Non-Profit Branding Questions

Clintau24

I work for a small non-profit organization out of Jacksonville, Florida - Project: Cold Case. We serve families that have lost loved ones to unsolved murders. We don't investigate but advocate for the families and promote cases online.

I come here to discuss something that continues to come up regarding our branding. The organization name is "Project: Cold Case" with the colon. We always get messages and comments calling us "Cold Case." The full name is visible on the website, the URL, the Facebook page, etc. But it doesn't stop this phenomenon from happening. 

Is this a typical issue for companies that have different punctuation in their name? What can we do to help curb this (without changing the name and branding, obviously)?

PCC-three-words-horizontal-blue.png

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Obviously it's hard to change public opinion.

First, I really don't know why the colon is being used.

I would consider maybe trying to add the initials PCC as part of the identity to help people remember that it is 3 words, not 2.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

Obviously it's hard to change public opinion.

First, I really don't know why the colon is being used.

I would consider maybe trying to add the initials PCC as part of the identity to help people remember that it is 3 words, not 2.

The name was in place long before I came on board. It was originally "PROJECT: Cold Case" but transitioned to a more conventional capitalization spelling over time. Not entirely sure why the colon other than to potentially differentiate from other organizations. 

We do refer to it as PCC off the record and personally, but it might work to add it to the branding somehow.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Delete the colon. That'll resolve any potential confusion. And without "Project" in capitals, the colon really doesn't even work. It doesn't carry the visual of filling in a field on a form with "Cold Case" without it being capitalized.

I'd just go with "Project Cold Case" and use the PCC initialism publicly.

Archived