2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Potential 17-Game NFL Season Could Include Neutral-Site Games

I guess this makes the most sense, and wouldn't throw off the NFL's scheduling matrix for an even split of home and road games.  I'm just curious how the extra opponent is decided, probably another cross-conference opponent from a division not being played that year.

Link also talks about how the Super Bowl would be the last Sunday in February, and also grant a second bye week, with the season still starting the weekend after Labor Day.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I still don’t see the NFLPA agreeing to any extension of the season. Even if the shorten the preseason that’s just going to be a game they weren’t going to play in anyways unless they were a last day potential cut. 

The LaCanfora story regarding a 17-game schedule went out on Sunday after The NFL Today on cbssports.com, but on Monday, The Athletic published a story by business reporter Daniel Kaplan, in which those inside the NFL think that moving to 17 would reduce the number of injuries.

Here are three excerpts/quotes (bolded by me):

“What I will say is that the engineers, our statisticians, the health and safety committee have looked at an extension of one game and other scenarios, and the changes in health and safety are minimal,” said Dr. John York, the San Francisco 49ers owner and chairman of the NFL owners health and safety advisory committee. “In fact, in some cases, it’s a minimal decrease. Others it’s a minimal increase.”

The data is still not complete, but that it’s trending to what on its face is a counter-intuitive conclusion is not a complete surprise. Last month, the NFL disclosed concussions had gone up during preseason games this year, and the 17-game proposal would take away at least one preseason game.

The data is still not complete, but that it’s trending to what on its face is a counter-intuitive conclusion is not a complete surprise. Last month, the NFL disclosed concussions had gone up during preseason games this year, and the 17-game proposal would take away at least one preseason game.

So, we always, as you know, at this time of year start to look back at our preseason injury numbers,” Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL’s chief medical officer, told reporters last month. “We’ll start with concussions. I would say that overall the story there – it shows is that we still have work to do. We like to say that progress in health and safety is not always linear, and I think this is illustrated by the preseason.”

While that appears to be certainly true with concussions, not all injuries were up in the preseason. For the preseason, the numbers around some of our injuries that we track, ACL injuries, did go down this year; in the preseason there were 16 this year, compared to 28 last year, and MCL tears were also down – 29 this year compared to 36,” Sills said last month.

Basically, since guys who the dudes who are injured in preseason and are put on IR were not going to make the 53-man, so if we have less preseason games, we'll have less injuries. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Yep.  The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 sets the groundrules for no Friday nights or Saturdays from the second Friday in September until the second Saturday in December.

which given that it was 1961 (with only the 3 Networks plus maybe 2 or 3 independent stations) i am surprise that it has lasted this long.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

28 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

which given that it was 1961 (with only the 3 Networks plus maybe 2 or 3 independent stations) i am surprise that it has lasted this long.  

Congress really doesn't do much sports-specific legislation, unless it deals with amateur/Olympic sports.

That said, the NFL has been called to The Capitol for hearings regarding the act as well as their anittrust exemption about two times per decade. 

On 11/21/2019 at 1:26 PM, AstroBull21 said:

Potential 17-Game NFL Season Could Include Neutral-Site Games

I guess this makes the most sense, and wouldn't throw off the NFL's scheduling matrix for an even split of home and road games.  I'm just curious how the extra opponent is decided, probably another cross-conference opponent from a division not being played that year.

Link also talks about how the Super Bowl would be the last Sunday in February, and also grant a second bye week, with the season still starting the weekend after Labor Day.

I can't support a longer season.  If I could, though, I'd be intrigued by the neutral site ideas...Ideally, I'd love a lot of games to be played in college stadiums not near NFL teams.  Wyoming, Boise Smurf Turf, Alabama, West Virginia, etc...and for schedule integrity, to be truly neutral sites (i.e., no Bears at Notre Dame or Falcons at Auburn).  I don't see much of that happening, as the focus will be London and other international games with college stadiums providing a somewhat home-field advantage; it kinda doesn't make sense to scheudle a game not involving the Broncos at Wyoming.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The only reason I'd support a 17-game schedule is for all teams to have home game parity. That some teams have 7 home games and others 8 is absurd, especially with how many stadiums are publicly funded and sit idle 300+ days a year.

But if every team were forced to 7 home games, one neutral site game and 8 road games, that would get at the same goal, more or less. And I think the barnstorming nature of each team going somewhere different each season would be aesthetically interesting.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I can't support a longer season.  If I could, though, I'd be intrigued by the neutral site ideas...Ideally, I'd love a lot of games to be played in college stadiums not near NFL teams.  Wyoming, Boise Smurf Turf, Alabama, West Virginia, etc...and for schedule integrity, to be truly neutral sites (i.e., no Bears at Notre Dame or Falcons at Auburn).  I don't see much of that happening, as the focus will be London and other international games with college stadiums providing a somewhat home-field advantage; it kinda doesn't make sense to scheudle a game not involving the Broncos at Wyoming.

How many locals are going to pay NFL game prices in addition to their college team commitment, especially what I bolded?  NFL really ain't in the business of charity, a 17th game is all about profit. Outside of Utahans paying to seen the Broncos in SLC or Provo, San Antonio for the Cowboys, or the Saints in Jackson or Harrisburg, there are not 30 US markets, might not even really be 20.

Plus, college stadiums typically have more endzone seats than the typical NFL stadium.  Those are hard to sell for colleges now and you want the NFL to come in with their prices?  You also have the liquor license issue for some states and logistics like locker rooms and lighting for TV, which took Sam Boyd off the table for the Raiders.

It'll eventually end up as a 18 game season played over 20 weeks. 2 byes per team and and an additional playoff team per conference. #1 seed gets the bye into the conference semifinals. Human greed always rules until we go extinct. 

I don't see how neutral sites work if they're not essentially home games or something like the Steelers vs Eagles in Beaver Stadium or the Bucs and Jaguars in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium -- both of which would actually be awesome.  Is anyone traveling out to Iowa to watch two random teams plan in Kinnick stadium?

IUe6Hvh.png

11 minutes ago, See Red said:

I don't see how neutral sites work if they're not essentially home games or something like the Steelers vs Eagles in Beaver Stadium or the Bucs and Jaguars in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium -- both of which would actually be awesome.  Is anyone traveling out to Iowa to watch two random teams plan in Kinnick stadium?

CCSLC Sandusky hate for Penn State aside, as one who has driven to State College, if you are not interviewing there for a campus job, ain't no real reason to be there.

15 minutes ago, See Red said:

college stadiums have bench seating too.  Folks will pay for a Winter Classic bench seat, but may not for the NFL. 

I think people would just for the spectacle of it. Also NFL fans are stupid and will travel to see their team play at a :censored:ty stadium for inflated prices just to say they are a better fan than their neighbor billy bob who chose not to take out a second mortgage to see Tennessee take on the chargers in freaking Minnesota. 

I could see this be an interesting idea. Maybe you get the Redskins and the Panthers playing at Virginia Tech or the Chiefs and Cowboys playing at Oklahoma. Or the Raiders playing at the Oakland Coliseum one last time before it gets demolished. Maybe the Chargers play in San Diego for a game once the Aztecs have their new stadium. 

Has a lot of potential for games at interesting sites in the US as well as internationally. 

Carson Wentz might not make it out of the stadium alive today.  I could see him getting pulled at some point.  Dude's head isn't straight... must not have prayed enough.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Carson Wentz might not make it out of the stadium alive today.  I could see him getting pulled at some point.  Dude's head isn't straight... must not have prayed enough.

As someone once said when describing Carson Wentz “even Payton Manning would check down every once in a while.” Meaning Carson always tries to force the big play and that’s why he’s been struggling.

20 minutes ago, dont care said:

As someone once said when describing Carson Wentz “even Payton Manning would check down every once in a while.” Meaning Carson always tries to force the big play and that’s why he’s been struggling.

That's partially true.  He's holding the ball too long, probably looking for the big play, and ending up in situations where he can't throw it away or is rushed when finally checking down.  He's probably trusting his shabby-mostly-backup line a little too much and not sensing pressure and not running.  His current receivers are rated the worst in the whole NFL, and drop a lot, but even when he has time, he makes poor decisions and poor throws.

He's a total disaster this season - especially right now.  Sometimes you just need to sit a guy and give yourself a chance.  I'd rather see either of the other two QBs in there right now, even if their combined talent is half of Wentz' currently-untapped talent.

EDIT: I think that part of that 'looking for the big play' thing is him battling the "ghost of Foles", and putting extra pressure on himself.  It's pretty much the only thing I can think of, since he's proven that he can be absolutely brilliant over an extended period of time, and I don't think his injuries are the cause of this horrific play.

EDIT2: Wentz might be hurt, he just jogged into the locker room.  I hope he's hurt just enough to have to sit the rest of this one out.  Probably just needs to drop a quick deuce.

Seattle should be up like 30-3, but it's only 10-3.  They're basically begging the Eagles to win this game and Wentz is like "nah, we're good."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's partially true.  He's holding the ball too long, probably looking for the big play, and ending up in situations where he can't throw it away or is rushed when finally checking down.  He's probably trusting his shabby-mostly-backup line a little too much and not sensing pressure and not running.  His current receivers are rated the worst in the whole NFL, and drop a lot, but even when he has time, he makes poor decisions and poor throws.

He's a total disaster this season - especially right now.  Sometimes you just need to sit a guy and give yourself a chance.  I'd rather see either of the other two QBs in there right now, even if their combined talent is half of Wentz' currently-untapped talent.

EDIT: I think that part of that 'looking for the big play' thing is him battling the "ghost of Foles", and putting extra pressure on himself.  It's pretty much the only thing I can think of, since he's proven that he can be absolutely brilliant over an extended period of time, and I don't think his injuries are the cause of this horrific play.

EDIT2: Wentz might be hurt, he just jogged into the locker room.  I hope he's hurt just enough to have to sit the rest of this one out.  Probably just needs to drop a quick deuce.

Seattle should be up like 30-3, but it's only 10-3.  They're basically begging the Eagles to win this game and Wentz is like "nah, we're good."

I agree to a point, but at the same time his talent has been spread pretty thin between his own injuries and then having basically a JV offense other than ertz would cause anyone to struggle. 

Winless Bengals and Steelers w/their 3rd string QB tied 10-all in the 4th.

Mood music time:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived