MLS Beer League [concept series]

-kj

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Conrad. said:

Good start to the series...my favs so far would be the LAFC change kit, the FCD primary and the DCU primary. 

Also, here's a pretty big Sweetwater logo, which you could probably extract the 1-color wordmark from: SWB-Logo-Big-1.png?fit=4000,2588&ssl=1

Slight deviation but seriously Conrad once I had to reset my computer I immediately cussed into my pillow to the people who sent you cease and dessist letters because I lost all the fonts I had. #weneedyouback

On 7/9/2019 at 10:28 AM, vtgco said:

Yeah, I suppose that could work, with the right number color. I worry about if MLS would let this jersey  be worn against Chicago or Toronto though...

I'd go with a blue name/number, I think.  I wouldn't expect them to allow it against either, so they'd go with the blue change at those teams.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:28 AM, vtgco said:

Very appropriate sponsor for LAFC, seems like. Is their logo normally golden too?

It shows as white on black in most places, but they have examples on their website of changing the color to suit the surroundings.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Los Angeles Galaxy

Primary

XuDcCpg.jpg

All-white, navy trim, and a sash; after years of wandering the visual wastelands, the Galaxy have developed an iconic look over the last decade, and I wasn't about to go messing with that.  In this case, the navy sash is broken up by a yellow stripe.  I did decide to simplify the logo a bit, as even the simpler flat version used for the jerseys seemed too complex and had too many colors for my taste.

The sponsor is Monkish Brewing, makers of Galaxy Defender pale ale.

Change

zKcfhw1.jpg

I stuck with the Galaxy's tendency to go with an all-navy change strip, trimmed in yellow.  The shirt includes a yellow "ghost sash".

POTD 2013-08-22

Minnesota United

Primary

OpZoaEx.jpg

Was there any doubt that I was bringing back the wing?  It's a little different than the wing from the NASL days, but I think this version works a little better with a sponsor.  Black on gray with black socks and a hint of the light blue throughout.

The sponsor is Surly Brewing, one of the craft beer pioneers in the Twin Cities.

Change

iuZ7MDH.jpg

A little "Minnesota black and blue" for the change kit with an interrupted black diagonal stripe.

POTD 2013-08-22

Montreal Impact

Primary

YfoDxVr.jpg

Classic blue/black stripes for the Impact, though with a little more emphasis on the blue than what they currently use.

The sponsor is Unibroue, brewers of the absolutely amazing La Fin du Monde.

Change

viJiXa0.jpg

White/silver/white with a silver cross on the shirt and a silver/black tonal crest.  I admit, this one's a little odd at first glance. My original thoughts revolved around invoking the flag of Montreal, but then thought that a shirt involving white and red wouldn't go over so well with their fanbase.  I then thought about basing it more off of the Flag of Quebec, but having blue and black stripes on the primary means the need to stay away from large swaths of blue on the front of the change shirt.  So the cross became silver and here we are.  (I fear that gray/silver may have become the new all-white in this series.)

POTD 2013-08-22

So far a really great series that really hits home on 2 of my favorite things.

For Montreal: what you've done is great but it seems like, based on your write-up, that you had a bit of a harder time deciding what to do with the change.

Out of curiosity, did you consider using pink (I guess you could call it light pink or powder pink) like they used to do frequently in the USL/NASL days? I know those were basically just plain pink shirts but I thought that the Impact should have brought that to MLS.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I like the LA away... I'd like to see the home with the same sash striping pattern (thin yellow/thick blue/thin yellow).

I'm happy to see the return of the wing for MN. I think it would look good to replace all the white with light blue, and add some black to the sleeves.

For the MTL home, make the shorts stripes white to match the socks, and you're golden!

The away looks good, but maybe ditch all the black for a two-color look.

4 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

I know those were basically just plain pink shirts but I thought that the Impact should have brought that to MLS.

I would be on board with that. We need some relief from the all-white aways in the league!

5 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Out of curiosity, did you consider using pink (I guess you could call it light pink or powder pink) like they used to do frequently in the USL/NASL days? I know those were basically just plain pink shirts but I thought that the Impact should have brought that to MLS.

They generally did those as one-offs each season, right?  Minnesota did that back in the lower-division days as well.

As I've been posting these, I've been considering going back and creating thirds for each team; I might give that a try.

1 hour ago, vtgco said:

I like the LA away... I'd like to see the home with the same sash striping pattern (thin yellow/thick blue/thin yellow).

I think I started with that, but ended up changing it up because they've done that pretty often.

POTD 2013-08-22

New England Revolution

I mentioned earlier in the series that I didn't make too many changes to the club logos.  The Revs are the exception.

Crest

gxLOzkz.png

I'm still not entirely sure this is a finished product, to be honest, but I feel like it's a pretty good start.  

The top of the crest is laid out to resemble a revolutionary-era tricorn hat.  The pine tree at the bottom of the crest comes from the New England flag the Revs have been using recently, though it's recolored navy to avoid adding another color to the crest.  I carried over the soccer ball with stars to have a callback to the original logo.

Primary

E1TxmEd.jpg

The Revs have changed from all-blue to white shorts recently, and I found that I'm all for it.  I kept that look here and added some red trim to the mix; I also added tonal hoops across the front of the shirt.

The sponsor is Jack's Abby; their offshoot Springdale by Jack's Abby brews a collaboration with the Midnight Riders called Supporter Scarf.

Change

TGhGGSe.jpg

Taking some hints from the afore-mentioned flag of New England, the change strip is white/red/white; the shirt and socks have green trim, while the pine from the flag is shown in a tonal print of the front.

POTD 2013-08-22

15 hours ago, Mockba said:

They generally did those as one-offs each season, right?  Minnesota did that back in the lower-division days as well.

At the time of posting, I thought they were the change kits, but I did a very quick google and it seems they were considered 3rd jerseys. Guess my memory isn't what I hoped it was.

Amazing job with the Revs crest! I love it!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 7/3/2019 at 6:22 PM, Mockba said:

Atlanta United FC

Primary

FrZIEOt.jpg

This is all great work.

If Atlanta United doesn't want this it would be perfect for the (defending NCAA College Cup Champion!!!) Maryland Terrapins. Just maybe change the Vegas gold to athletic gold to match the state flag.

And, yes, I know the NCAA would frown on any sponsorship, let alone a brewery sponsorship.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

New York City FC

Primary

1ej19mH.jpg

NYCFC has changed recently to emphasizing navy over white, and I'm not a fan of that.  So here, the Pigeons return to white shorts with their usual sky blue.

The sponsor here is Brooklyn Brewery, which isn't small but has surprisingly modest roots.

Change

zAoz2W8.jpg

I really enjoyed the change shirt NYCFC had a few years ago with the circular pattern, so I took inspiration from that for this shirt with a pentagon pattern centered around the crest.

POTD 2013-08-22

New York Red Bulls

Primary

0iYt2dR.jpg

RBNY has been messing with their look the last couple of years, and I've come here to return them to their longstanding combination: white/red/white.  Nothing special about it, though I did remove the bulls across the gut, since I was adding a different sponsor.

I mentioned at the beginning that there was one team that didn't have a beer sponsor, and here it is: Jerry's Vodka, distilled in Kenilworth, New Jersey.  Vodka Red Bull, anyone?

Change

WuW2BQc.jpg

I'm surprised that after all these years I haven't seen any of the Red Bull-owned teams wear a kit that looks like their cans.  This change kit is mostly blue with silver quarters, offset to mimic the look of the iconic can.

POTD 2013-08-22

Orlando City FC

Primary

xYTyG24.jpg

Orlando is another team that nailed their look from the beginning.  Purple and gold, that's all.

The sponsor is Tampa-based Cigar City Brewing.

Change

gXdFCys.jpg

As a counterpoint to the plain primary kit, the change is a throwback to the club's time in Austin.

POTD 2013-08-22

FYI, I did decide to create thirds.  I have some of them done, and plan to unveil them after all the teams' initial sets are done.

Philadelphia Union

Primary

Q6jd7zK.jpg

Philly dumped the center stripe on their latest shirts, and it doesn't work for me.  Stick with your look, I say.  So here's a stripe.

The sponsor is Yards Brewing Company, creators of Son of Ben pale ale in conjunction with the Sons of Ben.

Change

04NFGun.jpg

I kept the center stripe for the change, with a bit more emphasis on the light blue.

POTD 2013-08-22

Portland Timbers

Primary

Am9Vu2o.jpg

Green with gold is the new classic look for the Timbers, and I'm continuing that here.  The shirt features a tonal chevron pattern, aping the stripes in the Timbers' crest.

The sponsor is Widmer Brothers Brewing, who has partnered with the team.

Change

Dwv7EM6.jpg

I brought back the "Rose City Red" for the change kit, with a fade at the bottom of the shirt .

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived