2019-20 NCAA Hockey Changes

North Dakota Fighting Hawks Unveil New Hockey Jerseys

July 23, 2019 - 01:01 AM

The University of North Dakota unveiled new hockey jerseys on Monday evening, and — aside from a change in suppliers and a few tweaks for consistency’s sake — they aren’t all that different from the Fighting Hawks’ last set. North […]

Read More...

Yikes that is an awful font. I’d rather they just slap the “ND” hawk logo on there... or ideally do block letters on the green/white and the logo on the black uni.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

So, I'm far from the biggest fan of the Fighting Hawks moniker, and I like the logo a whole let better than I like the name. But it speaks volumes to me how reticent much of UND"s athletic programs are to embrace the logo on their uniforms. From a cursory glance, only the football team uses it prominently, and even then it's only one side of the helmet. Other programs only display the logo as if it's a secondary element, on the shoulders or the shorts of a uniform. And only one program, women's basketball, has uniforms that say "Fighting Hawks." The rest just identify as "North Dakota." 

I think that's understandable for most sports. It makes sense not to emblazon the front of a basketball jersey with a logo, for example. It works better on the shorts.

But hockey? To me, that logo seems like it was made to be applied across the chest of a hockey sweater.  I still think one of the biggest failures of this logo creation process was the absence of any sort of secondary logos. Even if UND Hockey were to place the hawk logo on the front, what would it put on the shoulders? 

In general, I think these uniforms look OK, not spectacular. But it really fails when it comes down to retail options. The non-customized retail versions look kind of silly without a number in the middle.

spacer.png

If you only see the green and black jerseys the font is serviceable.  But it's jut awful on the white jersey...I looks like they're going for a double-outline on that jersey and not the others. And makes it look almost blurry on the white jersey.

Other than that, I'm not a fan of the numbers on the front or the lack of hem stripes on the black jersey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

So, I'm far from the biggest fan of the Fighting Hawks moniker, and I like the logo a whole let better than I like the name. But it speaks volumes to me how reticent much of UND"s athletic programs are to embrace the logo on their uniforms. From a cursory glance, only the football team uses it prominently, and even then it's only one side of the helmet. Other programs only display the logo as if it's a secondary element, on the shoulders or the shorts of a uniform. And only one program, women's basketball, has uniforms that say "Fighting Hawks." The rest just identify as "North Dakota." 

I think that's understandable for most sports. It makes sense not to emblazon the front of a basketball jersey with a logo, for example. It works better on the shorts.

But hockey? To me, that logo seems like it was made to be applied across the chest of a hockey sweater.  I still think one of the biggest failures of this logo creation process was the absence of any sort of secondary logos. Even if UND Hockey were to place the hawk logo on the front, what would it put on the shoulders? 

In general, I think these uniforms look OK, not spectacular. But it really fails when it comes down to retail options. The non-customized retail versions look kind of silly without a number in the middle.

And based on when I used to work on campus at Minnesota, lots of people buy North Dakota hockey jerseys.  It's obviously the big game up there.  I am sure a lot of fans are holding onto the Sioux jerseys, but eventually, through attrition, the new name's going to be normalized.  I wonder how many people would be less likely to buy this jersey because of the green / white/ black hole...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

And based on when I used to work on campus at Minnesota, lots of people buy North Dakota hockey jerseys.  It's obviously the big game up there.  I am sure a lot of fans are holding onto the Sioux jerseys, but eventually, through attrition, the new name's going to be normalized.  I wonder how many people would be less likely to buy this jersey because of the green / white/ black hole...

From looking at the retail website (interestingly enough, named SiouxShop.com), I'm guessing it's a pretty big issue. The splash page to that website is a big ad for hockey jersey customization. 

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Other than that, I'm not a fan of the numbers on the front or the lack of hem stripes on the black jersey.

I hated the gigantic hem striping on the previous set...now they've gone the opposite direction and eliminated them completely.  Can't we find a happy medium?  

And I'd rather attend a hockey game completely shirtless rockin' my dad bod as opposed to wear that jersey without a sewn-on number in between NORTH and DAKOTA.  

32 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Arizona State just released a new alternate:

spacer.png

spacer.png

That is really nice...but I'd make one change, and I'm pretty sure we all know what it is because ASU is not the same without it. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Arizona State just released a new alternate:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The yellow between the maroon and white stripes is a terrible design choice. Don't ever do that.

The straight word mark across the front of the sweater is bad. Either arch the letters, run them diagonally, or use a logo instead.

Boring and poorly designed.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:57 PM, Bmac said:

The yellow between the maroon and white stripes is a terrible design choice. Don't ever do that.

The straight word mark across the front of the sweater is bad. Either arch the letters, run them diagonally, or use a logo instead.

Boring and poorly designed.

I’m going to disagree with you, I think the word mark is simple yet elegant. It works for a nice faux back design. 

On 8/22/2019 at 12:13 PM, WSU151 said:

That is really nice...but I'd make one change, and I'm pretty sure we all know what it is because ASU is not the same without it. 

On 8/22/2019 at 9:52 PM, Section30 said:

Slap Sparky on the front and that would be a perfect fauxback

I think he'd look better on the shoulders, but yes, it does feel a tad incomplete without him.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived