Script/Font Design Improvement Resources

MDGP

Lately I’ve been looking to improve my work with custom fonts, especially in regards to script wordmarks. I’m not terrible at it now, but I’m definitely looking for ways to make the process more efficient, as it’s currently a bit brute force for me.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources out there that could help as a learning tool. Paid, free, online, print, etc., really doesn’t matter to me. 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• 2 months later...

A little late, but...

If you’re looking for tips that help you create, develop, and compose different styles, I would suggest grabbing some books and/or looking at work by people who do it at the highest level: Simon Walker, Jessica Hische, House Industries, Jon Contino, many more. Find those people online and ask them who their favorites are to build a bigger sphere of inspiration.

If you’re primarily looking to improve the quality of your analog and/or digital drawing skills, try grabbing some images of different lettering pieces you like and recreate them. You’ll get a better feel for how to place points, pull handles, manipulate curves, etc., and it will force you to focus on the details.

The Astute Graphics VectorScribe plugin is a tool that I find essential for building vector artwork, and especially lettering.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions, either. I’m always willing to help as much as I can.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 10/5/2019 at 2:01 PM, andrewharrington said:

A little late, but...

If you’re looking for tips that help you create, develop, and compose different styles, I would suggest grabbing some books and/or looking at work by people who do it at the highest level: Simon Walker, Jessica Hische, House Industries, Jon Contino, many more. Find those people online and ask them who their favorites are to build a bigger sphere of inspiration.

If you’re primarily looking to improve the quality of your analog and/or digital drawing skills, try grabbing some images of different lettering pieces you like and recreate them. You’ll get a better feel for how to place points, pull handles, manipulate curves, etc., and it will force you to focus on the details.

The Astute Graphics VectorScribe plugin is a tool that I find essential for building vector artwork, and especially lettering.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions, either. I’m always willing to help as much as I can.

Didn't see this until now, thanks a bunch for the tips! It's funny, I actually learned most of my design skills by tracing logos, but for whatever reason I never thought of doing that with fonts and lettering.

I also tried out VectorScribe, and it is absolutely fantastic! It's definitely made designing more efficient, and helped with a few of my weaknesses.

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it a lot!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived