SportsLogos.Net News

LA Clippers Could Change Name, Logo for Arena Move

16 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The San Diego bridge is burnt. The only way San Diego fans will ever embrace the Chargers in large numbers again is if Spanos sells the team and the new owner moves them back. 

Also as I understand it? Costa Mesa is practically a non-entity. It's not Anaheim, which has an identity of its own. It's just suburbia. 

Besides. Team HQ location doesn't mean as much as some think it does. No one cares where the team offices are located. Its playing location that matters. If the Chargers want to be the OC team? They can get a stadium in OC. Of course they won't, because they only moved to LA because they were promised a spot in the Inglewood stadium. 

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

You think there’s any meaningful number of fans in San Diego who don’t care that they moved to  LA?

Chargers have retained a decent portion of San Diego fans, certainly more than a negligible number.

2 minutes ago, colortv said:

Chargers have retained a decent portion of San Diego fans, certainly more than a negligible number.

Have they? Last I heard the Rams outdrew the Charges when it came to NFL ratings in San Diego. 

33 minutes ago, axiom20xx said:

that's not what i'm talking about, i'm talking about owning OC. these 3 years should have been spent solidifying the OC fanbase instead of alienating San Diego and fighting for LA.

You cannot "own" OC when you play in Carson and have plans to move into a stadium in Inglewood. 

How is this new arena going to affect the Forum and all the money that went into rehabbing a 50-year-old building?

If not a new name, new colours is a must. Blue and/or red is in such high usage that it feels diluted. 15 teams with blue, 13 with red, 6 team with both(exluding Cavs morphing navy into black). Orange, teal or green would be great, purple is a no-go.  
Clippers is a cool name, it just doesnt feel home in Los Angeles, at least to me. LA Stars feels more appropriate. 
I actually liked the Clippers GTA: San Andreas font they are going with, at least compared to the atrocious LAC logo. 

Proposed colours change from 92 contained orange and a seafoam green colour. 
Here's an old sketch of the proposed uniform:

EKcnIQ1.jpg

Since the Clippers name has very little history, not ties to LA, this actually makes sense.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Since the Clippers name has very little history, not ties to LA, this actually makes sense.

They've been in LA for near 40 years, good or bad that's a lot of history.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:50 PM, Tore said:

EKcnIQ1.jpg

Wow, you actually found the uniform. I have never seen that before. We've all seen the logo but never saw what the uniforms were planned to be.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:28 AM, colortv said:

The name has history

But does that give it any currency?  The jury is most definitely out on that one.  

I can’t think of a pro sports name in LA with less currency, more disposable, than “Clippers”.   Then again, I said the same thing about “Nets” when they moved to Brooklyn, and they changed everything but the name. 

On 8/3/2019 at 3:32 PM, colortv said:

I‘Ve seen no evidence of that. They’re the third most popular team in SD per a recent poll I saw from one of the ticket sites far behind the Rams. And Chargers ratings in SD are less than half what they were during the down years before they left. 

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The name has history

But does that give it any currency?  The jury is most definitely out on that one.  

I can’t think of a pro sports name in LA with less currency, more disposable, than “Clippers”.   Then again, I said the same thing about “Nets” when they moved to Brooklyn, and they changed everything but the name. 

It really is an interesting issue. There can't be very many teams that have been around for around 40 years that have a brand you could argue is disposable. The Clippers might be in a category of their own. 

Edited by gosioux76
embarrassing typos

On 8/23/2019 at 6:28 PM, colortv said:

But is any of it history worth keeping? Decades of being a punchline and beholden to a racist POS owner aren’t really something worth celebrating. They should take a hint from the cross town soccer team LAFC who are functionally Chivas USA reborn and rebranded much to their benefit. 

"Clips" is a fun nickname, and I do think the resuscitation of a bad brand is attractive to many of their newfound fans.

You could have renamed the Warriors a decade ago and I don't think most people would have cared very much. Now, though, that's completely off the table. A couple of WCF trips (or even championships) completely change the calculus on "Clippers."

The last teams to rebrand were various franchises caught up in "Hornets" issues, and the ultimate (correct) decision was to make it right in Charlotte and let New Orleans stake its own course. We can argue about how successful New Orleans was, of course.

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Wow, you actually found the uniform. I have never seen that before. We've all seen the logo but never saw what the uniforms were planned to be.

That might or might not be in my queue to bring to (digital) life in a new article... 😉

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

But is any of it history worth keeping? Decades of being a punchline and beholden to a racist POS owner aren’t really something worth celebrating. They should take a hint from the cross town soccer team LAFC who are functionally China’s USA reborn and rebranded much to their benefit. 

What? No, even factoring in autocorrect's error. 

5 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

It really is an interesting issue. There can't be very mean teams that have been around for around 40 years that have a brand you could argue is disposable. The Clippers might be in a category of their own. 

I think that’s very much the case.

On 8/23/2019 at 4:50 PM, Tore said:

EKcnIQ1.jpg

I'm sorry, but keeping the name "Clippers" and eliminating any reference to what it is (a fast sailing ship) was bad enough.

To then move on with the same team name, but using imagery totally unrelated to it, would have been really stupid. 

Now, some may argue that the wave imagery is "place representative", not "nickname representative", but I'm not buying that.  It would be like if back when the Arizona Diamondbacks or Arizona Coyotes came into existence--- and had a cactus as their primary image/logo. 

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The name has history

Even the Nets never had the dubious distinction of being a pop culture punchline.  And the name works in that they came from the ABA which is remembered in big part because of their quirky nicknames.

I'm not opposed to changing the Clippers name.  The issue is whether they can come up with something that will be embraced to a level that outweighs even what little currency the Clippers name actually has.  It's actually a much more difficult task than I think a lot of people realize.