2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

13 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Once again you are only concerned with the result.

It's about the facts. I'm talking about facts while you want to speculate. Since that's the case, let's speculate. I'm speculating it's entirely possible that, after typing your post, you went outside, bought a goat, took the goat downtown, and had sex with that goat in the middle of main street. I'll leave it to you to prove that didn't happen. I'm betting it didn't, but how can I be sure? 😉

Maybe now you get why I keep saying we can't deal in what ifs. Kermit Washington could have missed, but he didn't and that's what we're left with. Myles Garrett could have badly injured Mason Rudolph, but he didn't. Those are facts. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

One more thing. It's not about the "result." It's about the facts. I'm talking about facts while you want to speculate. Since that's the case, let's speculate. I'm speculating it's entirely possible that, after typing your post, you went outside, bought a goat, took the goat downtown, and had sex with that goat in the middle of main street. I'll leave it to you to prove that didn't happen. I'm betting it didn't, but how can I be sure? 😉

Maybe now you get why I keep saying we can't deal in what ifs. 

I get it you think a punch is worse than someone using a weapon to swing at someone’s head which is an opinion

11 minutes ago, dont care said:

I get it you think a punch is worse than someone using a weapon to swing at someone’s head which is an opinion

For :censored:'s sake, how many times do I have to say the RESULT was worse. As in Washington's punch resulted in something far worse than Garrett's helmet swing did thus rendering Garrett's actions, at the very least, #2 on the list of "the worst thing to ever happen in sports." It's simply a fact. It's as easy as 2+2=4. I'm not saying what Garrett did was OK or somehow better. All I'm saying is the punch was worse. Seriously, why is that so hard for you to grasp? We don't know what the intent of either player really was. All we have to work with is what they tell us. Stop acting like you're positive that Garrett was trying to kill Rudolph and it was just blind luck that he didn't. You don't know what he was trying to do. All you know is that he swung a helmet at Rudolph. Period. We have to deal in what happened, not what could have happened. Does that work for you, Colombo or did the goat analogy fly over your head too?  

BB52Big.jpg

8 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

For :censored:'s sake, how many times do I have to say the RESULT was worse. As in Washington's punch resulted in something far worse than Garrett's helmet swing did thus rendering Garrett's actions, at the very least, #2 on the list of "the worst thing to ever happen in sports." It's simply a fact. It's as easy as 2+2=4. I'm not saying what Garrett did was OK or somehow better. All I'm saying is the punch was worse. Seriously, why is that so hard for you to grasp? We don't know what the intent of either player really was. All we have to work with is what they tell us. Stop acting like you're positive that Garrett was trying to kill Rudolph and it was just blind luck that he didn't. You don't know what he was trying to do. All you know is that he swung a helmet at Rudolph. Period. We have to deal in what happened, not what could have happened. Does that work for you, Colombo or did the goat analogy fly over your head too?  

All im saying is the ACT of using a weapon to assault is worse than punching someone. I agree the result was worse but to say the act wasn’t is in my opinion much less egregious than what Garrett did.

1 minute ago, dont care said:

All im saying is the ACT of using a weapon to assault is worse than punching someone. I agree the result was worse but to say the act wasn’t is in my opinion much less egregious than what Garrett did.

Again, we’re not talking about the act. The argument being made is that a face being caved in by a fist is worse than a helmet’s glancing blow. Just like the sentence for first degree murder is longer than the sentence for attempted murder or involuntary manslaughter.

VmWIn6B.png

18 minutes ago, LMU said:

Again, we’re not talking about the act. The argument being made is that a face being caved in by a fist is worse than a helmet’s glancing blow. Just like the sentence for first degree murder is longer than the sentence for attempted murder or involuntary manslaughter.

How are we not talking about the act? You can’t talk about the result without talking about the act. I’d also say the punch is most similar to involuntary manslaughter since he didn’t mean to injure him yet almost ended his career vs what garret did which was literally assault with a deadly weapon. 

I think what puts the helmet swing in the category as ONE of the worst things ever in sports is that there was a guy completely out of control. That Rudolph wasn't seriously injured was not the result of any care taken by Garrett; it was just that we got the best case scenario. It was a plate of food falling off the kitchen table, but landing right-side-up.

18 minutes ago, dont care said:

How are we not talking about the act? You can’t talk about the result without talking about the act. I’d also say the punch is most similar to involuntary manslaughter since he didn’t mean to injure him yet almost ended his career vs what garret did which was literally assault with a deadly weapon. 

@infrared41’s point: Tomjanovich was worse to witness than Rudolph.

The act aside, what had the worse aftermath?

BUpSnNl.png

or

L494J2V.jpg

And, honestly, Diontae Johnson and Juju got the worst of it in the same game.

Suspend Garett for life for all I care but Greg’s right in this case.

VmWIn6B.png

1 minute ago, LMU said:

@infrared41’s point: Tomjanovich was worse to witness than Rudolph.

The act aside, what had the worse aftermath?

BUpSnNl.png

or

L494J2V.jpg

Suspend Garett for life for all I care but Greg’s right in this case.

Which was the more egregious act a punch or tomahawking a helmet into another players unprotected head? Well just have to agree to disagree because I don’t believe a freak accident is worse and you aren’t gonna change my mind and I guess I won’t change yours.

3 hours ago, dont care said:

And I'd argue the mens rea behind both acts was the same in that both intended to injure their opponent.  If you're punching someone in the face, or swinging a football helmet at their head you're intending to injure them. 

20 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

Rudolph will most likely get a fine for grasping the facemask (the standard for that action), but make no mistake, nothing Rudolph did justifies Garrett going complete ape- :censored: there at the end. I mean your beating your arch rival by double digits at home with 8 seconds left, why do you even feel the need to get involved with a scrum anyway? Aye that was bad.

He'll be out the rest of the year, Pouncey most likely a game, and Ogenjobi could be as well (for his late, blind-side slam of Rudolph). What a crap shoot that turned out to be.

I encourage you to find where I was attempting to justify Garrett’s actions.

And I graciously ask you to take off your black-and-yellow glasses for just a minute. 

All I’m pointing out is that Rudolph has to shoulder some blame as well. He’s the one who initiated the fight by trying to rip Garrett’s helmet off and kicking him in his man parts.

(Side note: why on Earth did Rudolph go back and attack Garrett again, especially once his offensive linemen had already come to his defense? )

Garrett deserved to be suspended. Absolutely. I have no issue with that. 

But I’m struggling to see why Rudolph is being absolved of all blame and that he also received no punishment for instigating the fight to begin with. 

That doesn’t sit right with me. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

10 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

This is a dumb discussion. 

Someone did something stupid on a football field. That's it. 

Yes. Regardless of what Kermit Washington did to Rudy T. nearly two generations ago, it is not the issue.

The NFL protecting the Steelers by not suspending Rudolph, the backup QB so PIT can try to make the playoffs is the issue...😄

And Jerry Kramer was offside in the 67 Ice Bowl.

5 hours ago, LMU said:

It’s baffling to me that more people aren’t talking about this. 

Johnson was literally bleeding from his ears... I’ve never seen that from a football hit before.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

6 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

It’s baffling to me that more people aren’t talking about this. 

Johnson was literally bleeding from his ears... I’ve never seen that from a football hit before.

They are collateral damage, like Sean Lee.  The football industrial complex is large and the NFL has tv to protect it.

Goodell will never comment on that but since it hurts the balance sheet.

Before the game on Thursday, James Brown protected Roger from questions about the tryout.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-uses-scripted-paley-center-talk-to-jab-media-1202786504/

Archived