LA Clippers Could Change Name, Logo for Arena Move

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the circular logo by itself would work fine, it’s kinda grown on me. It would be even better if the black was replaced with royal blue, and the blue was replaced with powder blue.

Excellent!

18 hours ago, kimball said:

Los-Angeles-Clippers-Logo-history.jpg

I'm partial to the 1982-2015 style logo. That's what I grew up on and first became a fan of the Clippers under (1989). I don't want a color change back to the San Diego blue and orange, the RWB serves them well ... just tone down the black or get rid of it.

And, I am BIG HELL NO on a name change. They're the Clippers and always should be the Clippers.

I've always liked the 1978-82 logo.  The simple forms are very 70s, but I believe it provides a good base for an identity that would help differentiate them from the Lakers.

. . , and I want to see the nautical alphabet flags make a return/maintain a prominent role, even if only to spelling out L-A-C instead of C-L-I-P-P-E-R-S.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

I've always liked the 1978-82 logo.  The simple forms are very 70s, but I believe it provides a good base for an identity that would help differentiate them from the Lakers.

. . , and I want to see the nautical alphabet flags make a return/maintain a prominent role, even if only to spelling out L-A-C instead of C-L-I-P-P-E-R-S.

*cough cough* 😎

5 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

I saw several of those images when I searched for a picture of the flags (but not the updated logo).  I was tempted to post one of them, but didn't want to step on your toes.

For the record, you have my vote.  👍

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If the Clips were to go with a nautical theme I would prefer a modern take with the use of the nautical flags than a traditional interpretation the mast, anchor, etc. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

22 hours ago, Oso said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

All of us probably already know this...so applogies in advance... Right now they're the LA Clippers. They changed it a few years ago. It'll be interesting if they go back to using the formal "Los Angeles". 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/30/2019 at 1:39 PM, Maroon said:

It's a unique identity, and even if it's more appropriate for San Diego, at least it's not egregiously out of place for their current city unlike the Lakers and Jazz.

Actually it is pretty "out of place". 

Clipper ships were fast three-masted sailing ships which were in use generally in the early to mid-1800s.  Decline in the use of clipper ships started with the economic slump following the Panic of 1857 and continued with the gradual introduction of the steamship, and the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869.

Clipper ships were frequent visitors to California... but not to Los Angeles.  San Diego and in particular San Francisco were the destinations of clipper ships, due to (1) their natural harbors and (2) being commercial and military points of destination.  

Los Angeles had no such natural port; the closest thing to it was the slight bay at San Pedro, which was only a shallow mudflat, too soft to even support a wharf.  Sailing ships at that time either had to be anchored off-shore and their cargo ferried to shore in smaller boats-- or they had to be beached.  Neither was an attractive prospect, so commercial sailing ships rarely called on Los Angeles. 

The Port of Los Angeles, with its wharves, docks and a man-made breakwater, didn't come into being until the early 20th century, well after clipper ships had been supplanted by steamships. 

It is what it is.

I think cleaning up their brand (and winning) would make Clippers cool.

I'd say either do a refined version of the nautical flag San Diego era look OR just clean up their current look. Below is what I did back in 2015 when the new look first was released. Something moving more toward that.   

Clippers2015.jpg

25 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Actually it is pretty "out of place". 

Clipper ships were fast three-masted sailing ships which were in use generally in the early to mid-1800s.  Decline in the use of clipper ship s started with the economic slump following the Panic of 1857 and continued with the gradual introduction of the steamship, and the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869.

Clipper ships were frequent visitors to California... but not to Los Angeles.  San Diego and in particular San Francisco were the destinations of clipper ships, due to (1) their natural harbors and (2) being commercial and military points of destination.  

Los Angeles had no such natural port; the closest thing to it was the slight bay at San Pedro, which was only a shallow mudflat, too soft to even support a wharf.  Sailing ships at that time either had to be anchored off-shore and their cargo ferried to shore in smaller boats-- or they had to be beached.  Neither was an attractive prospect, so commercial sailing ships rarely called on Los Angeles. 

The Port of Los Angeles, with its wharves, docks and a man-made breakwater, didn't come into being until the early 20th century, well after clipper ships had been supplanted by steamships. 

My point was not that clipper ships were or were not docked at LA. I had no idea one way or the other, but I do appreciate the history lesson.

My point was more that having a team named after a boat just kinda works anywhere, especially if you're a coastal state. Even if clipper ships aren't exactly accurate to LA, nobody scratches their head and wonders why the team is named after a boat. On the other hand, Los Angeles only has something like two lakes that aren't just sag ponds, while "Jazz" and "Utah" aren't exactly closely tied together, although I did find an article online entitled "A Night Out at The Rabbithole: A Taste of Salt Lake’s Flourishing Jazz Scene" so I guess that's a thing.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

Honestly, their former city jersey would make a great template for a primary look. I love the old San Diego colors, but I think red, white, and blue would also translate to this pretty well. I would just swap out the waistband logo to something nautical to complement the sail design on the shorts and I think they'd have a winner. Maybe re-work the font for the wordmark too.

spacer.png

Archived