NHL, 1917. (9-10/32 - NY Isles/Predators added 07-21, new hockey cards!)

Edubdesign

Here, I'll guess what all 31 NHL teams and Seattle would have looked like if they hit the ice on the league's first day.

It'll be pretty easy for a few (since... you know, they were there) but there's still plenty of room for creative licence if you ask me.

All of the jerseys are old-school, knit sweater style. I've gone over thousands of archive photographs of teams from that time to make the jerseys and the logos as authentic to the time period as possible. That said, I've tried to keep the colours consistent with what the times either wore around that time or what they wear now.

Here's the first - we'll start alphabetically, do every other team, then swing back and grab the ones we missed.

Up first are your Anaheim Ducks.

6Ew7y15.pngY8knjpv.png

Then, following that are the Boston Bruins - sporting their traditional brown and gold from around that time period.

OLt3kLs.png

az9Uccw.png

C&C is welcome. The next teams up are the Flames and the Black Hawks.

Continuing on with Calgary and Chicago.

wO1bbLt.png

svFNjRc.png

And here's the next one, Chicago.

Some notes on this one first: first, the team would be called the Black Hawks (with the space, since they used that spelling for 60 years). Second, since the famed Native head logo came from a WWI army unit and the war wasn't over yet, the logo is an actual black hawk.

Qu6pQEk.png

R4XG69K.png

Columbus and Detroit are up next.

4 hours ago, Eric Westhaver said:

Two more teams, coming right up: Columbus and Detroit.

4rve3JI.png

7gcFL9J.png

Eric, I really like the look of this uniform. It fits the era. However, the cannon logo (which I didn't know was a canon until I looked at who the team was) looks 1970s in its style. The first thing I thought of was a somewhat abstract logo for a Canadian team (like the Canadiens). It also reminds me a little of this Montreal logo:

spacer.png

Perhaps a more rudimentary drawing of a cannon as a logo/crest would convey the 1910s/1920s feel you're going for.

Again, I think it's a solid logo, especially if you were doing what the Bluejackets would look like in the 70's. It just doesn't come across like an early 20th century logo on an otherwise era-appropriate uniform.

17 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Eric, I really like the look of this uniform. It fits the era. However, the cannon logo (which I didn't know was a canon until I looked at who the team was) looks 1970s in its style. The first thing I thought of was a somewhat abstract logo for a Canadian team (like the Canadiens). It also reminds me a little of this Montreal logo:

spacer.png

Perhaps a more rudimentary drawing of a cannon as a logo/crest would convey the 1910s/1920s feel you're going for.

Again, I think it's a solid logo, especially if you were doing what the Bluejackets would look like in the 70's. It just doesn't come across like an early 20th century logo on an otherwise era-appropriate uniform.

Second this. The uniforms are period appropriate for sure but the logo is straight out of the 70s. The thick white outline especially contrasts with the dull jersey colors.

I like the double green for the Wild, but red seems like it would fit the time period better, as well as match the team colors...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Continuing with a couple of navy teams - the Isles and Preds.

I8GFhPJ.png

8pXqHLf.png

M62Ffe0.png

3JA6z2L.png

I've also added another aspect to this project. I found an old hockey card of the immortal Georges Vezina from around 1917 and I'm putting these designs down in vintage hockey card form.

WX3OSzK.pngM0u1J5k.pngdnTe0hM.pngqkYbCZm.png3jtF1Lh.pngCKmnMMl.png

23 minutes ago, Eric Westhaver said:

Any comments before we move on?

I think Columbus got better, but I personally feel like it could do without the cannon. But then it makes me think that they would get confused with Montreal, unless you have something different planned for them?

Also, what is the significance of the multi-colored circle for Chicago? I have no idea what it represents so that makes me think it could look better if removed. Then again, any clarification may sway my opinion towards keeping it...

Besides that, these are awesome and the card presentation is a perfect way to showcase these. Can’t wait to see the entire set!!!

On 7/21/2019 at 2:15 PM, Eric Westhaver said:

M62Ffe0.png

Hi, Sorry, but the logo for Predators did't look like 1910s-y.Try studying vintage lion/tiger/whatever cat logos for take inspiration to Predators. here's are good examples of: 

spacer.png

z6k2ifu5yjhbrffneoslajvfv.gif

7184.png

xuwdkh8ypy4qe3h3nr6uqnhf0.png

471.gif

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

Archived