The Best Grey/Silver Uniforms

One of the biggest uniform trends (especially in college football) is a grey, silver, or anthracite *shudders* uniform, but almost every one is butchered for one reason or another, whether because grey isn't a school/team color, the grey is too dark, etc. This means that some uni-fanatics are advocating avoiding grey altogether. However, I think that grey can still be an effective color, not only in team identities, but as the base color for a uniform. Was wondering if any of you had any good examples of grey uniforms or uniform elements that teams actually pull off (excluding the required road uniforms in baseball), or any teams with grey in their identities that should had a grey alternate. Some off the top of my head: Tennessee, Northwestern, Purdue, Air Force (both old and new APLS anthracites) Army has had good grey unis in the past and the paratrooper anthracites from a few A/N games were good, TCU (frogskin is ok by me on an alternate look). WashU's non-anthracite stuff is awesome, though I may be biased since it's close to what my high school wears, and Vanderbilt has had some good biege/dull gold looks, which are sorta in the same family as grey. LA Kings and Spurs are the best examples of pro teams.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wade Heidt said:

Some good CFL ones:

BC Lions old gun-metal grey alternate.

spacer.png

Never seen gunmetal fabric before - looks pretty cool.  It would be much better for Tampa than the brown-pewter they use now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm biased but the absolutely best grey/silver uniform in sports belongs to the Colorado Buffaloes. The grey is incredibly unique in person (the photos look nice but don't do it justice), silver is a school color (black isn't but has always been an athletics color), and they mix and match the pants, jerseys and helmets and usually look really nice as well. CU also has a nice looking grey in a few other sports such as basketball too.

spacer.png

You mentioned Purdue, my other alma mater, so I'll post their current grey football uniform too. I really want to like this look but the double grey, and almost dingy look (hard to see in this picture) makes it fall below the bar for me.

spacer.png

Both schools have also experimented/worn gold jerseys in various sports for various periods of time and typically look very nice IMO.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

19 minutes ago, JTernup said:

spacer.png

Purdue wore that uniform against Penn State as well, and on TV it was one of the weirdest matchups I'd ever seen. It was like watching both teams wearing away uniforms on a black and white TV. I still have no idea how that's considered a valid dark uniform.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

The Celtics brief gray “city” uniforms should have never seen the court, and are doomed to be associated with the heinously underachieving Kyrie era. But in a vacuum, they looked nice aesthetically, for the four or five games they saw the light of day.

AR-180219653.jpg?MaxW=600

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

The Celtics brief gray “city” uniforms should have never seen the court, and are doomed to be associated with the heinously underachieving Kyrie era. But in a vacuum, they looked nice aesthetically, for the four or five games they saw the light of day.

AR-180219653.jpg?MaxW=600

I like it too. Green and grey oddly work together. They also used the court floor pattern on those jerseys even though they were literally unnoticeable from a feet away

IMG-7122.gif

I know everyone hated these but these are my favorite grey jerseys of recent memory. The contrast of the black and white to the grey and the shiny gold is just a beauty to me. It was a fresh breath of air from the cavs dark uniforms lebron_james_nba_180207_cle-vs-min-02.jp

IMG-7122.gif

I didn’t think Illinois looked too bad in these. 

spacer.png

I also liked these graphite Nets “Remix” uniforms. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived