Sports logo, uniform, & stadium inaccuracies in Movies & TV Shows

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

County Stadium was actually a really good stand-in for Cleveland Municipal. Both were charming old dumps whose time was coming to an end, and the upper decks looked similar.

Camden Yards... not so much.

It was definitely a case of using what you had available for both and the only bad thing, if you can call it that, is that the newer parks go out of their way to stand out from each other. The tarps for the retired numbers do annoy me when I watch Major League II, even now. But at least it wasn't Major League III. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/5/2019 at 2:54 PM, Gothamite said:

What a crime.  Those absolutely deserve to have been enshrined in cinematic history.

Honestly, most younger viewers only know the Naked Gun movies for scenes of OJ Simpson being subjected to cartoon violence and a few memes. 

On 8/5/2019 at 2:54 PM, Gothamite said:

There was also an ad for WTMJ Radio and WVTV Channel 18 on the press boxes above home plate, since those were the Brewers' broadcasters at the time.  The radio ad even features a Brewers logo, you can juuuust about see it in this screenshot!

0_oLu01fx6o8DC2Tah..0.png

And the ads are present for the entire film, from the first scene where Jake runs the bases on an imaginary home run through the Big Game at the end. 

ti114908.jpg

It wasn't that they "didn't think" about removing them.  I worked on Major League in the prop department, and even at my extremely low level there was a discussion about those ads.  I'm pretty sure that it's a direct quote from the production designer that most people watching the movie wouldn't know or care, and the only people who would know or care were also knew that the interior shots of County Stadium didn't match the helicopter exteriors of Municipal Stadium. 

Personally, I think it might have had more to do with not wanting to spend the money on that level of set dressing; for his own part, Ward often framed his shots to put those ads just out of frame.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

For Major League, they actually shot the season in reverse to take advantage of the excitement in Milwaukee. 

The first days scheduled were the climactic game, where they needed a full stadium.  Everyone in town was excited, and willing to come out and sit in the stadium all night for a chance to be in a movie.  As the summer wore on, the production needed to bring in fewer and fewer extras.

You worked on the prop department for that movie? Sweet! 

On 8/5/2019 at 3:05 PM, Bucfan56 said:

I've mentioned this here before, but I got (what I have to assume was) a team issued Giants BP jersey from that era. I had to get rid of it though because I'm almost 100% sure it was Darryl Hamilton's jersey 😯

Just be happy it wasn't a Mel Hall jersey. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮 I'm surprised nobody from Japan or the Bay Area has come forward about being in "relationships" with him.

5 hours ago, Green27 said:

I'm pretty sure the 1996 movie The Fan got it right when doing the Giants. Also, it's a weirdly good movie I loved as a kid.

They shot some material at Candlestick Park, but also some shots at Angel Stadium (enclosed, AFAIK), Dodger Stadium, and Coors Field. Given the amount of material shot in SF (i.e., where they needed local imagery), I'm inclined to believe that plenty of the photography happened in Greater Los Angeles.

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, it was my second job in the business.  My first was a little number called Blind Fury (Rutger Hauer, RIP) that we shot in Houston.  After we wrapped, one of the prop assistants on Blind Fury was going to Milwaukee for Major League, and since they were shooting in my hometown I was able to talk my way on to the crew.

I didn’t do the whole film, just all the County Stadium stuff, when they needed some extra help.  Was a real blast. 

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It was definitely a case of using what you had available for both and the only bad thing, if you can call it that, is that the newer parks go out of their way to stand out from each other. The tarps for the retired numbers do annoy me when I watch Major League II, even now. But at least it wasn't Major League III. 

We don't talk about that one. 

Speaking of major league, check out the demographics of the fans. A good 60-70% women and kids. It makes sense trying to get any type of stand ins available. The reality is 60-70% men attend games, so there are elements of these movies where the full immersion factor is not quite there. 

On 8/7/2019 at 12:25 AM, Sykotyk said:

We don't talk about that one. 

I quite enjoyed Major League 3. The only thing that got annoying was Ted McGinley. I think when that came out I was on a Minor League baseball kick and loved going the Bowie Baysox. I am also a fan of Scott Bakula. 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:41 PM, disman00911 said:

Here are some basketball ones:  There were made-for-TV movies about Michael Jordan (MJ: an American Hero in 1999) and Dennis Rodman (Bad as I Wanna Be in 1998) in the late 1990s.  Due to not getting rights to use NBA licenses (logos, uniforms, etc), the actors had to wear generic-looking uniforms in both films. The Jordan movie is on YouTube.  Go to 1:13:16 to see the Bulls uniforms in the movie.  However, the Rodman movie is not.

512Z6ZDJ29L._SY300_QL70_.jpg

p20248_i_h12_ab.jpg?d=270x360&q=60

Here's the ABC promo (plus a small clip of the Spurs "logo" at 0:08)

I have to be honest. I knew about the Dennis Rodman movie, but never watched it. I think I read a pretty unfavorable review that mentioned the Larry Bird actor looking more like Zan Tabak. The MJ is news to me. I don't ever remember a TV movie being made about him during that time, but it looks laughably bad.

On 8/6/2019 at 5:01 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Honestly, most younger viewers only know the Naked Gun movies for scenes of OJ Simpson being subjected to cartoon violence and a few memes. 

Just be happy it wasn't a Mel Hall jersey. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮 I'm surprised nobody from Japan or the Bay Area has come forward about being in "relationships" with him.

They shot some material at Candlestick Park, but also some shots at Angel Stadium (enclosed, AFAIK), Dodger Stadium, and Coors Field. Given the amount of material shot in SF (i.e., where they needed local imagery), I'm inclined to believe that plenty of the photography happened in Greater Los Angeles.

I read somewhere years ago that the Murph stood in for the stick in a lot of the baseball scenes in the fan.

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

this scene in Ace Ventura is supposed to be in the Dolphins stadium offices. it is not

jim_carrey-courtney-cox-ace_ventura_coxc

You mean to tell me they didn't pay a location fee to displace team executives to get access to an office that could otherwise be shot literally anywhere in the world? I don't know what to believe anymore.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:59 PM, Cosmic said:

You mean to tell me they didn't pay a location fee to displace team executives to get access to an office that could otherwise be shot literally anywhere in the world? I don't know what to believe anymore.

i know right

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 8/22/2019 at 1:48 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

this scene in Ace Ventura is supposed to be in the Dolphins stadium offices. it is not

jim_carrey-courtney-cox-ace_ventura_coxc

In the film Like Mike, Lil Bow Wow plays for a team called the Los Angeles Knights. Here’s the catch....THEY DON’T EVEN EXIST! 

XM4KeeA.png

Archived