NHL Legacy Alternate Concepts

mattr1198

Hi all,

I decided to create a series based off the one I did for the NBA, in which I make alternate jerseys for the NHL that combine most (if not all) the team's brand history into one uniform. I thought this would be a cool way of acknowledging team histories while making unique alternate uniforms for each team (excluding Vegas, since they've only had one logo and uniform set, sorry Golden Knights fans...)

I hope y'all enjoy and CC is welcome!

Starting off with three:

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim/Anaheim Ducks

1990s-Mid 2000s: Front logo

Mid 2000s-early 2010s: Sleeve styling

Early 2010s-present: Shoulder logos, colors

spacer.png

Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes:

1990s-early 2000s: General jersey design

early 2000s-early 2010s: Shoulder logo

Early 2010s-present: Front logo, colors

spacer.png

Boston Bruins:

1950s: Color, sleeve design

1960s-80s: Front logo coloring, shoulder design, neck coloring

2000s-present: Front logo design, shoulder logo

spacer.png

Going in alphabetical order by city, so that'll be the order.

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like these a lot. You captured the essence for sure. Wish the Ducks could have been eggplant/jade but totally understand the color choice here.  Boston in mostly yellow is really nice, including the B being yellow.  That’s a fresh take.

1 hour ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

You could have all the existing Vegas hockey teams designs and apply it to the Golden Knights design, though.

Interesting idea. Could definitely try that out. Obviously wouldn’t be doing their set for a while, but could be interesting.

NYC x STL

spacer.pngOnly suggestion is to put that alternate runnin coyote for the coyotes 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Buffalo Sabres:

1970s-mid 90s: Front logo, blue shade, striping

mid 1990s-late 2000s: Red accents, shoulder logos

2010s-present: Number font

spacer.png

Calgary Flames: 

1980s-90s: Colors, front logo

2000s: Number font/italics, shoulder logo (recolored)

2010s-present: Side striping

spacer.png

More to come! Note, I will be including throwback teams in certain cases (Hurricanes/Whalers, Avs/Nords, Stars/North Stars, etc.) as well if deemed fit/significant.

NYC x STL

Buffalo is cool with the red—kinda out of place but remember the bison’s eye is red in the logo.  Calgary is a miss for me—I just don’t see how you mesh their 80s color scheme with their present side panel look, just too much of a collision of eras there. Keep up the good work.

Really fun idea for a series. I'll echo the above statement, while the designs are unique and well thought out, the execution is less than stellar. There are some really good templates available that you could take advantage of. With that being said, I'm really digging most of these. 

The Ducks look really good and I would take this look over their current unis. However, I feel as though the 2010s are a bit over represented here. The orange sweater is a welcome change over the black one they wear now. It just reminds me of the short-lived orange alt, when they brought back the Disney logo, mixed with the 2006 change. I'd like to see this one eggplant and jade but maybe I'm just a bit nostalgic. 🙃

No problems with Arizona. Good work on this one. 

The Bruins are great. I'd tell you to throw in some late 90s/early 2000s elements for some more representation of an era. But, let's be honest, that would just downgrade the design. 

You had your work cut out for you for Buffalo. It's tough when a team drastically changes their entire identity. Trying to shoehorn in blue, yellow, red, and black would be too much. While I really like blue/yellow/red as a color scheme, I think it's a bit much for the Sabres. I would suggest using the badass buffalo head logo of the late 90s (or even the detailed crossed-swords logo introduced around then) and recoloring it with current colors.

Another tough one with Calgary. But I actually really like it. It's not an ideal sweater for the team or anything. For this project though, it's fun and incorporates many eras nicely. 

3 hours ago, OhioSportsMan61 said:

Rather than paint bucketing over the designs I made for the motherboard, why don’t you start from scratch on a blank template? Your concepts are nice but they’re really lacking execution-wise because you’re refilling over rasterized templates. 

Yes I'm beginning to realize working off a prior template makes things more difficult, so I'm going to work from a fresh blank template with the future concepts to allow for greater creativity and color implementations.

NYC x STL

UPDATES:

Updated the Sabres legacy jersey, removing the red from the striping (kept it for the logos to have something from the 90s represented).

spacer.png

Also, seems like the Flames jersey was not a big hit, so I actually flipped it on itself and decided to use the 80s-90s style with the 00s-present color scheme. I also removed the flaming horse, realizing it was out of place and loathed. Hopefully this looks better:

spacer.png

NYC x STL

Carolina Hurricanes (Hartford Whalers Inclusive):

1980s: Whalers colors, sleeve design

1990s-2000s: Shoulder Yoke, front logo

2010s-Present: Number font, shoulder logo, warning flag bottom design

spacer.png

NYC x STL

How about blue for the flags and green on the striping for the canes?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Since the Hurricanes concept doesn't seem to be a hit with the classic Whalers colors, I made two updated versions, one with black striping and one with white striping. Now the middle stripe is a blend of the 2010s Hurricanes and 1980s Whalers, while the sleeve striping remains the same Whalers version. Also, the colors are reverted back to the Hurricanes scheme. Let me know which is better before I move on to the Stars

spacer.png

spacer.png

NYC x STL

I actually liked the Whaler-colored jersey better. Although, I would change the colors on the warning flag striping design. I understand you're going for a subliminal effect but it looks a bit off. It's like when you make a square with a yellow highlighter on white paper and the middle looks purple. 

On 7/16/2019 at 7:55 PM, mattr1198 said:

spacer.png

This would look great with red as the base, rather than black.  I've always thought this is the way they should have gone.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived