LA Clippers Could Change Name, Logo for Arena Move

I hope that first and foremost, they change their colors. RWB is overused, and they have something unique and identifiable right there. The orange/blue City jerseys were excellent, and they just need a few improvements, like changing the wordmark to be a bit more fitting, and getting rid of the LAC logo.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Actually it is pretty "out of place". 

Clipper ships were fast three-masted sailing ships which were in use generally in the early to mid-1800s.  Decline in the use of clipper ships started with the economic slump following the Panic of 1857 and continued with the gradual introduction of the steamship, and the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869.

Clipper ships were frequent visitors to California... but not to Los Angeles.  San Diego and in particular San Francisco were the destinations of clipper ships, due to (1) their natural harbors and (2) being commercial and military points of destination.  

Los Angeles had no such natural port; the closest thing to it was the slight bay at San Pedro, which was only a shallow mudflat, too soft to even support a wharf.  Sailing ships at that time either had to be anchored off-shore and their cargo ferried to shore in smaller boats-- or they had to be beached.  Neither was an attractive prospect, so commercial sailing ships rarely called on Los Angeles. 

The Port of Los Angeles, with its wharves, docks and a man-made breakwater, didn't come into being until the early 20th century, well after clipper ships had been supplanted by steamships. 

550096-youtube_0.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I hope that first and foremost, they change their colors. RWB is overused, and they have something unique and identifiable right there. The orange/blue City jerseys were excellent, and they just need a few improvements, like changing the wordmark to be a bit more fitting, and getting rid of the LAC logo.

I don’t ... the LA Clippers have always been RWB. They own it. The blue ties into the Dodgers, Galaxy and Rams. The red ties into the Angels. Sure power blue would tie in with the Chargers, but I’d want to disassociated myself from them because I wouldn’t want to be seen as just a San Diego team playing in LA.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I say burn it all to the ground. The clippers might be the biggest joke franchise of all the major North American teams. Their history and their old owner. Both the biggest punchline ever in sports. It's time to start fresh. Even if that means we must sacrifice a neat name. It should have been done after the forced selling. 

1 hour ago, kimball said:

I don’t ... the LA Clippers have always been RWB. They own it. The blue ties into the Dodgers, Galaxy and Rams. The red ties into the Angels. Sure power blue would tie in with the Chargers, but I’d want to disassociated myself from them because I wouldn’t want to be seen as just a San Diego team playing in LA.

What? The LA Clippers own Red, White, and Blue? You can't own a color if you're not even the first team in your sport to use it, much less the rest of the Big 4! By my count, at least five teams used RWB before the Clippers adopted the RWB logo in SD, though two of them don't use RWB anymore. The 76ers, Bullets/Wizards, and Pistons (despite a mishap in the 90s) all still use it, while the Nets and Kings also used RWB before the Clippers changed. However, one color scheme that is unique to the Clippers is powder blue and orange, which has only been used by them in the NBA. (The Bullets used navy and orange for a bit in Baltimore.) This is a chance for the Clippers to break off from their past of failure, and create a brand new image for themselves. 

(By my count, there were 27 other teams using RWB when the Clippers switched in the Big 4, with most coming from the MLB.)

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, kimball said:

the LA Clippers have always been RWB. They own it. The blue ties into the Dodgers, Galaxy and Rams. The red ties into the Angels.

No, they really don’t.

And why on earth would a professional team want to be viewed as a patchwork assemblage of the colors of other, better, more popular teams in town?

I say keep the name and just come up with a good nautical identity.  I'd also change the colors to powder blue and orange, or maybe even powder blue, royal and orange.  Let's face it...any name change would probably end up being  gaudy and stupid anyway.

9 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Powder blue, white, and red could work. I'm unsure about orange.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No, they really don’t.

And why on earth would a professional team want to be viewed as a patchwork assemblage of the colors of other, better, more popular teams in town?

Okay, that's a fair assessment, I guess really I just see no need for a drastic change outside of the logo. Keep the name and colors. 

kimball banner.png

6 hours ago, leopard88 said:

spacer.png

I know we’re fully in the era of NBA identities double dipping, but the Kings don’t get to claim two color schemes. They’ve been purple for the past 25 years, far longer than they ever used powder blue (which they only used on the road anyway). I’m also in favor of the Clippers in powder blue and red. It’s a nice tribute to the Stars, and their powder blue alternates were great, even if it had sleeves 

spacer.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

On 7/30/2019 at 10:06 PM, guest23 said:

There's a perfect identity that fills middle ground for preserving the nostalgia clippers name and while also rebranding the name as an homage to ballmer...

spacer.png

It looks like you're re-branding a franchise.

Would you like help?

Predictions:

• their colors will be black and silver with hints of gold, because screw the Lakers; also original ideas and creative integrity are dead
  • their team name will be directly influenced by their stadium sponsor (ie:  Synnex Arena, home of the Los Angeles Suppliers)
  • they will look like the Brooklyn Nets mated with the 00's Pittsburgh Penguins and the abortion fell into a screen printing machine
  • it will be better than the current look
  • it will still suck
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 hours ago, CS85 said:

Predictions:

• their colors will be black and silver with hints of gold, because screw the Lakers; also original ideas and creative integrity are dead
  • their team name will be directly influenced by their stadium sponsor (ie:  Synnex Arena, home of the Los Angeles Suppliers)
  • they will look like the Brooklyn Nets mated with the 00's Pittsburgh Penguins and the abortion fell into a screen printing machine
  • it will be better than the current look
  • it will still suck

Miss Cleo I didn't know you patrolled these boards??

160726-miss-cleo-youree-harris-mdl_7ec52

shado_logo.gif

10 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is "Clippers" supposed to be in reference too? 

Ocean Waves or something? 

If so, then the logo should reflect that.  

A Clipper is a type of ship

350px-Portrait_of_an_American_Clipper_Sh

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived