Sports logo, uniform, & stadium inaccuracies in Movies & TV Shows

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I certainly expect better than gay panic. 

The Crying Game was popular at the time, so I guess making a comedic version of it was acceptable? Of course, filtering it through lowbrow and clunky execution, it comes off as a homophobic/transphobic mess. 

Looking at a lot of '80s and '90s comedies/stand-up, you find a f--kton of casual homophobia and transphobia. But that's not the point of the thread, is it?

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Crying Game was popular at the time, so I guess making a comedic version of it was acceptable? Of course, filtering it through lowbrow and clunky execution, it comes off as a homophobic/transphobic mess. 

Looking at a lot of '80s and '90s comedies/stand-up, you find a f--kton of casual homophobia and transphobia. But that's not the point of the thread, is it?

wait, there's a point to the thread?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It was definitely a riff on The Crying Game.  Pretty sure they played the title song while Ace gags and fawns all over himself. 

But even back then, “better to suck on a used toilet plunger than kiss someone who was born a man” was several steps too far. This wasn’t Clue with its “just kidding, no way am I gay!” throwaway line, or Police Academy with its ultimately gentle gay bar jokes, or even Revenge of the Nerds with its mincing-but-sympathetic stereotype. This was just... mean-spirited and wrong. Even at the time.

31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It was definitely a riff on The Crying Game.  Pretty sure they played the title song while Ace gags and fawns all over himself. 

Boy George probably needed the money to pay off some of his outfits. This was before he developed a knack for torturing unsuspecting men, which he then lost along with a crapload of weight.

rsz_180209_tv_boy_george_0581.jpg

The beard suits him.

But even back then, “better to suck on a used toilet plunger than kiss someone who was born a man” was several steps too far. This wasn’t Clue with its “just kidding, no way am I gay!” throwaway line, or Police Academy with its ultimately gentle gay bar jokes, or even Revenge of the Nerds with its mincing-but-sympathetic stereotype. This was just... mean-spirited and wrong. Even at the time.

Definitely. It was a time where transgender individuals were even further away from pop culture's radar than gay or lesbian people, where mocking them outright or depicting them as demented was common. Of course, the character of Ray Finkle isn't trans in the movie per se (stolen identity of a woman), but there's lines and moments that go way too far. 

Of course, Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge is my favorite slasher movie, because of how the movie is basically a depiction of gay teen's internalized homophobia (trust me, I've been there). 

Speaking of inaccuracies:

On 7/29/2019 at 5:54 PM, Wade Heidt said:

Boston Bruins logo on centre ice and banners at Vancouver's Pacific Coliseum.  For the TV show A Million Little Things.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/boston-bruins-logo-ice-pacific-coliseum-canucks

spacer.png

Vancouver has doubled for so many cities over the years. I'd be surprised if its the first time that the Pacific Coliseum has stood in for another NHL rink.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:06 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Vancouver has doubled for so many cities over the years. I'd be surprised if its the first time that the Pacific Coliseum has stood in for another NHL rink.

The Pacific Coliseum's close next door neighbour, the PNE Agrodome, portayed the Olympic arena in Lake Placid in the movie Miracle:

spacer.png

This was not the only time the PNE Agrodome was used to portay the Americans beating the Soviets.  The PNE Agrodome was the boxing arena in the Soviet Union for Rocky IV.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/from-the-archives-rocky-4-1.3813049

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2019 at 4:16 PM, Gothamite said:

I remember one summer I was in White Rock & later I watched some old episodes os Psych--and I recognized some buildings near the beach and  few other places.

Arrow often has night shots in the alleys--maybe even the same alley in the video.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived