Why do NBA Summer league jerseys have the names at the lower bottom?

I was watching a Summer League game and only now did i realize their names were on their uniforms but at the bottom. I always assumed the summer league jerseys simply didn’t have names on them

what reason is there for this? I doesn’t look easier for refs to read and just looks plain stupid. I know a few NBA alternates have names at the bottom though. What prompted the NBA to try out this style? I’ve never seen any other sport that puts the names on the bottom 

spacer.png

Logistically, no need to arch a name when placed under the number?  Much like the Detroit Red Wings don't arch their player names in preseason, not wanting to expend the effort for guys who may not stick with the big club.

Going further on the subject of Detroit, the Pistons used to do straight names, no arching, above the number, so *shrug emoji guy*

andre-drummond-john-wall-reggie-jackson-

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I wish the Pistons kept the straight names. But, I don’t mind a few NUTN like the Kings, Grizz and Thunder do on some of their jerseys.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Logistically, no need to arch a name when placed under the number?  Much like the Detroit Red Wings don't arch their player names in preseason, not wanting to expend the effort for guys who may not stick with the big club.

It looks like the Summer League jersey numbers/names are printed on, not sewn, so it's probably very little skin off the equipment guy's nose. And referees are far more concerned with numbers for player identification than they are names.

I think it's just an aesthetic thing. Looks decent enough, and differentiates the Summer League in a small way. I'm sure some All-Star Game jerseys have done this as well. I thought the name-under-the-number thing started with European basketball teams, but after a Google image search, it appears they put names above the numbers and then team names underneath.

Unpopular opinion: I actually prefer names under the jerseys. Especially since oftentimes people identify players as "#x: Name Name." I've always felt it looks a bit cleaner, too. To me it looks weird only because it's not what we're used to.

48 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

It looks like the Summer League jersey numbers/names are printed on, not sewn, so it's probably very little skin off the equipment guy's nose. And referees are far more concerned with numbers for player identification than they are names.

I think it's just an aesthetic thing. Looks decent enough, and differentiates the Summer League in a small way. I'm sure some All-Star Game jerseys have done this as well. I thought the name-under-the-number thing started with European basketball teams, but after a Google image search, it appears they put names above the numbers and then team names underneath.

I thought European basketball too but the one team that always does it in soccer doesn't do it for their basketball team (Bayern Munich)

11 hours ago, BlackJack said:

I was watching a Summer League game and only now did i realize their names were on their uniforms but at the bottom. I always assumed the summer league jerseys simply didn’t have names on them

what reason is there for this? I doesn’t look easier for refs to read and just looks plain stupid. I know a few NBA alternates have names at the bottom though. What prompted the NBA to try out this style? I’ve never seen any other sport that puts the names on the bottom 

spacer.png

Referees don’t use names (they use numbers), so that’s negligible. It’s likely an efficiency thing. No one needs to be spending time setting letters on an arc for summer league. The reason you typically only see this in basketball (or on baseball vests) is because there’s less area in the upper back on a tank or vest, whereas sleeved jerseys have a fuller back/shoulder area to apply a name. The most room on a tank or vest is around the waist, and it’s conducive to straight names, which are easier to set.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 hours ago, appleclock said:

spacer.png

I remember the NHL did this in the 2001 All Star Game, along with separate jerseys for the goalies, like in soccer.

And North America was reversed with the name above the numbers. 

14 hours ago, BlackJack said:

spacer.png

I think the G League does this too, and the WNBA definitely does this. It's a step up from reversible jerseys but it's not really necessary. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Basketball NOBs are fine underneath the number. More real estate, fewer extreme arcs and “Abdul-Jabar” situations. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived