LA Clippers Could Change Name, Logo for Arena Move

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

They seriously need a new arena?  Can't they play at the Honda Center?  Own OC instead of being the little brother in LA.

Why would they stop paying rent in Los Angeles just to pay rent in Anaheim when they can build something and not pay rent at all?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Why would they stop paying rent in Los Angeles just to pay rent in Anaheim when they can build something and not pay rent at all?

While they technically do pay rent at the Staples Centre? Their lease is such that they print money merely by existing and filling dates. That was true back when they were awful. I can only imagine how well off they are now that they're actually good and drawing larger crowds. 

So the decision to leaves Staples isn't born of a financial desire. At least not a pressing one. It's more a prestige thing. One they can afford to indulge in thanks to the above-mentioned factors.  

49 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

While they technically do pay rent at the Staples Centre? Their lease is such that they print money merely by existing and filling dates. That was true back when they were awful. I can only imagine how well off they are now that they're actually good and drawing larger crowds. 

So the decision to leaves Staples isn't born of a financial desire. At least not a pressing one. It's more a prestige thing. One they can afford to indulge in thanks to the above-mentioned factors.  

They also get a smaller cut of concessions, luxury box sales (like when a box is sold for every event that happens at Staples), sponsorships, parking, etc... Add in naming rights fees for the new arena, it's a financial decision for the most part.

1 hour ago, Weekend said:

They also get a smaller cut of concessions, luxury box sales (like when a box is sold for every event that happens at Staples), sponsorships, parking, etc... Add in naming rights fees for the new arena, it's a financial decision for the most part.

Yeah, but they still made/make out incredibly well thanks to their Staples Centre lease. Which kept the team very profitable even when they were an afterthought. 

Striking out on their own is risky because if all things are equal? LA will always be the Lakers' town. The Clippers only have an advantage over the Lakers when they're good and the Lakers are awful. Which isn't a state of affairs you can assume will always be the case. 

So sure, they'll get all the benefits of a new stadium to themselves but what happens when they start to suck again? Or they suck and the Lakers get good again? Are the Los Angeles Clippers a strong enough brand to anchor a modern stadium on their own when they're the second-favourite team in town? 

Maybe, but it'll take some breaks to get to that point. 

I think the Clippers could successfully do what the Angels and Ducks did and market themselves as an Orange County team (tying back into the case for powder blue and orange), which a suburban stadium could help with (since they're moving to suburban Inglewood, they may already be thinking that).

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I think the Clippers could successfully do what the Angels and Ducks did and market themselves as an Orange County team (tying back into the case for powder blue and orange), which a suburban stadium could help with (since they're moving to suburban Inglewood, they may already be thinking that).

Aren’t the Chargers essentially doing the same? I also think being right there by the new football stadium will help a lot. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I may be way off re: the LA area and suburban identity but as I understand it? Inglewood is more or less considered "part" of LA culturally and geographically, if not politically. It's Anaheim/Orange County where you find the LA/suburbs cultural divide. 

1 hour ago, kimball said:

Aren’t the Chargers essentially doing the same? I also think being right there by the new football stadium will help a lot. 

The Rams and Chargers will be playing in the same stadium. I doubt either team will carve out a separate geographic "niche."

3 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

The Angels are planning to move back to LA County, albeit Long Beach and not LA proper.

26 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Rams and Chargers will be playing in the same stadium. I doubt either team will carve out a separate geographic "niche."

Eh, I don’t know ... sure both teams will market in LA and OC, but their headquarters and practice facility is in Costa Mesa. Plus, with OC and SD Counties neighboring each other they’d be stupid not too considering there is a fan base there that doesn’t care if Los Angeles or San Diego is in front the team nickname.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

42 minutes ago, kimball said:

Plus, with OC and SD Counties neighboring each other they’d be stupid not too considering there is a fan base there that doesn’t care if Los Angeles or San Diego is in front the team nickname.

You think there’s any meaningful number of fans in San Diego who don’t care that they moved to  LA?

1 hour ago, kimball said:

Eh, I don’t know ... sure both teams will market in LA and OC, but their headquarters and practice facility is in Costa Mesa. Plus, with OC and SD Counties neighboring each other they’d be stupid not too considering there is a fan base there that doesn’t care if Los Angeles or San Diego is in front the team nickname.

The San Diego bridge is burnt. The only way San Diego fans will ever embrace the Chargers in large numbers again is if Spanos sells the team and the new owner moves them back. 

Also as I understand it? Costa Mesa is practically a non-entity. It's not Anaheim, which has an identity of its own. It's just suburbia. 

Besides. Team HQ location doesn't mean as much as some think it does. No one cares where the team offices are located. Its playing location that matters. If the Chargers want to be the OC team? They can get a stadium in OC. Of course they won't, because they only moved to LA because they were promised a spot in the Inglewood stadium. 

7 hours ago, kimball said:

the headquarters will not be in OC much longer.

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Chargers couldn’t have built their stadium without Stan’s pocketbook, though.  

that's not what i'm talking about, i'm talking about owning OC. these 3 years should have been spent solidifying the OC fanbase instead of alienating San Diego and fighting for LA.

Archived