2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

11 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I wonder what the percentage of exciting NFL plays are immediately negated by flags.

feels like 50/50. The Bengals had a kickoff return touchdown wiped out on Sunday because of a hold that in watching the replay dozens of times I'm still not sure what the official saw. It was for this reason that as our guy was running the ball the last 30 or 40 yards I didn't let myself get excited because I knew there'd probably be something. You end up celebrating whether or not a yellow flag was thrown and not the actual play. It sucks. 

That no play can be trusted to count is one of football's most inherent flaws.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

feels like 50/50. The Bengals had a kickoff return touchdown wiped out on Sunday because of a hold that in watching the replay dozens of times I'm still not sure what the official saw. It was for this reason that as our guy was running the ball the last 30 or 40 yards I didn't let myself get excited because I knew there'd probably be something. You end up celebrating whether or not a yellow flag was thrown and not the actual play. It sucks. 

The play by play announcers even mention "no flags on the play" right away on an exciting play that gains a lot of yards. The fact that it has to be mentioned immediately each time on a play that results in a TD or a decent chunk of yardage is a problem.

3 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

The play by play announcers even mention "no flags on the play" right away on an exciting play that gains a lot of yards. The fact that it has to be mentioned immediately each time on a play that results in a TD or a decent chunk of yardage is a problem.

Just rewatch the music city miracle with the Titans broadcast. It’s pretty much the first thing he says after the touchdown. Kinda ruined the call imo. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

We have this conversation at the beginning of every NFL season. There are three components to NFL play: offense, defense and officiating. Each is as important as the other.

I'm not sure when flag-watching became an integral part of the NFL game day experience, but I don't remember penalties being nearly as big a deal when I was a kid. Perhaps because instant replay wasn't a thing.

In any event, I'm guessing the NFL likes it this way. It probably helps with viewer engagement, knowing that people will watch the plays and what happens after the plays, never knowing if anything is going to stand up. I know that I don't believe anything in the NFL actually happens until the refs do or don't say something.

Kind of a garbage way to watch a game, really. Especially compared to the free-flow nature of soccer and basketball.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

NFL officiating is probably the worst of all the major sports.  Nowadays I feel like I see more of the officials on tv than I do the players and the constant flags drag games out longer then they need to be and take a lot of the enjoyment out of watching them.

How many ad campaigns have been based around the wacky drawn-out explanations of football referees? Compare with the relative lack of referee-oriented advertising from other sports.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

NFL officiating will always be a love/hate thing. 

If they were perfect and made every single call the game would be really slow & boring (not to mention how many awesome plays are negated by penalties) 

But of course it's frustrating when they miss stupid obvious one like in the NFCCG last year, or even "roughing the passer" or some other ticky tacky call.  

Probably just me, but I kind of find it a bit exciting watching never knowing when a flag will be thrown. 

58 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

NFL officiating will always be a love/hate thing. 

If they were perfect and made every single call the game would be really slow & boring (not to mention how many awesome plays are negated by penalties) 

But of course it's frustrating when they miss stupid obvious one like in the NFCCG last year, or even "roughing the passer" or some other ticky tacky call.  

Probably just me, but I kind of find it a bit exciting watching never knowing when a flag will be thrown. 

I've never heard the love part.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, DG_Now said:

We have this conversation at the beginning of every NFL season. There are three components to NFL play: offense, defense and officiating. Each is as important as the other.

I'm not sure when flag-watching became an integral part of the NFL game day experience, but I don't remember penalties being nearly as big a deal when I was a kid. Perhaps because instant replay wasn't a thing.

In any event, I'm guessing the NFL likes it this way. It probably helps with viewer engagement, knowing that people will watch the plays and what happens after the plays, never knowing if anything is going to stand up. I know that I don't believe anything in the NFL actually happens until the refs do or don't say something.

Kind of a garbage way to watch a game, really. Especially compared to the free-flow nature of soccer and basketball.

Well, I'll say the same thing I said previously, and I quoted you that time as well because, I dunno, I guess I just like picking on you by pointing this out, but the ABC call from the Music City Miracle was punctuated with Mike Patrick saying "and there are no flags", and this was back in January 2000. So I have no clue when you were a kid, but it might be fair to suggest that, if announcers were having the presence of mind to look out for flags on kickoff returns almost 20 years ago*, then it's probably been something for a long time now.

*It would be fair to point out that the Music City Miracle did have the unusual added aspect of whether there was an illegal lateral involved in addition to the usual possibilities for penalties on kickoff returns.

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

*It would be fair to point out that the Music City Miracle did have the unusual added aspect of whether there was an illegal lateral involved in addition to the usual possibilities for penalties on kickoff returns.

It would be fair to say that.

Also, as a Bills fan, I've seen the Music City Miracle exactly one time and that was enough for me.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

you've never had a moment where your team had a big play & the refs missed a penalty that would have negated it, or a call that ended p saving your team from losing?

Cant recall, but I’d rather the players decide the games. Teams spend billions to build good teams. Doesn’t make sense for refs to end a team’s season and cost them millions just because they’re either incompetent or told to weight the game. 

I don't see the resemblance.

Now if we talkin' QB lookalikes:

prince-harry-carson-wentz-eagles.jpg

Archived