LA Clippers Could Change Name, Logo for Arena Move

LA Clippers Could Change Name, Logo for Arena Move

July 30, 2019 - 18:21 PM

According to team owner Steve Ballmer there’s a chance the Los Angeles Clippers never play a game in their brand new arena … because there’s a chance he could change their name. Yes, with the team set to move into […]

Read More...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I doubt the Clippers change their name, and if they did I would be mildly disappointed. It's a unique identity, and even if it's more appropriate for San Diego, at least it's not egregiously out of place for their current city unlike the Lakers and Jazz.

That being said, the logo and identity package really do need to change. It was bad when it was created and it's bad today. Hopefully this could be a good excuse for them to do something new.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

They could've stuck with the nautical theme from the San Diego days, but they chose to be Lakers 2.0 instead after their move to LA. There's a lot of creativity that can be made with the Clippers name... I don't think they should shy away from it.

30 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

They could've stuck with the nautical theme from the San Diego days, but they chose to be Lakers 2.0 instead after their move to LA. There's a lot of creativity that can be made with the Clippers name... I don't think they should shy away from it.

They actually adopted the "Lakers 2.0" identity before the LA Move.

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

29 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

They actually adopted the "Lakers 2.0" identity before the LA Move.

spacer.png

They sure did! And it was still better than what they have right now.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

Los-Angeles-Clippers-Logo-history.jpg

I'm partial to the 1982-2015 style logo. That's what I grew up on and first became a fan of the Clippers under (1989). I don't want a color change back to the San Diego blue and orange, the RWB serves them well ... just tone down the black or get rid of it.

And, I am BIG HELL NO on a name change. They're the Clippers and always should be the Clippers.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

It'd be a shame to lose "Clippers" for the uniqueness alone. Its weaknesses are that hardly anyone knows what the name is referring to and a history devoid of success. So all they need is a rebrand centered around sailboats and to acquire two of the best players in the league. Shouldn't be too hard!

I was hoping that the arena rendering with the CLA logo died on the first draft. Seems like it might.

spacer.png

PJU85JF.png

They should definitely move towards a more unique identity. A return to blue and orange would be an immense help in this case, as would actually branding around their name, the Clippers, not the Los Angeles White Balls. Anything to get rid of the garbage "box LAC" logo.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Yes, the Clippers name has history. But that history is a pop culture punchline. Not even the Mets, let alone the Jets, White Sox, or Angels can match the Clippers in the amount of jokes they've received simply for not being the other team in town. I don't blame them for considering a change. Especially with the Nets having more success as a brand than on the court.

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That name is a decided downgrade.  Generic. 

I'd have to agree. Stars could work in baseball. But when you're directly competing with THE Hollywood team, Stars would be a lateral move at best.

I think that social media and the public would make a laughingstock out of the Clippers if they ever changed their name. They would receive even more heat for the decision if they still are unable to win. The name is iconic, save yourselves from the humiliation and backlash. Just change the logo.

Archived