1971 NFL Helmet Logos

1972? Redskins not in the Lombardi yellow helmet. Also note that they are alphabetized as New England and not Boston.

I own the same one. I got it following the death of my grandparents since they knew how much I loved it.

It's where I sit.

9 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

1972? Redskins not in the Lombardi yellow helmet. Also note that they are alphabetized as New England and not Boston.

I own the same one. I got it following the death of my grandparents since they knew how much I loved it.

The back of the tray said 1971 NFL Properties so I assumed 1971. Thanks for the info. 

Wiki (I know not always correct) said the New England name started in 71. 

Posting just because it is so cool

EDIT - You can find these on ebay with varying years. Pretty sure I have seen the 1971 with the Lombardi Redskin helmet and the Boston Patriots in their alphabetical place.

spacer.png

It's where I sit.

32 minutes ago, Jungle Jim said:

I really like these, but it always bugs me when helmets are depicted backwards, as the AFC ones are.  They did this on the lunch boxes, as well.  I hesitate to admit it, but this is a deal-breaker for me.  It annoys me that much.

I don't mind helmets facing left, but the Steelers present a problem.  I think the AFC on the left would be better for that reason.

I noticed that the buffalo's hind legs look blue or black.  I thought maybe it was a paint chip or something at first, but it looks like that on both trays.  Weird.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 hours ago, OnWis97 said:
9 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

I really like these, but it always bugs me when helmets are depicted backwards, as the AFC ones are.  They did this on the lunch boxes, as well.  I hesitate to admit it, but this is a deal-breaker for me.  It annoys me that much.

I don't mind helmets facing left, but the Steelers present a problem.  I think the AFC on the left would be better for that reason.

It took me a second to grasp what was meant by "backwards".  Even if the helmet facing right is the default view, a "team vs. team" display in which one helmet is facing right and the other facing left is so commonplace that I cannot consider a leftward-facing helmet to be "backwards".   (And I think that putting the logo on the left side of the Steelers' helmet in this view is a reasonable bit of artistic licence.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

These were gas station giveaways (Shell, if memory serves me).

My parents used to have one of these.  I'm pretty sure it had the Redskins' yellow helmet.  I''m hoping it's still at my mother's house, but I haven't looked in years.

I do have a set of the Colts glasses that were given away with the trays.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

27 minutes ago, Mitch B said:

Was the Bengals helmet logo ever that big?

No, but it seems like it's often depicted that way . . . presumably for legibility.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

No, but it seems like it's often depicted that way . . . presumably for legibility.

That helmet was kinda lame.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

38 minutes ago, Mitch B said:

That helmet was kinda lame.

Very lame. But the uniform that it went with was gorgeous.

160834191_1978-sportscaster-nfl-ken-ande

NFL-Gary-Burley-Cincinnati-Bengals-67-19

What a shame that the Bengals gave up these dignified uniforms for the various kinds of absurd clown suits that they have been wearing since 1981.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It took me a second to grasp what was meant by "backwards".  Even if the helmet facing right is the default view, a "team vs. team" display in which one helmet is facing right and the other facing left is so commonplace that I cannot considerr a leftward-facing helmet to be "backwards".

Some most certainly are, though. 

spacer.png

49 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Very lame. But the uniform that it went with was gorgeous.

160834191_1978-sportscaster-nfl-ken-ande

NFL-Gary-Burley-Cincinnati-Bengals-67-19

What a shame that the Bengals gave up these dignified uniforms for the various kinds of absurd clown suits that they have been wearing since 1981.

Now they have a classic helmet with a lame uniform.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

pretty sure the Bengals only wore that helmet for 1968? 

there wasn't quite the instant quality control back then as we have today. it may have been made in '71 but this definitely isn't the "1971 NFL". very cool piece though

The Bengals wore that helmet design from 1968-1979. They switched to black facemasks in 1980 and the tiger stripe pattern in 1981.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:30 PM, kmccarthy27 said:

The back of the tray said 1971 NFL Properties so I assumed 1971. Thanks for the info. 

Wiki (I know not always correct) said the New England name started in 71. 

In 1971, they were still wearing the Lombardi helmets, and it was indeed the first year of the New England Patriots.  My assumption is the tray was manufactured after the season and the new logo had been approved much earlier.

What I don't understand is since the Lombardi helmets were based on Green Bay's, then why have an "R" instead of "W" on the helmet?

Archived