Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Buc said:

Firstly and notably, their bye week comes in week 11. (Seriously though, the NFL gets to get a handle on all these weird resolv scattered-all-over-the-place bye weeks.)

 

This part made me think of the pre-Texans Bye System, which was designed by sadists.

 

There's no reason to do it the way they do it now, but it's better now than it was then. During the 99, 00, and 01 seasons before the Texans joined the league, but after the Browns returned we had an odd number of teams so someone had to take a bye every week. Most of the time there'd be 3 teams taking the week off together, but in some weeks it'd be just one. That means somebody got a bye Week 1 and someone got a bye Week 17, which meant they had to play football for 16 consecutive weeks. The league could've easily stuck 3 teams with that misfortune on both ends of the schedule, but instead opted to saddle just one hapless sad sack franchise with the honor and in my research it's definitely clear they targeted teams who they didn't think it would make a difference one way or the other.

 

Check this out

99 Week 1 Bye Chargers, Week 17 Bye Browns 

00 Week 1 Bengals, Week 17 Browns

01 Week 1 Cardinals, Week 17 Chargers

 

coincidence they chose teams who probably weren't going to be in the mix at the end of the season or they wouldn't lose a key media market by not having them on Week 1? Not a chance. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giants are big underdogs against an undefeated Patriots team that is steamrolling everybody. Where have we heard that before?

 

This time though I really do not see them beating NE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

 

This part made me think of the pre-Texans Bye System, which was designed by sadists.

 

There's no reason to do it the way they do it now, but it's better now than it was then. During the 99, 00, and 01 seasons before the Texans joined the league, but after the Browns returned we had an odd number of teams so someone had to take a bye every week. Most of the time there'd be 3 teams taking the week off together, but in some weeks it'd be just one. That means somebody got a bye Week 1 and someone got a bye Week 17, which meant they had to play football for 16 consecutive weeks. The league could've easily stuck 3 teams with that misfortune on both ends of the schedule, but instead opted to saddle just one hapless sad sack franchise with the honor and in my research it's definitely clear they targeted teams who they didn't think it would make a difference one way or the other.

 

Check this out

99 Week 1 Bye Chargers, Week 17 Bye Browns 

00 Week 1 Bengals, Week 17 Browns

01 Week 1 Cardinals, Week 17 Chargers

 

coincidence they chose teams who probably weren't going to be in the mix at the end of the season or they wouldn't lose a key media market by not having them on Week 1? Not a chance. 

 

 

I've long thought it'd be worth the NFL exploring having the entire league taking a week off during week 9...all teams on bye at the same time. Yeah they'd have to figure out the logistics of making it work with the Monday and Thursday night games (or they could just 86 the whole Thursday night thing altogether), but if nothing else that'd at least level out the competitive [dis]advantages of having a bye too early or too late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The system I came up with went thus:

 

Weeks 7-8: six teams off

Week 9: eight teams off

Weeks 10-11: six teams off

 

No team would play a Thursday game without a bye week preceding it, and there wouldn't be any Thursday games between the kickoff game and Week 7, nor after Thanksgiving. Some of those games could become Saturday games as soon as possible (the league should consider lobbying for an amendment to the Sports Broadcasting Act that would let them play Saturdays all through December in the name of increased player safety by getting rid of those Thursdays. At that point you're only competing with the refurbishedofficefurniture.com Bowl anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buc said:

 

I've long thought it'd be worth the NFL exploring having the entire league taking a week off during week 9...all teams on bye at the same time. Yeah they'd have to figure out the logistics of making it work with the Monday and Thursday night games (or they could just 86 the whole Thursday night thing altogether), but if nothing else that'd at least level out the competitive [dis]advantages of having a bye too early or too late. 

 

I'd do this - make the season 16 games over 18 weeks so every team gets two bye weeks. No way they'd shut everyone down for a whole weekend because of TV, but for competitive balance reasons I suggest having the entire AFC sit weeks 6 and 13 and the entire NFC sit weeks 7 and 14. That means that the most consecutive weeks you play a football game in the season is 6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't there a period where they had two bye weeks a season and everyone thought it was terrible for some reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Buc said:

 

I've long thought it'd be worth the NFL exploring having the entire league taking a week off during week 9...all teams on bye at the same time. Yeah they'd have to figure out the logistics of making it work with the Monday and Thursday night games (or they could just 86 the whole Thursday night thing altogether), but if nothing else that'd at least level out the competitive [dis]advantages of having a bye too early or too late. 

 

That idea makes sense and that's why the NFL will never implement it. That and the networks/advertisers would throw the tantrum to end all tantrums if they even thought anout implementing such a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Wasn't there a period where they had two bye weeks a season and everyone thought it was terrible for some reason?


According to Wikipedia there was two bye weeks during the 1993 season. I'm too young to remember that or how people felt about it. People probably hated it because it was "sissy" or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally think the Pats always have an easy street schedule, and in playing the AFC East, they generally do.

 

However, I just looked up 2019 for them and it's not really that simple. They play both New York teams next, but then:

 

vs Cleveland

at Baltimore

Bye

at Philly

vs Dallas

at Houston

vs KC

 

Of those, only Cleveland is trash. A 3-3 split may not be likely, but it is possible, especially since the Pats haven't played a good offense yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should go, on a rotating schedule. 

 

North, East, south, west for bye weeks. Both AFC and NFC divisions have byes same week. Make it weeks 8-11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nfl would never do anything that would reduce Thursday night football. It’s one of their biggest money making games outside of Maybe MNF And/or SNF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I normally think the Pats always have an easy street schedule, and in playing the AFC East, they generally do.

 

However, I just looked up 2019 for them and it's not really that simple. They play both New York teams next, but then:

 

vs Cleveland

at Baltimore

Bye

at Philly

vs Dallas

at Houston

vs KC

 

Of those, only Cleveland is trash. A 3-3 split may not be likely, but it is possible, especially since the Pats haven't played a good offense yet.

 

Baltimore, could be a loss, since Belichick seems to have trouble with mobile QBs. 

Philly, depends on how healthy they are. 

Dallas, will be interesting, could be a rare home upset for NE. But I doubt it. 

Houston, (if they're legit for once LOL), on the road could also be another upset. 

KC, definitely could be a loss. Both their games have been ridiculously close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So out with Antonio Clown's 3 Ring Circus and in with the Incredible Gronk. Hope he's recovered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Eli is still wearing the captains “C”. Are the giants really that sentimental that they can’t strip the Captain off of him while he’s on the bench. Or is Eli that egotistical that he needs to keep the captain “C” to stroke his ego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scorebug for tonight’s game is going to drive me nuts.

 

Pats in colorrush Blue

Giants in away whites with a lot of red

On the scorebug, Giants have blue background; Patriots have red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it will never happen, but I think New England's main home uniform should be the Color Rush uniform. Or at least the jersey. Looks a lot better to me than their normal set. Maybe because it reminds me of their 90s uniforms? 

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady really hasn't looked great these past few games (stat-padding TDs aside). Really don't know if it's on him, or that offensive line being........not very good. 

 

Also, If Gordon is hurt, expect a whole lot of Pats fans screaming to bring AB back (if they aren't already). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Brady really hasn't looked great these past few games (stat-padding TDs aside). Really don't know if it's on him, or that offensive line being........not very good. 

 

Also, If Gordon is hurt, expect a whole lot of Pats fans screaming to bring AB back (if they aren't already). 

 

Right now, Brady not playing well doesn't matter.  It's the defense.  It might matter in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.