2020 MLB All-Star Game Logo Unveiled in Los Angeles

2 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Honestly, I find the Dodgers to be a damn near perfect organization. They have an absolutely charming history (Chavez Ravine issues aside), a wonderful ballpark that has a history that’s nearly unmatched, they’re just about ALWAYS competitive, and objectively have a top 3 on field look in all of baseball. I’ve grown to respect the Dodgers a LOT in the past few years, and it’s sort of supplanted some of the dislike I used to have for them (the fact that the San Francisco Giants wouldn’t even exist without them and watching them lose back to back World Series helped though, too). 

So yeah, :censored: the Dodgers. But damn if they aren’t exactly what you would want objectively from a sports franchise. 

The TV deal (though worth a lot of money) is probably the only thing wrong with the Dodgers. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

31 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The TV deal (though worth a lot of money) is probably the only thing wrong with the Dodgers. 

The compounding factor is that Time Warner set the price too high after the fight over the Laker channel, got bought by Charter, and now Charter has no business need to negotiate as they can claim the whole thing as a tax loss.  It's something that Manfred really needs to step in to take care of.

VmWIn6B.png

I don't hate the logo but this is the second year in a row where the ASG logo markets the city "brand" more than the team "brand." 

The Los Angeles baseball team are the Dodgers, not the Hollywood Stars... and the Cleveland baseball team are the Indians, not the Rock & Roll Stars.

I get why they went that route for Cleveland this year but I don't like this trend going forward. I'd rather the ASG logo look more like the visual aesthetics of the team than the host city. 

Will this be the first ASG logo with a corporate sponsor incorporated into a logo?

Not a single mention of what the odd red and orange balls are at the bottom of the logo? Obviously MasterCard, right? Unless I'm clearly mistaken, they added those in pretty quietly. 

I for sure thought they would have gone with a sunset palm tree theme in some regard.

Edit: apparently I haven't been around to see the other prior years unveilings. They all include the master card logo, and then are mysteriously taken off later on. It just seems off that these LA ASG logos are centered and balance other elements with the master card logo, as if it's supposed to always be there. Color me surprised. 

Beach, trees, sunset would've been a perfect unique side patch for a cap.  HOLLYWOOD sign anyone? They literally used a Hollywood star for a all star game and called it. I like their scoreboard in the design. But sunset and palm trees man. Odd thing to not use honestly. 

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't hate the logo but this is the second year in a row where the ASG logo markets the city "brand" more than the team "brand." 

The Los Angeles baseball team are the Dodgers, not the Hollywood Stars... and the Cleveland baseball team are the Indians, not the Rock & Roll Stars.

I get why they went that route for Cleveland this year but I don't like this trend going forward. I'd rather the ASG logo look more like the visual aesthetics of the team than the host city. 

I feel the opposite way: when a city hosts an all-star game, the game's branding should focus on the city, not the team, since the whole city gets involved. When Charlotte hosted the NBA All-Star Game this year, they closed off several blocks for the Fan Fest, and the whole city gets money from hotels, outside media, etc. I've feel like the All-Star logo should focus on that collaboration between city and team, and utilize the city's history and identity for something unique.

As for the actual logo, it'd look better flat, but there's something about the over-the-top glitz and unnecessary gold that makes it have somewhat of an old-school charm for me. It feels perfectly Hollywood, even if it could've been done better. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

24 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I feel the opposite way: when a city hosts an all-star game, the game's branding should focus on the city, not the team, since the whole city gets involved. When Charlotte hosted the NBA All-Star Game this year, they closed off several blocks for the Fan Fest, and the whole city gets money from hotels, outside media, etc. I've feel like the All-Star logo should focus on that collaboration between city and team, and utilize the city's history and identity for something unique.

Maybe I'd like that more if there was a middle ground between team and city like the Nationals last year who had a nation's capital theme but, obviously, that's the same theme that the team has.

Hollywood Stars just seems way too far away from what the Dodgers are/look like. 

Or maybe they could do a Hollywood theme yet still have it look like the Dodgers colors and fonts etc? It's like I look at this logo as a true baseball fan and I don't see the Dodgers, I see stars and shiny gold. If it didn't have the Dodger logo you might not even know they were the host team? The 2017 logo for example looked very close to the Marlins aesthetics of the time yet still seemed to fit the city.  

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Maybe I'd like that more if there was a middle ground between team and city like the Nationals last year who had a nation's capital theme but, obviously, that's the same theme that the team has.

Hollywood Stars just seems way too far away from what the Dodgers are/look like. 

Or maybe they could do a Hollywood theme yet still have it look like the Dodgers colors and fonts etc? It's like I look at this logo as a true baseball fan and I don't see the Dodgers, I see stars and shiny gold. If it didn't have the Dodger logo you might not even know they were the host team? The 2017 logo for example looked very close to the Marlins aesthetics of the time yet still seemed to fit the city.  

That's because the Marlins' aesthetic fit the city. The Dodgers shouldn't be the focus of this logo, the city of Los Angeles should. I think they did an excellent job portraying that, even if the side they chose to portray was the glitz and glamour of the '60s. Also, the Dodgers are featured in the logo, with the hexagonal shape in behind the star being the iconic scoreboard shape of Dodger Stadium. Nobody's claiming that the host team is the "Hollywood Stars", they look at this logo, and see that LA is hosting the All-Star Game. That's what this logo is supposed to say, not that the Dodgers are hosting it. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, MattMill said:

Not a single mention of what the odd red and orange balls are at the bottom of the logo? Obviously MasterCard, right? Unless I'm clearly mistaken, they added those in pretty quietly. 

That’s the official MasterCard logo; they removed the letters last year. 

1c32b518-979e-499b-9ea1-3e1ee455bdfb-mas

4 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

That's because the Marlins' aesthetic fit the city. The Dodgers shouldn't be the focus of this logo, the city of Los Angeles should. I think they did an excellent job portraying that, even if the side they chose to portray was the glitz and glamour of the '60s. Also, the Dodgers are featured in the logo, with the hexagonal shape in behind the star being the iconic scoreboard shape of Dodger Stadium. Nobody's claiming that the host team is the "Hollywood Stars", they look at this logo, and see that LA is hosting the All-Star Game. That's what this logo is supposed to say, not that the Dodgers are hosting it. 

I get it what you're saying and I get why you like the logo but I looked at that graphic that shows all the All Star Game logos over the years and the majority of the ones in the last 20-30 years or so (once the logo stopped being just the words All Star Game) happened to look more like the team and/or ballpark's design elements than things in the city that aren't related to the team name. I just prefer that I guess. 

3 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

the red star looks like the one of stars in Chicago's flag

I'm shocked that we don't have an explanation as to why they went with a 6 point star over a 5 point one. It seems like it would have a purpose considering the 5 point star is so heavily used for this event. Why suddenly go with a different star especially one that reminds so many people of an entirely different state. 

Eh. The 3D logo - which I initially saw - is WAY too busy. But I admit the flat logo is better. 
The font style, is very similar to the logo just used 2 years ago in Miami's ASG.

A mockup I saw months ago - not sure who created it - also used the "scoreboard" backdrop, but obviously a different font. A few little tweaks, changes could be in order, but over all, I personally like it better than the one that now official.
Thats just me.

spacer.png

º º º º

gYFfCIp.pngPtJSay1.png

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 4:36 PM, the admiral said:

Dodger Stadium hasn't gotten everything right in its renovations; they're as guilty as anyone of whittling foul ground down to nothing in pursuit of more and more expensive seats, and it doesn't play as a pitcher's park quite the way it used to. 

Agree.  The worst part is that they destroyed the original dugouts, one of the most important parts of the ballpark.  I understand why they did it, but it wouldn’t have happened on my watch.

Archived