Borussia Dortmund v Paris St-Germain

Real Madrid v Manchester City

Atalanta v Valencia

Atletico Madrid v Liverpool

Chelsea v Bayern Munich

Lyon v Juventus

Tottenham v RB Leipzig

Napoli v Barcelona

Chelsea always seems to get the short end of the stick when it comes to these round of 16 draws.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51272898

https://www.espn.com/soccer/liverpool-engliverpool/story/4041452/klopp-liverpool-will-only-play-kids-in-fa-cup-replay-vs-shrewsbury-town

Liverpool rolling out the kid's again for their FA Cup replay. the game falls in the Premier League winter break window, so Klopp will not use any first team players. I wonder how big a fine we might see from the FA? On one hand I understand wanting to give your team time off, but on the other hand this is the second time he's done this, the first out of necessity and this time out of hubris. They knew this was a possibility and they may not even be the only Premier League team dealing with this. I'm pretty sure the second team can still beat Shrewsbury but the FA will want to set an example regardless of the score. Winning the FA Cup is still a ticket to Europe, one Liverpool won't need, so what teams may look at this and say, "Screw it, we're bringing out the kids too"? They actually tried making a  cup that allowed Premier League teams to put their U21's against lower league competition but hardly any put their teams in.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

@dfwabel What's the standard across Europe? If the EPL is in line with Bundesliga, Lique 1, and La Liga I don't see the FA getting their way. Homegrown rules are so screwy that Harry McGuire is a homegrown player for Manchester United because he was bought from another British club and he happens to be English. Same for other teams in EPL who buy British players from British clubs.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/3/2020 at 3:58 PM, MJWalker45 said:

@dfwabel What's the standard across Europe? If the EPL is in line with Bundesliga, Lique 1, and La Liga I don't see the FA getting their way. Homegrown rules are so screwy that Harry McGuire is a homegrown player for Manchester United because he was bought from another British club and he happens to be English. Same for other teams in EPL who buy British players from British clubs.

Hey, I have not ignored you, rather I am looking at other things and also through the Bosman Ruling.  I've been trying to make this 2009 Marquette White Paper of the Bosman Ruling and UEFA Home Grown Player Rules, on how it applies to Brexit.  The standard may not necessarily apply now that they left the EU. 

37 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Hey, I have not ignored you, rather I am looking at other things and also through the Bosman Ruling.  I've been trying to make this 2009 Marquette White Paper of the Bosman Ruling and UEFA Home Grown Player Rules, on how it applies to Brexit.  The standard may not necessarily apply now that they left the EU. 

No worries. I figure it's never a straight forward answer when dealing with UEFA. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Damn... UEFA don't mess around if you get caught trying to cheat.

Now, if you're a fan of Sheffield United and Tottenham Hotspur, you're happy with this because now they head to the Champions League and Europa League respectively.

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Damn... UEFA don't mess around if you get caught trying to cheat.

Now, if you're a fan of Sheffield United and Tottenham Hotspur, you're happy with this because now they head to the Champions League and Europa League respectively.

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Now's the time for Pep to move to USMNT!

We'll see how well financed City are when they take this to CAS. I'm sure the decision won't be made until summer so that should make for some interesting summer plans for Sheffield, Spurs or whomever else gets moved up the ladder if they get dropped. Seeing as Real Madrid and PSG have been able to avoid that fate I'm not sure City will be banned at all either. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If it starts canceling more events it might warrant its own thread, but COVID-19 has stopped Japanese J-League games until March 15, Italian Serie A has seen 4 postponed games, 5 games to be played with no crowds, and Inter Milan’s Europa League game with no crowds. UEFA has also said they’ll keep an eye on the virus to see if it will affect the Euro 2020 this summer.

The Premier League is launching their own Hall of Fame, the first two players inducted will be announced March 19, with more to come. 

The official article only mentions players, though I’d assume managers will eventually be in too. If we’re going players though, I’d go Shearer and Giggs/Henry to start. If managers can be inducted initially Sir Alex is the first name on the sheet, followed by Shearer. 

spacer.png

Archived