Sign in to follow this  
ZapRowsdower8

Corvallis vs. Eugene

Apologizes in advance if I should have put this in the Lounge instead.

I moved cross country to Portland about 5 months ago and have really been enjoying all of the wonderful things that the PNW has to offer. To branch out even more I was thinking of going to a CFB game sometime this fall. My question for the experts is, would you rather catch a game at OSU or UO? I would have either my entire family with me or at least my 7yo girl, meaning that the game would only be part of the day trip. How would you rate things like stadium/gameday atmosphere, college town appeal, and other sites around the two towns? 

Thanks!

It depends on what you're looking for. Eugene is a rather large city (I think it's the second largest city in the state?), where Corvallis is a lot smaller and other than the college, there's not a whole lot else going on. I personally like Eugene better, because I'm more of a city person, but you'll see a lot more "city" style problems (Meth teeth)  in Eugene than you will in Corvallis. I still like Eugene better. I've only spent a few days in either city, though. 

The PAC 12 has a bit of a contrast between the non-California "rival" U's vs the State U's. Most of them contrast in that one is in a large city (ASU, Washington, Oregon), while the "Rival" is in the smaller town (Arizona, Washington State, Oregon State).

If I were you? I would take the trek up north to Seattle and catch a UW game. Seattle alone is worth the drive, and I don't think it's that much further than a trip to Eugene or Corvallis would be. What Seattle has to offer in comparison to Eugene and Corvallis is worth the extra miles. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

It depends on what you're looking for. Eugene is a rather large city (I think it's the second largest city in the state?), where Corvallis is a lot smaller and other than the college, there's not a whole lot else going on. I personally like Eugene better, because I'm more of a city person, but you'll see a lot more "city" style problems (Meth teeth)  in Eugene than you will in Corvallis. I still like Eugene better. I've only spent a few days in either city, though. 

The PAC 12 has a bit of a contrast between the non-California "rival" U's vs the State U's. Most of them contrast in that one is in a large city (ASU, Washington, Oregon), while the "Rival" is in the smaller town (Arizona, Washington State, Oregon State).

If I were you? I would take the trek up north to Seattle and catch a UW game. Seattle alone is worth the drive, and I don't think it's that much further than a trip to Eugene or Corvallis would be. What Seattle has to offer in comparison to Eugene and Corvallis is worth the extra miles. 

I had the same thought initially.  Better stadium, much prettier campus and you are in Seattle.

But between the two, go to Corvallis as tickets should be less expensive, even for Stanford.  Take kickoff times into consideration too.  Oregon State is going to be bad, thus, their game times are unlikely to be adjusted for TV with the 12-day notice for TV.  Their home games, outside the two Friday nights with Oklahoma State and UW, will be Pac12 Network games in all likelihood. 

Single game Oregon State tickets don't go on sale until August 12, or since you have no rooting interest, try going to the visiting team's website now to see if you can get tickets and have them mailed, held at Will Call, or digitally sent if you don't want to wait until August or the secondary market.  Personally, I'd wait for Stubhub or Seatgeek to buy, looking two weeks out.  YMMV.

Edited by dfwabel