Quillz

Teams with different home and road colors

Right after the Cardinals switched back to red caps on the road, they polled their fans for their preferred look. Navy caps on the road was the winning result, but that’s not what the owner’s son wants so they acted like the poll never happened and refused to talk about it. I’ve included pictures of Albert Pujols because it shows both looks and the overall uniforms I wish the Cardinals would return to. The birds on the bat were made (too) much bigger in 2013. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The owner's son has good taste. Red caps on the road > navy.

For a team that had blue road uniforms, it was about the Colorado Rockies' third-most (fourth-most if you count white) important color on their home unis.

(They sort of wavered between blue pants and red pants through the seasons, but this was especially noticeable in the red-pants years.)

c61eb561c14d9821b7df7442f3ccc9ab.jpgs-l300.jpg 

Haven't seen this one mentioned yet, and I remember it being one of the more egregious examples--one that was set in motion as early as 2003 with the switch to black numbers on the road jerseys, but really went into motion the following seasons. I give you...the Jacksonville Jaguars.

First, their normal home look, from 2004:

3931561411_RgCsKXf-800x1000.jpg

But then, what became their primary road look that same season, on up until their rebrand in 2009--which is what led me nickname them the "Blaguars":

jags-04-08-whitetop-richgabrielson-620x6

And then, of course, speaking of 2009, their primary home and road looks from that second uniform life...

jags-09-11-teal-zumapress-vert-620x930.j

91914863.jpg.0.jpg

Oh and, just to seal in the whole "Blaguars" thing they've been carrying on since then, their alternates that came some later...

Screen-shot-2013-04-23-at-15.20.50-.png

And of course, this has continued on into this past season, as well.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:57 AM, crashcarson15 said:

The 2001 (and surrounding years) Diamondbacks fit this bill pretty well.

randy-johnson-of-the-arizona-diamondback NYP2001103105.jpg

With the exception of small hints in the sleeve/cap logos, black only appeared on the road jersey (where it was the dominant color!), while teal only appeared on the home sets.

They’re both among my favorite baseball jerseys, even if they weren’t a great cohesive unit together.

Good example.  The road uniform here was an embarrassment.  Literally every thing about it sucks - the black cap with a goofy/cartoony snakeD that represents the nickname rather than location, the road pinstripes (99% of time awful), the overly outlined, overly shadowed wordmark that doesn't match anything else in thier set, just... awful.  They'd look better on the road if they just went out there covered in feces.

That being said, I'm in the minority that thought the A-chest home uniform was a classic that they could have kept using for decades.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

the road pinstripes

Something I actually liked.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Good example.  The road uniform here was an embarrassment.  Literally every thing about it sucks - the black cap with a goofy/cartoony snakeD that represents the nickname rather than location, the road pinstripes (99% of time awful), the overly outlined, overly shadowed wordmark that doesn't match anything else in thier set, just... awful.  They'd look better on the road if they just went out there covered in feces.

This is such a bad take.

surprised the cowboys haven’t been mentioned yet. Navy blue jerseys with white outlines on the numbers and logo on the side of the sleeve and gray pants. away (or white since they wear it at home) with larger royal blue numbers, black outlining of the sleeve stripes and sea foam green-silver pants. Personally if the Cowboys were to go in a more consistent direction i’d prefer building around the away jerseys with the royal blue

spacer.png

spacer.png

The current Toronto Argos makes you wonder which is the primary colour, if you were to take away the helmet.

D_YYkNBUIAAY7Lu.jpg

D_UN5GyUIAAgvqg.jpg

The 2007-09 Minnesota Wild after the red alternate was promoted to be the home.

Wild05.png

On 7/11/2019 at 10:16 AM, Olmec said:

Couldn't agree more. The color rush set (sans GIANTS of course) is how the giants should look on the road, imo. spacer.png

No sans, giants should look like this including the GIANTS wordmark. 

spacer.png

Anaheim Ducks come to mind. In the 90s the eggplant was not as prominent on the white jersey, although it balanced well with the pants.

The current set emphasizes orange and bronze a bit more on the white jersey although the black yoke and pants add some balance.

19 hours ago, Ark said:

This is such a bad take.

Not sure how an opinion on a subjective matter can be a ‘bad take’. I stand by it...

and if possible, would double down on it.  

On 7/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, andycumbee19 said:

To be fair, the Broncos' current set was originally designed to be navy-dominant altogether; they just made orange the primary home again a few years back. (Personally, I prefer them in orange to navy.)

On 7/11/2019 at 12:16 PM, Olmec said:

Couldn't agree more. The color rush set (sans GIANTS of course) is how the giants should look on the road, imo. spacer.png

Needs blue socks too. 

I’d totally forgotten about the Atlanta Thrashers in regards to this topic till now.

spacer.png

On 7/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

I’d totally forgotten about the Atlanta Thrashers in regards to this topic till now.

spacer.png

In fairness to you, a lot of people have forgotten about the Thrashers, in general.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

spacer.png

This might be the least cohesive set in sports history. Three different main colors and three different designs. Hell, the socks are three different striping patterns. 

What a mess.