MLS Beer League [concept series]

-kj

Portland Timbers

LLxswJM.jpg

Yeah, another yellow kit.  This was originally the change kit, but I decided to create the Rose City Red instead.  The chevrons from the other kits are brought over to this one.

All three for Portland:

49DjQU7.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, NJMHero21 said:

are you going to do expansion

I have looks created for the three known expansion teams: Austin, Miami, and Nashville.

POTD 2013-08-22

Real Salt Lake

P7WXJiM.jpg

It's not yellow!  But... it's white.  Given RSL's tendency to use all-white secondary kits, I thought I'd throw one in for them for their thirds.  There is a crown pattern on the front of the shirt to break up the monotony a bit.

Full RSL kits:

tSKXCP0.jpg

POTD 2013-08-22

San Jose Earthquakes

uVz3h2V.jpg

San Jose likes to throw back to the NASL's Earthquakes, so that's what I did here.

All the Quakes:

ZjUVfr8.jpg

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, vtgco said:

You've got me scared now... 😬

You should be. ;)

Seattle Sounders

xFobCPx.jpg

Originally, I went pretty safe with this: all-black with Rave Green trim.  Then, after posting the Dallas 3rd, I realized that I needed to go for it a little more with this one.  The pattern and color scheme are taken from the Pop Culture Museum (nee Experience Music Project) in Seattle.

Sounders at full volume:

Qvuape9.jpg

POTD 2013-08-22

Toronto FC

KMn8Naz.jpg

This was another one I had trouble with.  In the end, I decided to create a quasi-fauback nod to the Metros-Croatia from the original NASL with a checkerboard pattern.

Full Toronto catalog:

we5r1WT.jpg

POTD 2013-08-22

Vancouver Whitecaps

zRsGMHi.jpg

The Whitecaps have used a couple of brown kits during their time in MLS, and they've looked great (despite some Adidas template wonkiness).  I decided to carry that forward with a twist: the shirt fades upward from brown to light blue in a mountain pattern taken from the team crest.

All the Vancouver takes:

3ez4X9R.jpg

----------

And that's it for the existing teams.  I'll add the three known expansion teams--Austin, Miami, and Nashville--throughout the day today.

POTD 2013-08-22

Austin FC

6uO211V.jpg

Individual views: primary / change / third

It seems that I'm one of the few who likes the Austin FC logo.  Their owner can take a quick walk into a ravine, but I like the styling of the logo.  So for the home and away, I decided to use the curves at the bottom of the tree as part of the striping pattern: black/green for the home, fading green on white for the home.  The third pays tribute to the elephant in the room when it comes to Austin sports, the University of Texas.

The sponsor is locally-acclaimed Jester King Brewery.

POTD 2013-08-22

Inter Miami

TgcNOtb.jpg

Individual views: primary / change / third

I don't care about the rumors going around that Miami's going to go all-white for their primary kit; I think they're missing a huge opportunity if they don't go pink. My home design includes a tonal version of the herons from the club crest.  The change is all-black with some pink trim and pinstripes stylized to be reminiscent of neon from South Beach.  As for the third, what's Miami without a little pastel blue?

The sponsor is local brewery MIA Beer Company.

POTD 2013-08-22

Let's go ahead and finish this off...

Nashville SC

Mzf5yf7.jpg

Indiidual views: primary / change / third

I went through a few ideas before finally settling on this look.   In their first two seasons in USL-C, Nashville has gone full-yellow with their primaries, with white sleeves in 2018 and yellow sleeves in 2019.  Now I generally prefer to keep a club's traditions, never mind how relatively new they are.  However, with Columbus really owning the full-yellow look in my mind, I thought that Nashville needed a way to stand out as different from the Crew. 

An early version of the primary had navy sleeves and shorts, since NSC has eliminated the white from their logo with the MLS change, but as I worked on the secondary, I found the leaning into navy on the primary to be limiting.  So I went back to their inaugural look, but with white shorts; the secondary ends up being a little dull with all-navy, but it makes a nice counterpoint.  Both shirts use a tonal N pattern taken from the new crest.

The third utilizes the colors of the Tennessee state flag; a special version of the crest encloses the N/wave in a circle, much like the stars are enclosed in the flag.

The sponsor is Mill Creek Brewing, who partnered with the club to create Goalden Ale.

----------

That's it, then; twenty-seven teams paired with twenty-seven local breweries (well, including one distillery).  I've published the full series to my Behance portfolio.

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/24/2019 at 6:28 PM, Mockba said:

You should be. ;)

AAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Cool and extremely unique idea to go with an EMP design, though I'm not sure I'd like to see my Sounders use it IRL....  I would change the logo recoloration to one color, possibly silver like the side of the building. The way you have it is too gaudy.

I like the Austin home & third a lot!

Miami looks cool, but the third should be tealer IMO.

Blue shorts & socks for Nashville's third would be a unique look. Also, if you changed New England's logo, why not change Nashville's?

Good work throughout this series! Cheers!

14 hours ago, vtgco said:

I would change the logo recoloration to one color, possibly silver like the side of the building. The way you have it is too gaudy.

I'm amused by the idea of the crest color being the step too far with everything else going on with that kit. :) 

I did the single-color on the white kit, and thought about it for the third, but I wanted the colors to stand out; I mean, I wasn't exactly going for subtle.  I hadn't thought about using the silver, though; doing the crest, numbers, and the trim (including the Adidas stripes) in silver might be an interesting look on that.

14 hours ago, vtgco said:

Blue shorts & socks for Nashville's third would be a unique look. Also, if you changed New England's logo, why not change Nashville's?

Now that I think of it, blue socks would make it work a little better in the flag motif; I wouldn't want to go with too much blue, because I wanted to keep it red-heavy to echo the flag.  Plus they already have the all-navy change, so blue shorts and socks would be a bit redundant.

As for the logo, Nashville's isn't too bad.  It's not impressive, but it's not heinous like the Revs'.  I also wanted to just concentrate on the kit designs, rather than making new logos.  Besides, the N on its own makes for a decent repeating pattern.

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived