Buffalo All- Americans concepts

Darth Brooks

A while back I did some concepts for defunct NFL teams. I didn't do a team called the Buffalo All-Americans because they didn't have an authentic logo anywhere online, at least what i could find. The two images featured on the Sports encyclopedia are wrong. (http://sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/buf20/allamericanbisons.html)

The one on the left is from a different Buffalo team and the one on the right was draw by Bob Carroll, the late Executive Director of the Professional Football Researchers Association, who felt the team should have a proper emblem to represent it.

A couple of weeks ago I saw this:

Lq3cAAK.jpg

Which was posted on a Facebook page devoted to the team. The page manager verified that Buffalo had used the image on their letterhead, which made it the most authentic logo out there. I wondered where the image came form and spent some nights searching through old illustrations before finding this,

Sk1qdfp.jpg

Which was drawn by an English minister named Samuel Morrison for this book, https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t8gf0nk9n&view=1up&seq=42

i did some redrawing of the logo, increasing the size of the head to correct the proportions and to add character. Which got me here:

V1PDqPY.jpg

I had previously made an "AA" logo and posted bout it here:

I did a couple of concepts and would like to know what you think. The team's official colors were black and orange, which is where the color scheme comes from. I came up with two different versions. Please tell me what you think of them. First goes off the name All-Americans, second goes off Buffalo.

330UpxK.jpg

Edited to add: I will add the uniform(s) later.

The bull head itself looks real old school and that may be the vibe your going with so I dig it. Looks like something you would have saw in the 70s.

btw do you have a template for those helmets? Those are nice 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

I know it defies the standard conventions of sports logo design, but to hit the effect at play, I think it would make sense to maintain the high level of detail from the reference picture, so long as it could be simplified for small-scale application. This is a rare case where simplifying the design strips away the majority of its charm, IMO.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:43 PM, Darth Brooks said:

Which part? The uniforms and helmets are two different templates.

The helmet template would be appreciated. The uniform template I haven’t seen yet. 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

Archived