch Hard Knocks? I got through most of two episodes -- what a snooze.

The other pressing issue for Mark Davis is that unlike most guys running an NFL team now (and historically), the majority of his wealth is tied up in the Raiders. Thus, in order to finance the move to Vegas/keep the lights on, he has put up the Raiders as almost collateral to Bank of America. The moment there is a recession/NFL teams start falling in value, he's screwed and Bank of America takes over the Raiders. Would be a hell of an ironic turn for a franchise that marketed itself as appealing to the outcasts ends up ran by the biggest bank in the US. 

Deadspin likely has it right: Brown will be a Patriot within a month.

Though Seattle still has a buttload of picks. The Hawks have taken a gamble on players like AB before.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

22 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

The other pressing issue for Mark Davis is that unlike most guys running an NFL team now (and historically), the majority of his wealth is tied up in the Raiders. Thus, in order to finance the move to Vegas/keep the lights on, he has put up the Raiders as almost collateral to Bank of America. The moment there is a recession/NFL teams start falling in value, he's screwed and Bank of America takes over the Raiders. Would be a hell of an ironic turn for a franchise that marketed itself as appealing to the outcasts ends up ran by the biggest bank in the US. 

Plus, Mark Davis has no heir apparent.  Out of all of the ownerships that have been passed down, Davis is the only one with no children.  Amy Adams Strunk has 3 children as does Clark Hunt.  Even Dean Spanos has children.  Gayle Benson has one child that is still alive, but that's going to be interesting to see what happens if she has to sell the Saints and/or Pelicans.  So I wonder what the ownership plans are if something were to happen to Mark Davis?

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I think Maylock is right in this situation. AB threatened to punch Maylock in the face.

I don’t know what the right solution is here, but the Raiders need to do something with AB in regards to what he said. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

10 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I think Maylock is right in this situation. AB threatened to punch Maylock in the face.

I don’t know what the right solution is here, but the Raiders need to do something with AB in regards to what he said. 

Maybe its CTE, maybe its latent insanity in his family history that's emerging now. Maybe its the former causing/exacerbating the latter. Only thing I do know is that AB's saga isn't going to have a happy ending.

17 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

No one should threaten anything else with violence. On the other hand, Mayock provoked his star receiver over stupid :censored:. Mayock decided to create this situation; I have no sympathy for him.

49 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Deadspin likely has it right: Brown will be a Patriot within a month.

Though Seattle still has a buttload of picks. The Hawks have taken a gamble on players like AB before.

AB on the Patriots would either be spectacular on par with the Moss trade, or the biggest disaster in the NFL since...........IDK. 

Most likely the latter. 

10 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

No one should threaten anything else with violence. On the other hand, Mayock provoked his star receiver over stupid :censored:. Mayock decided to create this situation; I have no sympathy for him.

You still don't take a swing at a guy unless he's taking a swing at you. Especially the guy who got you on the roster in the first place. Raiders going to Raider though and that'll be fine by me. At least my team's players only act like :censored:heads off the field. And no, I'm not going to virtue-signal about how we should just cut talented players so the Patriots and other big-market teams can snatch them up on the cheap. 

59 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Maybe its CTE, maybe its latent insanity in his family history that's emerging now. Maybe its the former causing/exacerbating the latter. Only thing I do know is that AB's saga isn't going to have a happy ending.

I’m just seeing an Ike Ibeabuchi or Alonzo Spellman-esque maniac episode in his future. Hopefully it doesn’t happen on a plane or involve children.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27543780/sources-raiders-suspend-ab-tiff-gm

The letter from Mayock, which many saw as more of a warning against future behavior than an actual attempt to recoup money, seemed to set Brown off, and the team has to wonder whether Brown will ever play for the Raiders.

That's what Mayock is telling people? What a joke. The Raiders traded two picks for a talented but temperamental receiver and are shocked he's temperamental? Dumbass.

I hope the Raiders go 0-16.

EDIT: Noted NFL tailgate staple musician Meghan Trainor is on my TV lip synching to a song I've never heard before and won't hear again. Either do the big ass song or GTFO. I bet you they could have gotten Bachman Turner Overdrive no problem.

I'm glad that football coaches are looking younger and fitter and are taking better care of themselves. However, I think big fat guys like, say, Mike Holmgren or Andy Reid (but not Mark Mangino) are more FOOTBALL than Matt LaFleur, who looks like he's more likely to sell you a gym membership than coach an NFL franchise.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27543780/sources-raiders-suspend-ab-tiff-gm

That's what Mayock is telling people? What a joke. The Raiders traded two picks for a talented but temperamental receiver and are shocked he's temperamental? Dumbass.

I don't recall AB having a history of taking a swing at people. Temperamental is one thing, but attempted violence is another. Plus, there was the whole narrative that it was actually Roethlisberger's fault that things went sideways in Pittsburgh (the Bell drama happening in the same season), so it's not like there was a definitive bad guy at the time.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I hope the Raiders go 0-16.

Same.

19 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Gayle Benson has one child that is still alive, but that's going to be interesting to see what happens if she has to sell the Saints and/or Pelicans. 

Gayle Benson has never had any children. 

I am assuming you got that piece of misinformation from Wikipedia, which states "children  3 (2 deceased)" but that is incorrectly referring to TOM Benson's children, not Gayle's. Tom's surviving child is Renee Benson LeBlanc, mother of previous heir apparent Rita Benson LeBlanc (Tom's granddaughter).

Before he died, Tom kicked all of his ungrateful family heirs out of the picture in regards to the sports teams. They DID get other assets, though, mainly because much of his willed wealth had already been set up in irrevocable trusts.

Gayle is now the sole owner of both teams and has no heirs.  Regarding succession, earlier this year she released a statement in which she said she is in the process of completing a succession plan for both teams, which will eventually need to be approved by membership in both leagues. She wouldn’t reveal details of the plan but said league officials have already informally approved its structure.

Oh, and she is EXTREMELY wealthy and will not "have to sell" either the Saints or the Pelicans before her death. She has also publicly stated that she will not do so, stating, "I don’t look at myself as an owner of the teams, I feel like it is an asset that I am protecting for the city.”

It is what it is.

Archived