NFL, Nike Introduce Inverted Football Jerseys

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  The Packers ruined their road jerseys when they decided to replace their distinctive road striping with an inverse of the home stripes. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

I'll second this. When Nike truncated the sleeve stripes the jersey lost a little bit more than just the sleeves.

8 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The shrinking of the sleeve stripes from 5 to 3 was pre- Nike

I think it was late-90s-Nike.

spacer.png

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, Sykotyk said:

As a Browns fan, I'll pass. 

I was REALLY hoping that they’d do an orange inverted version of their Color Rush™ jersey (hopefully something like that is rolled out next year), and I even like the idea of gray/silver in the Browns uniforms (primarily as alternate pants, though), nothing can save that awful 2015 template.

I can reiterate the thoughts of many here in that the inverted jerseys for New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and the NY Jets would look well with the right combo

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

39 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think it was late-90s-Nike.

spacer.png

Yes.  It was 1997, before there were any league-wide deals.  The Packers signed with Nike, who talked them into reducing the sleeve stripes. As with the Steelers, Nike wanted to leave its own mark on an otherwise-untouchable uniform.  

Just now, Gothamite said:

Yes.  It was 1997, before there were any league-wide deals.  The Packers signed with Nike, who talked them into reducing the sleeve stripes. As with the Steelers, Nike wanted to leave its own mark on an otherwise-untouchable uniform.  

That and players were already truncating the stripes.

005704485Final.jpg&w=1000&q=70

It’s like what the Bills did with their Super Bowl-era uniforms. Two official sleeve stripes became one, due to player mods.

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Which is undoubtedly why the Packers allowed themselves to be talked into it.  But that doesn’t change Nike’s motivations.  

Not everything is a Nike conspiracy. Whether it was Nike, Adidas, or Puma, I’m sure it would have happened given how the players wore their jerseys. 

It beats how the Steelers poorly adapted to shrinking sleeves, that’s for sure.

Who said anything about a conspiracy?  This is a known thing.  

In 1995, Nike came in with ideas for a radical overhaul, including new primary logos. (I’ve heard they also suggested a custom number font, but that’s the one piece of the story that hasn’t been verified.) The Packers had initiated an overhaul just a couple years earlier before pulling the plug at the last minute, so they weren’t really interested, and rejected them all out of hand.

Nike countered with some minor tweaks, including changing the helmet and pants stripes altogether, or slimming down the sleeve stripes.  That one the Packers were down for, and the change was made for 1997.

I didn’t say it was a bad change, only that it was a change suggested by Nike after the Packers rejected their more radical designs.

On 7/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, Tracy Jordan said:

If that's navy, then I must be color blind. Both of these jerseys are listed as navy:

ff_3036808alt1_full.jpg&w=900

ff_3358646-4bcb6da1361ce6b272e7alt1_full

They are both navy, just the bills one is the midnight navy the bears also use. The Titans is the regular navy the broncos use.

54 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

IMO, navy blue has zero place in their current aesthetic. The red jersey would be 10x better paired with white pants.

The red jersey over white pants would be better, but they still look too much like the Pats, IMO...

brady-moss.jpg

A decade ago, the Bills would occasionally wear their navy practice jerseys with the standing Buffalo helmets during training camp and I thought it was a great look.

Buffalo Bills Training Camp - July 31,2008

On 7/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, Gothamite said:

In 1995, Nike came in with ideas for a radical overhaul, including new primary logos. (I’ve heard they also suggested a custom number font, but that’s the one piece of the story that hasn’t been verified.) The Packers had initiated an overhaul just a couple years earlier before pulling the plug at the last minute, so they weren’t really interested, and rejected them all out of hand.

Nike countered with some minor tweaks, including changing the helmet and pants stripes altogether, or slimming down the sleeve stripes.  That one the Packers were down for, and the change was made for 1997.

Could you provide some background and insight to where this info came from, I've never heard this before.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, Gothamite said:

I didn’t say it was a bad change, only that it was a change suggested by Nike after the Packers rejected their more radical designs.

following up on my previous post... Can you provide a source where this information came from?  Thanks.

@Gothamite

On 7/20/2019 at 2:26 PM, Gothamite said:

On 7/22/2019 at 7:28 PM, ebod39 said:

Could you provide some background and insight to where this info came from, I've never heard this before.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:18 PM, ebod39 said:

following up on my previous post... Can you provide a source where this information came from?  Thanks.

@Gothamite

It was actually in 1994.  Ron Wolf was the one who had ideas for changes for the Packers.  It was quickly abandoned before it ever saw the field

You can read about it all at the following: http://packersuniforms.blogspot.com/2009/02/uniform-change-that-wasnt.html

Archived