SportsLogos.Net News

NFL, Nike Introduce Inverted Football Jerseys

Recommended Posts

On 7/15/2019 at 7:02 PM, WSU151 said:

Kinda works with teams that only wear one color and white. 

 

Agreed.  The Packers ruined their road jerseys when they decided to replace their distinctive road striping with an inverse of the home stripes. 

 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Agreed.  The Packers ruined their road jerseys when they decided to replace their distinctive road striping with an inverse of the home stripes. 

 

spacer.pngspacer.png

I'll second this. When Nike truncated the sleeve stripes the jersey lost a little bit more than just the sleeves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tajmccall said:

I'll second this. When Nike truncated the sleeve stripes the jersey lost a little bit more than just the sleeves.

 

The shrinking of the sleeve stripes from 5 to 3 was pre- Nike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

The shrinking of the sleeve stripes from 5 to 3 was pre- Nike

 

I think it was late-90s-Nike.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, Sykotyk said:

As a Browns fan, I'll pass. 

 

I was REALLY hoping that they’d do an orange inverted version of their Color Rush™ jersey (hopefully something like that is rolled out next year), and I even like the idea of gray/silver in the Browns uniforms (primarily as alternate pants, though), nothing can save that awful 2015 template.

 

I can reiterate the thoughts of many here in that the inverted jerseys for New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and the NY Jets would look well with the right combo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

I think it was late-90s-Nike.

 

spacer.png

 

Yes.  It was 1997, before there were any league-wide deals.  The Packers signed with Nike, who talked them into reducing the sleeve stripes. As with the Steelers, Nike wanted to leave its own mark on an otherwise-untouchable uniform.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gothamite said:

 

Yes.  It was 1997, before there were any league-wide deals.  The Packers signed with Nike, who talked them into reducing the sleeve stripes. As with the Steelers, Nike wanted to leave its own mark on an otherwise-untouchable uniform.  

 

That and players were already truncating the stripes.

 

005704485Final.jpg&w=1000&q=70

 

It’s like what the Bills did with their Super Bowl-era uniforms. Two official sleeve stripes became one, due to player mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which is undoubtedly why the Packers allowed themselves to be talked into it.  But that doesn’t change Nike’s motivations.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Which is undoubtedly why the Packers allowed themselves to be talked into it.  But that doesn’t change Nike’s motivations.  

 

Not everything is a Nike conspiracy. Whether it was Nike, Adidas, or Puma, I’m sure it would have happened given how the players wore their jerseys. 

 

It beats how the Steelers poorly adapted to shrinking sleeves, that’s for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who said anything about a conspiracy?  This is a known thing.  

 

In 1995, Nike came in with ideas for a radical overhaul, including new primary logos. (I’ve heard they also suggested a custom number font, but that’s the one piece of the story that hasn’t been verified.) The Packers had initiated an overhaul just a couple years earlier before pulling the plug at the last minute, so they weren’t really interested, and rejected them all out of hand.

 

Nike countered with some minor tweaks, including changing the helmet and pants stripes altogether, or slimming down the sleeve stripes.  That one the Packers were down for, and the change was made for 1997.

 

I didn’t say it was a bad change, only that it was a change suggested by Nike after the Packers rejected their more radical designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I misread your previous posts. Thanks for the clarification. I was worried we were going down the conspiratorial "Nike = pure evil" trope that appears far too often here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 7:08 PM, Tracy Jordan said:

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a navy blue version of the current jersey. The red alternates need to be retired.

 

IMO, navy blue has zero place in their current aesthetic. The red jersey would be 10x better paired with white pants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, Tracy Jordan said:

 

If that's navy, then I must be color blind. Both of these jerseys are listed as navy:

 

ff_3036808alt1_full.jpg&w=900

 

 

ff_3358646-4bcb6da1361ce6b272e7alt1_full

They are both navy, just the bills one is the midnight navy the bears also use. The Titans is the regular navy the broncos use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

 

IMO, navy blue has zero place in their current aesthetic. The red jersey would be 10x better paired with white pants.

 

The red jersey over white pants would be better, but they still look too much like the Pats, IMO...

 

brady-moss.jpg

 

A decade ago, the Bills would occasionally wear their navy practice jerseys with the standing Buffalo helmets during training camp and I thought it was a great look.

 

Buffalo Bills Training Camp - July 31,2008

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Broncos (Dark Gray) Chargers (Gold) Niners (Metallic Gold) Cowboys (Silver) and Cardinals (Silver) are also now available.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, Gothamite said:

In 1995, Nike came in with ideas for a radical overhaul, including new primary logos. (I’ve heard they also suggested a custom number font, but that’s the one piece of the story that hasn’t been verified.) The Packers had initiated an overhaul just a couple years earlier before pulling the plug at the last minute, so they weren’t really interested, and rejected them all out of hand.

 

Nike countered with some minor tweaks, including changing the helmet and pants stripes altogether, or slimming down the sleeve stripes.  That one the Packers were down for, and the change was made for 1997.

 

 

Could you provide some background and insight to where this info came from, I've never heard this before.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, Gothamite said:

Who said anything about a conspiracy?  This is a known thing.  

 

In 1995, Nike came in with ideas for a radical overhaul, including new primary logos. (I’ve heard they also suggested a custom number font, but that’s the one piece of the story that hasn’t been verified.) The Packers had initiated an overhaul just a couple years earlier before pulling the plug at the last minute, so they weren’t really interested, and rejected them all out of hand.

 

Nike countered with some minor tweaks, including changing the helmet and pants stripes altogether, or slimming down the sleeve stripes.  That one the Packers were down for, and the change was made for 1997.

 

I didn’t say it was a bad change, only that it was a change suggested by Nike after the Packers rejected their more radical designs.

 

following up on my previous post... Can you provide a source where this information came from?  Thanks.

 

@Gothamite

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png

 

This may be one of the worst photoshop jobs ever. I think they actually put the sleeve stripes on backwards. Did someone get paid for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 2:26 PM, Gothamite said:

Who said anything about a conspiracy?  This is a known thing.  

 

In 1995, Nike came in with ideas for a radical overhaul, including new primary logos. (I’ve heard they also suggested a custom number font, but that’s the one piece of the story that hasn’t been verified.) The Packers had initiated an overhaul just a couple years earlier before pulling the plug at the last minute, so they weren’t really interested, and rejected them all out of hand.

 

Nike countered with some minor tweaks, including changing the helmet and pants stripes altogether, or slimming down the sleeve stripes.  That one the Packers were down for, and the change was made for 1997.

 

I didn’t say it was a bad change, only that it was a change suggested by Nike after the Packers rejected their more radical designs.

 

On 7/22/2019 at 7:28 PM, ebod39 said:

 

Could you provide some background and insight to where this info came from, I've never heard this before.

 

 

 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:18 PM, ebod39 said:

 

following up on my previous post... Can you provide a source where this information came from?  Thanks.

 

@Gothamite

 

 

 

It was actually in 1994.  Ron Wolf was the one who had ideas for changes for the Packers.  It was quickly abandoned before it ever saw the field

You can read about it all at the following: http://packersuniforms.blogspot.com/2009/02/uniform-change-that-wasnt.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.